Perspective on yesterday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Perspective on yesterday

I actually thoguht yesterday was a great effort by the team and said more about how for the tam has come rather than the thrashingsof sub standard teams. Essendon is the quickest team inthe AFL and was coming off a 9 day break . StKilda was coming off a 6 day break.
In round 2 that may not be a big deal , by round 8 it takes affect. The saints were out ontheir feet in the final 15 minutes yet had the class and poise to retain possession and kick the goals that mattered( well done ROO- please note Sheahan)

Inaccuracy early gave Ess a chance but all those saying how bad we played etc, get real. Best win for the year as things were all against us including the run of play and still managed to win..
That is what good teams do.

Loyal
Club Player

i saw roo accelerate in a way that i have not seen him accelerate before.
he was dare i say it - EXPLOSIVE!
kosi is a GOD.
grammy showed what he is made of.
joey was awesome as always he is an elite runner.
a lot of handling errors on the night. but i was entertained.
in the words of RL a solid performance.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

And we're on top, having won eight straight for only the fourth time in our history and with the second best percentage ever for a team that has won its first eight games of the season. May we suffer many more such misfortunes in our future years!

HarveysDeciple

I was amazed how out on their feet the boys looked in the last term.

Yet we always looked safe. Just held them at bay with some classier play from the likes of Lenny, Chipper, Roo and Gardiner.

Loyal
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:And we're on top, having won eight straight for only the fourth time in our history and with the second best percentage ever for a team that has won its first eight games of the season. May we suffer many more such misfortunes in our future years!
oh, did we forget about that record margin over collingwood aswell. life is PURE HELL.

Foz
Club Player

It gives Ross Lyon something to work with this week, even with the shorter break going into y'days game there are some areas to note with Essendon.

1) the zone. It looked from level 3, Essendon held the kickout zone very well and there were no easy getaways.
2) a few times Essendon had forwards in the 50 without an opponent. Blakey played off his man but at times the pace coming back through the midfield hurt us.
3) the need for another lead up forward playing through the corridor. We tend to line up with Gwilt/Kosi/ Roo/ Milne and McQualter closer to the middle. I would look at playing Goddard as the one that presents around the 70 metre zone.

A good win all the same - just some areas to tweak

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:I would look at playing Goddard as the one that presents around the 70 metre zone.
that would be worth looking at next time a team employs the mega-flood against us.

station bj just outside the 50 and get him to boot it straight over the flood.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

basically i think that after quarter time essendon played harder, faster, more motivated footy - saints looked more than a little fatigued. That little drop in intensity is normally enough to cost you the game.

That we held them at arms length all day speaks volumes for the team. Greater maturity, strength, and football smarts.

I am worried about the fatigue levels over the season (and in these next few weeks) as our level of intensity looks very draining. It's why i believe we need to risk rotating players.

Overalll - a top effort by essendon who gave their all - and a top effort by the saints to hold them at bay!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BakesFan
SS Life Member

James Hird commented 'OTC' that the difference between a 9 day break and a six day break is "Massive"; so it's no wonder our boys looked a little under-done...
But all that really matters is: We got the 4 point. :D

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
widereceiver
Club Player

It is unacceptable to be happy to have won a close game after an abbreviated break. It seems you have to call for some players to be dumped. Gwilt is a popular choice, followed by Mini, CJ and Blake.

For the radical dumpsters, of course, Zac Dawson is an automatic out for Max.

Don't misunderstand, #8 is a hero at our house but he has played one VFA game with no pre-season. But, what the hell, Max is the dumpsters' hero too, dump the kid.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar