Someone found Nicky- Herald sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Someone found Nicky- Herald sun

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
Nicky Winmar sees a bright future
Warwick Green | May 24, 2009 12:00am

NICKY Winmar, the man whose 1993 "black pride" gesture was pivotal in changing attitudes towards Aboriginal footballers, believes the AFL has made fantastic advances in combating racism in the 16 years since. "I reckon the AFL's doing a great job. What they do to support the footballers, and not just the indigenous footballers, is fantastic," the former St Kilda champion said.

"I reckon the Indigenous Round is a fantastic idea. There's the Michael Long Walk, the Dreamtime Game. They're all great things to recognise the Aboriginal people's pride, and when the time comes around it's a bit like Anzac Day for us."

Winmar famously responded to racist taunts from the Victoria Park crowd after an emotional victory in 1993 by lifting his St Kilda jumper, pointing to his skin and declaring "I'm black and I'm proud".

It was a defining moment in the racism-in-sport debate and led to significant steps from the AFL to address player and crowd behaviour.

Winmar, who, at 43, is about to become a grandfather in August, suggested the AFL had done more than change attitudes and stamp out racism.

It had helped indigenous players get a leg up in life and given them opportunities to become role models.

"The great thing is (indigenous footballers) are getting more out of the game from the working and education side of things," he said.

"They're not just sitting around when they're not playing footy, they're out doing something to better themselves.

"Some of these kids come from broken marriages, or remote areas, and footy can sort of give them a second home, where they don't have to worry about vilification or any of that stuff.

"But people still have to remember that the indigenous boys will always have a place to go back to, and having played AFL helps them to be role models for their own family and community and they can help a lot of people in that area. That's what you're seeing a lot now.

"I watch a lot of footy now because there are so many Aboriginal boys playing. Not only that, but footy's good to watch again. Not like when you first retire and you think, 'oh, they're not as good as we were' and all that garbage. The game's picked up a notch.

"I really love seeing how St Kilda's playing. There's a lot more skill and pace. And the good thing is they don't have play on some of the surfaces we had to play on, which lets them play that fast and skilful footy."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Duggie
Club Player

A truly fantastic post about a fantastic identity. He should have been at the G last night. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
saintDal
Club Player

My dad actually ran into him last week and was nice enough to sign an autograph for me. His mum lives in the same town as my parents so they see him every now and then.