Lessons of 2004

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Lessons of 2004

Like most folks, I was caught up in the euphoria of the ten-game winning streak of 2004 and thought that it would flow on to an inevitable Flag win. We all know how our dreams vanished with that last effort of Brent Guerra at AAMI stadium against Port Adelaide.
After five straight wins in 09 I am happy with the efforts of the side and can see similarities to the 04/05 sides in the way the victories have been gained. The glaring difference between the sides lies in the maturity and experience of players like Roo, Dal, Lenny, Kosi, Joey, Milney and Sam Fisher gained in the years from that disappointment.
Its early days, but there appears to be a hardness and purpose about the boys that carries the mark of a team on a mission. I'm ready to enjoy each and every match this year!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Loyal
Club Player

we will win the flag in 2009 :)

Footy Classified - NO ROOM FOR THE, who farted?
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Main lesson from 2004 - don't get injured.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Main lesson from 2004 - don't get injured.
Main lesson from 2004 - an 85% fit Aaron Hamill is a lot better than a 100% fit Trent Knobel.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saints66
Club Player

And don't go to the movies to watch a girly movie!

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

and don't pick Cain Ackland and Mark McGough in the draft.

Megamaguire
Club Player

"ready to enjoy each and every match this year!"
Like the players not getting in front of themselves and delivering one beautiful quarter after another in the first month of 2009 i am also making an effort to focus just on the next game and enjoy each round one at a time. What the players are developing may still have a way to go before they perfect the Rossi system of winning games.
To see J.Geary come into the team and deliver so brilliently says a lot about how this team is communicating amongst itself and coming to play on game day.
Even if the players deliver another 10 wins in a row we don't need to wonder if they are the best team ever as some media wag posed in 2004 for want of a better story.
The lesson of that season was to know the value of closing ears to meaningless media speculation.

Geewrong in 2008 is the perfect cautionary tale. In spite of devastating form throughout the season the final game of the year caught them lacking.

Leave the bandwagon for those that love jumping on and off as Sainters stay cool and just be happy our players are obviously serious at reaching the top 4 and hopefully a grand final and then...

Geary and Gilbert are really increasing the depth of the team and who knows we could be really spoilt with a few others pushing through for selection as it dawns on them that to play in this side in 2009 may well mean a grand final appearance.

Lovin it right now and lovin the team focus!

G O S A I N T S!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I got married on the day our 10 game winning streak come to an end against the Swans in 2004.

That's all I want to say about that horrible year.

I love you wife

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Lessons of 2004

After the years of pre-season expectation from media "gurus" "Pundits" "mundits" "experts" "textperts" and the whole footy world and the letdowns that followed, I decided to switch off from reading any papers, listening to any radio, watching any telly (other than the games themselves AND "Before the Game") and go back to focussing only on the upcoming game. So far its been great and a lot more enjoyable than previous seasons (5-zip helps too! :wink: )
To see the side recover from the loss of Harves and keep playing such intense footy has warmed this old heart!
I guess the main lessons from 2004 for all of us is to work hard at winning
and not EXPECT the win, but rather WORK for it!
Hope to see the streak continue this week!
Regards to all

Dave :D

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Maybe its just me, but I see VAST VAST differences between this side and that of 04. I cant be bothered going into why to be honest, but Ill take this mob, AND the gameplan anyday over the 04 one.

For the last two years, Id never thought this would be the case. Nice.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I got married on the day our 10 game winning streak come to an end against the Swans in 2004....I love you wife
Aha! So, it was your fault! I'm glad you've finally come clean!

Any Saints fan planning to make the ultimate decision should delay such plans until the 27th September.

plumtire
Club Player

Lessons of 2004

Now I know you to be the resident feelgood on here mr. jigger but if people want to get ahead of themselves or lift the lid may I respecrfully ask your jiggness to just let them enjoy themselves in their way its great that you dont get ahead of yourself but please dont stop others theres a good old fellow! :wink:

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

anyone else glad geelong are also flying??
unlike 04, we have them to keep us on our toes.

Im hoping the cats continue their good form to keep our lads from sliding into complacency.
Having said that, i wish geelong all the best up until around September 25.
:D

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Even better a lesson from 1997, don't have te same team for 10 weeks before the finals.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

ausfatcat wrote:Even better a lesson from 1997, don't have te same team for 10 weeks before the finals.

Not sure what that means.

We had lots of forced changes in the last 10 weeks of '97.

Everitt, Vidovic, Smith, and a fit Matthew Young would have made a huge difference on Grand Final day.

Shaggy
Club Player

duckduckduckgoose wrote:anyone else glad geelong are also flying??
unlike 04, we have them to keep us on our toes.

Im hoping the cats continue their good form to keep our lads from sliding into complacency.
Having said that, i wish geelong all the best up until around September 25.
:D
Why would you be complacent against Geelong which has only lost 3 games in 2 years :shock: :shock: .

Geelong are unbelievable but we just maybe be as good now :D .

I cannot wait for the finals win or lose :idea: :wink:

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Alves said one of his great regrets of 97 was the fact the team didn't blood other players before the finals and when Vid and Everitt went down Cook had very little senior game time that year before representing the saints in the granny.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I got married on the day our 10 game winning streak come to an end against the Swans in 2004....I love you wife
Aha! So, it was your fault! I'm glad you've finally come clean!

Any Saints fan planning to make the ultimate decision should delay such plans until the 27th September.
Ahh funny you should say that....because a MW regular (who rarely reads here so I can talk about her) is getting married on Grand Final eve......to a Carlton fan lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

ausfatcat wrote:Alves said one of his great regrets of 97 was the fact the team didn't blood other players before the finals and when Vid and Everitt went down Cook had very little senior game time that year before representing the saints in the granny.
Thanks for clarifying

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Main lesson from 2004 - Don't release pointless DVD's.

midas_touch
Club Player

lol, the famous DVD which has been used 32823984709328492 times as a joke on bigfooty.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The streak did not end because we had injuries...

It ended because we refused to change our gameplan when coaches of good opposition teams started to play differently againts us.

Whe ended u feeding the rebounding defeders of our oppnents...whil they choked our forward line.

At present our backfield structure has our opponents bamboozled....but history suggests that the other coaches will seek to try and come up with ways to beat our structures.

If they do....then Lyon will be tested..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
oh when
Club Player

Don't take the players to the movies instead of training.

Don't start Lenny on the bench - Bulldogs game - second loss for the year.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Don't start Lenny on the bench - Bulldogs game - second loss for the year.
FUnnily enough were lead the Bulldogs at qtr time in that game...it was only in the 2nd qtr (when Lenny was on the ground) that they started carving us up.

Weird game that one..I remember walking into the G thinking "this is our best 22 today...first time for the year ..even after winning 10 straight"..and look what happened :shock:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
marksnsparks
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

At present our backfield structure has our opponents bamboozled....but history suggests that the other coaches will seek to try and come up with ways to beat our structures.

If they do....then Lyon will be tested..
Agreed, but if RL is as good a coach as we think he is, he should be thinking about how he would undo his own gameplan and have plans B, C, D and E ready to implement. I think he's already trying to make figuring out our gameplan difficult by playing players in different roles each week...e.g. BJ up front against Weagles, Milne on the wing, or in the centre etc