Screw it, I'm renewing...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Screw it, I'm renewing...

Hey guys,

I originally wasn't intending to renew my membership this year or even go to many games due to my wedding later this year. I have to scrounge every penny for that and didn't think I'd be able to afford one this year.

But two things have happened (well actually three)

1) Since we're not very rich and trying to fund everything ourselves, my fiancee and I are actually planning a budget wedding and we are really making some savings. I've learnt that a 158 dollar membership is really not going to be such a strain on our wedding fund.

2) I've been to three games already this year and I've really enjoyed it so far. But that's already $40 I've spent right there. If I went to another say eight, that's $88 more and I want to show my support by being a member so its more benficial to actually get a full membership.

3) I have not expected this start to our season. I am excited and want to be on board for real. I thought this would be a transition year but now, I realise we could actually go somewhere which leads me to my dilemma.

Should I renew my membership? I have the money, I have the desire and and I have the ability still. (I don't think its too late is it?)

But is the reason we've done so well because I haven't renewed my membership, what if the second I renew we start to lose? I don't think I can live with that on my head.

(I am of course showboating, I'm signing up and getting back on board as soon as I get home tonight and find my membership papers!)

I still feel a tiny bit guilty when I read of these people putting themselves into debt to support their club and I can't make a tiny contribution... so I'm killing my guilt and showing my support - putting my money where my mouth is. Make room for one more on the bandwagon, I'm jumping on board.

p.s. I know it seems like I'm only jumping on board due to our good start but I'm really not. I've wanted to be on board all along and I've decided I now can.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Get back on board mate, the sainters are flying and footy is fun again!!!! On a serious note its a bloody disgrace that we are struggling to get more than 30,000 members. I shudder when I see that both Nth and Melbourne have more members than we do.

yipper
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:Get back on board mate, the sainters are flying and footy is fun again!!!! On a serious note its a bloody disgrace that we are struggling to get more than 30,000 members. I shudder when I see that both Nth and Melbourne have more members than we do.
Yes it is just amazing - so many members from last year have not renewed this year!! Why not? If you can't afford it - or have some serious issues you are dealing with - then fine. But, what about the rest of ya?? Surely, even blind freddy could tell ya we are pretty exciting to watch this year. The membership ppl tell me that many of our members this year are actually newbies - but a truckload have not renewed from last year, which, if they had of, we would be up around 35-36000 by now.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

The option of paying monthly at 25 approx is a great way to stay a member.

It would be interesting why people have not renewed.

Before Im 85
saintly
Saintsational Legend

part of the reason for non-renewal s of memberships is the stupid timeslots the afl gave us.

since our next home game is round 8 we still might pick up more memberships.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

great post.

We need more of it.

As BJ said on a radio ad recently, we are NOT VIABLE unless we have at LEAST 30K members!

When will those farkwits that haven't renewed get it?

If we make a HUGE LOSS it's very much THEIR FAULT!

It's time us members turn on those who are GUILTY!!!

Sign up NOW, and buy a Social Club membership, or forget about BITCHING if you don't get any chance to buy a Grand Final ticket should we continue in this form.

Some people are stupid, some just don't get it, and some are both!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:great post.

We need more of it.

As BJ said on a radio ad recently, we are NOT VIABLE unless we have at LEAST 30K members!

Sign up NOW, and buy a Social Club membership, or forget about BITCHING if you don't get any chance to buy a Grand Final ticket should we continue in this form.

Yes fancy a FW who has lost his job not renewing. I wish we had a huge membership total but to call every person who didnt renew a FW is very harsh.

markp
Saintsational Legend

We need more of it.

You should be in charge of Club marketing.

SaintHomer
Club Player

my advice is have the wedding day that you and your fiancee want, whether that be budget or whatever, and make the day about you two, no-one else. its a day you'll remember forever.

as for the membership, sign if you think you can afford it, but not because anyone pressures you into it. things are pretty tought out there for many and unfortunately luxuries are the first to go. you can be a great supporter and saints fan without being a financial member (contrary to what some on here believe). i've been a reserved seat member for years, but recently got married myself, had a baby girl and moved interstate. i still get a membership, but just interstate as a full social membership when i live interstate is not viable. oh, but i do get my little girl a "little angels" membership! seeing her in her saints gear is a luxury i'll always sacrifice for.

hey, that makes me think. we should have done some marketing around rudd the dudd's handout! we might have been able to get some more memberships through that.

all the best mate, with the wedding and life.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

about *&%&*&%# time
:wink:

it's not that much if you can squeeze it

I too saw a few signing up at the game---- get on board

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

We need more of it.

You know what, I used to get pissed off that people would say "If you don't pay up you're not a real supporter" but Finey made a great point the other night (it was like three weeks ago actually) Membership is what keeps clubs alive. If people don't sign up, the club doesn't get the money and if they don't get the money, they go bankrupt. We're a very weak club off-field I believe. We need strong on-field success and we need to translate that into strong off-field success.

savatage
SS Life Member

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:

We need more of it.

You know what, I used to get pissed off that people would say "If you don't pay up you're not a real supporter" but Finey made a great point the other night (it was like three weeks ago actually) Membership is what keeps clubs alive. If people don't sign up, the club doesn't get the money and if they don't get the money, they go bankrupt. We're a very weak club off-field I believe. We need strong on-field success and we need to translate that into strong off-field success.
I go to probably 1-2 games a year if I'm lucky.

I usually gig when we're playing. I just buy the membership as a donation, pretty much what you said - I know it helps keep the club alive & I almost consider it akin to paying my rego.
Last edited by savatage on Mon 04 May 2009 6:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:about *&%&*&%# time
:wink:

it's not that much if you can squeeze it

I too saw a few signing up at the game---- get on board
My dad did Saintbrat and it made me so want to jump on board. The missus and I were discussing the wedding funds the other night and realised that there's more than enough in there so I made a decision to day that I'm jumping back on board.

And Sainthomer, don't worry mate, one of the joys about our wedding planning is that we can still get some fantastic things that we want and that mean a lot to us and we're sticking very close to the budget we've set ourselves (obvoiusly, you gotta aloow some luxuries)

Cheers for the posts guys, I was wondering if people would call me a bandwagoner and say I should've signed up ages ago. I left it last last year too but only coz I was lazy.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

savatage wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:

We need more of it.

I go to probably 1-2 games a year if I'm lucky.

I usually gig when we're playing. I just buy the membership as a donation, pretty much what you said - I know it helps keep the club alive & I almost consider it akin to paying my rego.
yep, that's what I did last year. Money is a pretty good reason to not buy a membership, I never had money when I was younger so that's why I could never afford it. But if you can, there really is no excuse. Especially the way we're playing right now!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

two birds, one stone..

Get married at a game...At half time perhaps.

The yanks do that sort of shyt all the time...

30000 groomsman & bridesmaids...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

while your at it buy a $25 cheer squad membership.
it will be worth it come Grand Final day :wink:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
noob
Club Player

maybe the reason was because we got hammered in the finals last year not expecting to succeed again this year. if there was a premiership our figures would go up like hawthorns.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Well, rang em up this morning and am now a signed, sealed sainter for the fourth year in a row.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

noob wrote:maybe the reason was because we got hammered in the finals last year not expecting to succeed again this year. if there was a premiership our figures would go up like hawthorns.
Thats a pathetic reason. And if I remember correctly Collingwood didn't hammer us!!!!!! We hammered them. Spliting straws I know, but if money isn't an issue there is no excuses. I'm not a fan of people saying "I can't get to many games", pptt, put your money where your mouth is. It doesn't cost much if you do a monthly direct debit.

I can't believe how poor our crowds have been. Yet these same fans would be the first to scream if we had to relocate interstate!

Support the club peoples, they need it.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
ctqs
Club Player

If you can afford to re-join without placing too much pressure on the budget, then get on board for sure and welcome back!
There are a lot of people who are doing it tough, and may not be able to sign up for financial reasons. I know there are installment plans available, but if the club can help those who've helped the club when it's gone through tough times, that'd be great.
For anyone who hasn't re-joined because they've had enough, well that's up to them. I don't begrudge them their choice. In fact I welcome it. I don't want fickle types so it's better they go now because we don't need wishy-washy ones around the place.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

When is the cut off for membership figures to be counted - unfortunately we are cash poor at the moment but it should be settled really soon and I will be upgrading my sideline membership and getting CS membership

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

We have a number of Sunday games

Virtually all Junior Football comps on Sunday

DOES impact on many I know.....a few have bought even though they miss games.....

still working on few.

saint4life
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:We have a number of Sunday games

Virtually all Junior Football comps on Sunday

DOES impact on many I know.....a few have bought even though they miss games.....

still working on few.
yeahh. My school has Saturday sport, so a lot of Saturday saints games are a no for me.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
savatage
SS Life Member

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Well, rang em up this morning and am now a signed, sealed sainter for the fourth year in a row.
Good effort dude :)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What also pisses me off is that surprise, surprise, we rated the roof off on Foxtel on Sunday night, yet bugger all showed up.

This pattern of great TV ratings for Saints games doesn't seem to translate into decent crowds anymore.

If we end up with less members then Melbourne, then I reckon the whole marketing department should either walk out, or get walked out :twisted: :evil: :idea: