How to stay fresh?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

How to stay fresh?

Im not getting ahead of myself but this IMO is a serious issues for us with this style of footy particularly.

Geelong as an example make changes to their line up often - it surely helps keep them fresh, gives the guys in twos incentives.....Im not unconvinced we shouldtn at some point look at the same.

Reality is the years long, we arent going to just cruise along with an unchanged line up for the next 14 games plus finals so why not give guys like Armo, McEvoy, Maguire etc a look in when we can?

Depending on opposition is it time to freshen up some players? - to me Ball looks knackered, Hayes too and these guys do the grunt work...Id hate to see them limp to rd 22....

I know the concentional "dont change winning line up", and "dont flirt with form" theory but staying fresh is a massive worry for us imo.

“Yeah….nah””
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Might happen over the next month. Keep it the same for one more week,then give a couple a run against Demons and Kangas.
Hit Carlton with everything, then have the fortnight off.

Bring back the Lockett era
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Top 2 is a priority for us first and foremost

If we can get ourselves into the situation whereby even if we did lose a few games we could still comfortably maintain our top 2 position then resting our gun players (ie: a week off no playing Sandy) can become a very real option closer to the finals

In the meantime I would prefer to play them - remember that it has been mentioned in the media that the boys aren't training as hard as previous years during the week in order to keep bodies somewhat fresh for gameday - misson initiative??? I don't know but it seems to be working

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Maybe I am missing something here but I dont think any club rests players early in the season. If we are going by last nights game we looked tired as a team so who would you rest. Someone said Hayes looked tired well I would like to see him when he is up and running. Also try telling these players we are resting you this week. Dont think you would get a positive reaction.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Let's go to the movies.....

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Geelong have changed their side a fair bit but they have had a fair few injuries. If you are winning with no passengers there should really be no resting of players. They are so strong even without the best player (Gazza) and Chappy they are still able to smash the opposition. Sides hardly ever rest uninjured players.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

A key aspect to staying fresh is monitoring training during the week - the intensity of sessions should vary according to how long the breaks are between matches. Additionally, specific training regimes can be established for players with ongoing injury concerns - to help keep them fit. I'm confident that Misson and his crew can get the job done, as it seems to be working so far.

The Saints are coming!
saintly_safes
Club Player

I think it has to happen or we will get to round 17 & be dead on our feet. It is so hard to keep this sort of effort up for 22 games + finals so the match commitee will have to tread a very fine line between putting a winning team on the park without risking the players getting burnt out .We have been pretty lucky with injury so far this season & the guys that have played have really given it their all but it will take its toll if they dont get some sort of a respite come finals time

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Listerine does the trick.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Lets not forget the 3 extra days the dons had in their legs. Massive difference me thinks.

Still a solid idea, but youd have to be extremely careful who and when etc.. not a quick decision I wouldnt expect.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Geelong have changed their side a fair bit but they have had a fair few injuries. If you are winning with no passengers there should really be no resting of players. They are so strong even without the best player (Gazza) and Chappy they are still able to smash the opposition. Sides hardly ever rest uninjured players.
There is the key.

Watched them at close range last week.

They definitely took their foot off in the second half, and were without Ablett, Chapman, Ottens, Milburn.

Ablett and Chapman - 1st two selected in the midfield of almost any other team. Ottens a champion ruck/forward and Milburn kicks back and relaxes from the 20 (?) min mark of Q1.

Yet the Cats had blokes who could just step up and get the job done.

Geelong is just not scared of upping the rate of their second tier players, particularly mids. They have so many of them.

In a way they are almost blessed by some being injured.

When it comes to rotating players, I think let's wait til they really need it. But when the time comes, can we cover it with our depth?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
Goose is king wrote:Geelong have changed their side a fair bit but they have had a fair few injuries. If you are winning with no passengers there should really be no resting of players. They are so strong even without the best player (Gazza) and Chappy they are still able to smash the opposition. Sides hardly ever rest uninjured players.
There is the key.

Watched them at close range last week.

They definitely took their foot off in the second half, and were without Ablett, Chapman, Ottens, Milburn.

Ablett and Chapman - 1st two selected in the midfield of almost any other team. Ottens a champion ruck/forward and Milburn kicks back and relaxes from the 20 (?) min mark of Q1.

Yet the Cats had blokes who could just step up and get the job done.

Geelong is just not scared of upping the rate of their second tier players, particularly mids. They have so many of them.

In a way they are almost blessed by some being injured.

When it comes to rotating players, I think let's wait til they really need it. But when the time comes, can we cover it with our depth?
I can understand the logic about resisting resting players etc but theres another way to look at this..

Geelong,it could be said, are exposing their depth to the big stage that to me has to help in their development and when/if they are needed surely that has to help?

Weve played McEvoy.......IF we are playing undefeated over the next few weeks why wouldnt you consider an Armitage - even a Stevens (depending on form warranting a game ofcourse). These are the future - why wouldnt you get games into them IF you can and at the same time perhaps manage some other players workload? IMHO its the in/unders of Ball/Hayes that do the grunt work that could do with being managed?

Is it any surprise that Sunday was our lowest tackling game this year? - its a game style that is physical it has to take a toll - sure trot out the adage of "dont change a winning side" but doesnt that fly in the face of the "seasons a marathon"??....

One could argue guys like Geary/Eddy have only come on cause theyve had the chance - yes they have delivered - but they have also had the chance.

IF we play to our maximum thw difference between us and Geelong just may end up being depth.

“Yeah….nah””
StSteven
Club Player

Some of their injuries are minor but a good excuse to rest players. Also used to trial younger players. The have had a winner in Mumford who may even take over from Blake when Ottens returns.

Word around the traps is they blame last years GF loss to injuries that were carried into GF and this year their emphasis is on player management to be "cherry ripe" for September.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: I can understand the logic about resisting resting players etc but theres another way to look at this..

Geelong,it could be said, are exposing their depth to the big stage that to me has to help in their development and when/if they are needed surely that has to help?

Weve played McEvoy.......IF we are playing undefeated over the next few weeks why wouldnt you consider an Armitage - even a Stevens (depending on form warranting a game ofcourse). These are the future - why wouldnt you get games into them IF you can and at the same time perhaps manage some other players workload? IMHO its the in/unders of Ball/Hayes that do the grunt work that could do with being managed?

Is it any surprise that Sunday was our lowest tackling game this year? - its a game style that is physical it has to take a toll - sure trot out the adage of "dont change a winning side" but doesnt that fly in the face of the "seasons a marathon"??....

One could argue guys like Geary/Eddy have only come on cause theyve had the chance - yes they have delivered - but they have also had the chance.

IF we play to our maximum thw difference between us and Geelong just may end up being depth.
Not arguing that at all Teffers, and can see both sides of it. Our young blokes have come on beautifully this year, and we have more waiting in the wings.

Geelong is exposing their depth because they are not scared of doing so - and they shouldn't be either!!!

If we knock off the Brions nect week, would certainly consider resting a couple of slightly hampered blokes against the Dees on the GC.

Sunday was our lowest tackling game because we couldn't catch those quick little blokes, but still we won and got the four points.

Halfway thru watching the replay - but our tackles didn't seem to stick like they had been, because they're slippery little suckers.

But RL and CJ - truly magnificent, both of them. :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Some of their injuries are minor but a good excuse to rest players. Also used to trial younger players. The have had a winner in Mumford who may even take over from Blake when Ottens returns.

Word around the traps is they blame last years GF loss to injuries that were carried into GF and this year their emphasis is on player management to be "cherry ripe" for September.
yeah it makes sense.

I mean look how much we suffered losing Ball last year?- imagine IF we can keep our core fresh AND start to further develop the depth?

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
StSteven wrote:Some of their injuries are minor but a good excuse to rest players. Also used to trial younger players. The have had a winner in Mumford who may even take over from Blake when Ottens returns.

yeah it makes sense.

I mean look how much we suffered losing Ball last year?- imagine IF we can keep our core fresh AND start to further develop the depth?
If that's the word around the traps, they are in denial IMO. Let them ignore the cracks that showed on GF day, it's to our advantage....

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

good in theory but in practise?

Don't flirt with form, but saying that any slight niggle that they would normal play with rest them.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: How to stay fresh?

i know what you're saying teflon, but i think the best policy is to put your best fit 22 out there every week.

i think that is what ross has attempted to do, but has been hampered (if you can call it that) by the fact that we keep on winning.

imo the moment you get away from selecting sides on form and merit you are in trouble.

no player, not even a well established one like lenny or ball, is going to be happy about being rotated out of the side for an enforced rest if his form has been good.

fwiw there are players (like raph and goose and max) that i'd dearly love to see back in, but it looks as though they're just going to have to grab their chance when it comes.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 19 May 2009 1:59am, edited 2 times in total.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

What happens Round 22. Say we're 18/3,got top 2 in the bag,and win lose or draw we know who we're playing week one. Melbourne are sitting on 4 wins. I say we forfeit the game, win/win situation.

1/ We have a nice freshen up for week one of the finals
2/ We stop them from getting the priority pick by handing them victory, which inturn makes it a little bit harder for them to become a powerhouse in a few years time.

I think we should seriously consider this option,it's fool proof

Bring back the Lockett era