Were you there when the lights went out??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintm
Club Player

Were you there when the lights went out??

Was watching a bit of "The Back Page" on Fox Sports earlier this week and one of their features was the game between the Saints and Essendon at Waverly Park where the lights went out. Apparently it is 13 years ago this month - doesn't time fly.

I remember the mid-week replay of the game but little else of the event.

Were you one of the youngsters standing in your Saints guernsey around a makeshift bonfire in the middle of the ground?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Were you there when the lights went out??

i was there. not at the bonfire, but at the game.

saint vince
Club Player

Was there with my dad brother and sister. I remember standing around for about 30 minutes not knowingy what was going on and then we decided to go home only to spend the next hour walking around the car park looking for the car. It is amazingy how much light the ground gave off over the car park. Didn't make it to the midweek completion.

I do remember that James Hird played in the midweek game but not on the weekend.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I was there. I also went back for the 2nd 1/2 on the Tuesday Night :evil: :twisted: !!

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I would love to see footage, any footage online?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The ferels (ours & theirs) running around the boundry with the point post that they ripped out looked pretty funny !!

rexy
SS Life Member

I was there, didnt run on the ground though. Just stood and watched a whilst and then decided to go. Didnt bother to go back for the completion of the game. think it was the Tuesday night they did this.

Maybe this year?
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I was there and at the time I was consulting to the AFL at the time ... let's just say that they were NOT prepared for that eventuality at all.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Was there in Bay 35.

Which was my "haunt" prior to the move to Docklands.

I could have sat in the Members beinga Social Club Member...but I preferred the sunny (well for day games!!!) side.

I went back for the conclusion too....so I have been part of the "longest" Aussie Rules match ever.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
realdeal
Club Player

I wasn't there but my mate was.. he actually ended up taking home the padding off one of the goal posts! :roll:

Last time i saw it was in his wardrobe 10 years ago so i'll have to see if he still has it! :lol:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:I would love to see footage, any footage online?
in having a quick look I found the incident is listed here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi ... _in_sports

[edit] 1996

During a night Australian Football League Round 10 match at Waverley Park in Melbourne between the Essendon Football Club and St Kilda Football Club, an unexpected pitch invasion occurred when the lights blacked out during the third quarter. In the midst of the chaos, a few thousand restless fans rioted and stormed the ground. Some lit bonfires in the centre pitch. Two of the smaller goal (behind) posts were removed by spectators. The incident was filmed on Network Seven.[21]

Violent incident????

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I was there with my dad, waited half an hour or so and left which was before

1. The bonfire
2. Before they gave out free tickets

Darren
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:I would love to see footage, any footage online?
id love to see a replay of it aswell... :)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:During a night Australian Football League Round 10 match at Waverley Park in Melbourne between the Essendon Football Club and St Kilda Football Club, an unexpected pitch invasion occurred when the lights blacked out during the third quarter. In the midst of the chaos, a few thousand restless fans rioted and stormed the ground. Some lit bonfires in the centre pitch. Two of the smaller goal (behind) posts were removed by spectators. The incident was filmed on Network Seven.[21]

Violent incident????
Don't know where you got this from saintbrat, but I was there, and there was no riot and nobody stormed the ground.

The media must have been into beat ups back then too.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
No1_Saint
Club Player

Was there....but got dragged out pretty quickly by a mates overprotective parents. I remember pissing my pants laughing when the footage of fans in the middle of the ground warming themselves by the bonfire was shown on the news.

Priceless. Was gutted not to be their firsthand though when the ferals took control. :twisted:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saintbrat wrote:During a night Australian Football League Round 10 match at Waverley Park in Melbourne between the Essendon Football Club and St Kilda Football Club, an unexpected pitch invasion occurred when the lights blacked out during the third quarter. In the midst of the chaos, a few thousand restless fans rioted and stormed the ground. Some lit bonfires in the centre pitch. Two of the smaller goal (behind) posts were removed by spectators. The incident was filmed on Network Seven.[21]

Violent incident????
Don't know where you got this from saintbrat, but I was there, and there was no riot and nobody stormed the ground.

The media must have been into beat ups back then too.

Maybe with the lights out you were not seeing too well????

Depends what you term a riot....but fans were definitely running amok as described....including onto the ground.

I remember people near me trying to souvenier signs etc....and as I left I witnessed lots of acts of vandalism.

Initially people just sat..waiting for the lights to come back on...but when they did not.....actions by quite a number became increasingly ferral.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

What did the players do, i saw one photo of the team, in the middle of the ground.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I was in the members stand. Took this delightful young girl from Uni to the game. She got all frightened and clingy when the lights went out :P Good times...

Players all huddled in the middle for a while...so did the umps.

Then they came off and hovered around the race for a bit, then they went into the rooms.

Then all hell broke loose. Mob mentality. Was pretty entertaining really.

To this day I still cannot believe that the bombers were allowed to change their list for the continuation.

What a freakin joke that was/is. Seriously, how can that even be seen as being a fair deal.

Yet another reason to despise Essendon and all they stand for.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
noblejohn
Club Player

No1_Saint wrote:Was there....but got dragged out pretty quickly by a mates overprotective parents.
I was there and the following tuesday with my 2 kids and as a parent with kids it was a bit frightening. We can laugh now but it could have turned real nasty. Your mates parents did the right thing and don't warrant the criticism

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I left before the bon fire and spent about an hour looking for my car- where is a bon fire when you need it.

Waverley was a bitch for getting your car out anyway but with no lights and a decent amount of mud it was a nightmare.

It was an eventful place I remember the score board catching on fire there one day -no one at the game seemed to care.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I was there with a few mates. My Dad lost his wallet before we got to the ground and we all got in for free. Can you imagine something like that happening these days? I can't. It was also my birthday. After they called the game off - we all went home. We were right on the very tip top level - I think it was the first time I ever went to Waverley park.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

I was there and I was 13 years old.

I remember thinking it was hilarious at the time. On thinking back to what happened with the posts and the bonfires, it was actually closer to a riot (the dangerous meaning of riot, not 'haha that was a riot' ).

Drew some parallels with English soccer hooliganism. Utter chaos.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Superboot
SS Life Member

I was there, and the mention of Hird's inclusion a few days later (when the final 20 minutes or so was played) was somewhat controversial at the time.

There was argument as to whether the same players should have to take the field in order to complete the game.

I think the AFL got it wrong, but what's new?

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I was there sitting in the outer on a really chilly night, the lights went out and it got even more chilly

I laughed as the behind post appeared out of the darkness as it did its lap of honour carried by the supporters.

It was more scary out in the car park, trying to find the car in the darkness and then having to drive off as idiot Essendon supporters starting banging on my car roof. All a part of the mob mentality taking over.

Out of sheer principle I turned up for the uncompleted game and it was funny to see people wearing various miners hats or hats with light globes attached to the brims in case history repeated itself.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I was there and went to the re start of the game later in the week.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.