We're currently 15th......... !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We're currently 15th......... !!

IN THE EYES OF THE FTA TV NETWORKS WE ARE 15th

If you take a look at the ladder and you add up the points for AND the points against (read goals for & goals against) the ONLY team below us is Nth Melbourne.

From the Networks viewpoint GOALS= ADVERTISMENTS = $$$$$$$$$$$

We're sitting on top of the ladder and playing bloody good footy. What do we do? !!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: We're currently 15th......... !!

Eastern wrote:IN THE EYES OF THE FTA TV NETWORKS WE ARE 15th

If you take a look at the ladder and you add up the points for AND the points against (read goals for & goals against) the ONLY team below us is Nth Melbourne.

We're sitting on top of the ladder and playing bloody good footy. What do we do? !!
keep playing good footy. The afl & FTA will be very upset that the saints are mainly seen on foxtel!

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Think of the positives.

All that means is that there are fewer times where you have to listen to Robert Walls or David Schwarz commentate on our matches.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:From the Networks viewpoint GOALS= ADVERTISMENTS = $$$$$$$$$$$

Aim for 16th.

St Kilda are 3rd in points for. It's the opposition's fault they can't trouble the goal umpires because the Saints are choking the life out of them.

More, I say. I want less than 65 points conceded against the Doggies.

sainter2631
Club Player

Its all cos of that bloody Fremantle game from last year- Round 13. Rated worst game of the year and was in a Friday night timeslot. The AFL and networks had no reason to suspect we were going to play exciting football this year as we didn't show we could last year.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

In fact it's funny that you raise the issue now.

Leigh Matthews published an opinion on it last night:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
IN PROFESSIONAL golf they talk about driving for show and putting for dough – the idea being that while the longest hitters might thrill the galleries, it is making the putts that wins tournaments.

Footy's version might be that while attacking flair is great to watch, it is defensive effectiveness that consistently wins games and, ultimately, premierships.
This quality is the hallmark of every premiership team. It is one of the few common denominators that apply year after year and the Saints are the current benchmark to this point of 2009.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dunno about the golf analogy.

often the best big hitters in golf are also the guys who can nail the important pressure putts. tiger is one example, but history is full of them going back further than arnold palmer.

in any case, who says putting is a defensive skill? it's more like kicking goals, really, as it is the scoring end of the game. palmer was one of the best and you'd never call him defensive.

imo, it is all-round excellence that will win a premiership. not just defensive, not just attacking.

what you want is no weaknesses and plenty of strengths, which you should play to.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Nobody says putting is a defensive skill... not Lethal, not me... uhh, what exactly is a defensive skill in golf?

Did you skip breakfast this morning... ? :o

Batnoe

If we keep playing like we do, we should get more memberships because people want to be involved, and if we arent on tv they will turn up to the games... then when we win like we do, we will get more tv coverage for next year...

Win/Win

we have to start by getting more members and that is to win, second to that is not have enough free to air tv so if people want to see us they have to buy a membership

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Who bloody well cares???

Success is measured in premierships, and in any event, when we are reigning premiers, they will have no choice but to show us.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
spert
Saintsational Legend

It's always true that to win a flag, you need a top defence. We have the top defence and we are also kicking good scores ..so far so good, and a matter of time before the rest of the world wakes up to how good we are this season.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:

keep playing good footy. The afl & FTA will be very upset that the saints are mainly seen on foxtel!

i've got fox so i don't give a s*** about free to air.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ctqs
Club Player

Ultimately it's the free to air stations that are the real losers. They're businesses and are all about making money. But by not having the best product on offer, they won't get the ratings. Stuff them. I don't have Fox but I go anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
SaintDebi
Club Player

Batnoe wrote: we have to start by getting more members and that is to win, second to that is not have enough free to air tv so if people want to see us they have to buy a membership
I have my membership, go to all Vic home and away games, but I'd still like more FTA coverage. I like to see what I might have missed, Scrutinise the umps' decisions, and just relive the excitement! I can't afford memberships AND foxtell. I wonder how many others in the same boat might have chosen pay TV over a membership?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:

Who bloody well cares???
I'm guessing........The bean counters at the club probably care !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Nobody says putting is a defensive skill... not Lethal, not me... uhh, what exactly is a defensive skill in golf?

Did you skip breakfast this morning... ? :o
lethal likened putting to defence and big hitting to attack. just pointing out where it is a flawed analogy.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:dunno about the golf analogy.

often the best big hitters in golf are also the guys who can nail the important pressure putts. tiger is one example, but history is full of them going back further than arnold palmer.

in any case, who says putting is a defensive skill? it's more like kicking goals, really, as it is the scoring end of the game. palmer was one of the best and you'd never call him defensive.

imo, it is all-round excellence that will win a premiership. not just defensive, not just attacking.

what you want is no weaknesses and plenty of strengths, which you should play to.
the analogy is perfect

not sure what golf you watch but tigers putting is what allows him to win, not his driving. In fact his driving is average at best. No point hitting the ball 400 metres and then 3 putting it.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:dunno about the golf analogy.

the analogy is perfect

not sure what golf you watch but tigers putting is what allows him to win, not his driving. In fact his driving is average at best. No point hitting the ball 400 metres and then 3 putting it.

i think you might have misunderstood me.

tiger's long game is a lot better than average and his putting is superb.

you don't win 14 major championships without being able to do both.

he's where he is because of all-round excellence, like i said.

it is what st kilda should be striving for as a club.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:lethal likened putting to defence and big hitting to attack. just pointing out where it is a flawed analogy.
No he didn't. He likened fairway drives to kicking goals in that it's the part of the game that gets the gallery the most excited.

Putting wins golf games
Defence wins AFL games
Putting is defence
= a false analogy.

Leigh states the first two but not the third - those are your words.

Leigh's analogy is:
Drives in golf excite crowds; putting wins games
Goals in AFL excite crowds; defensive effectiveness wins games
While one part of the game excites crowds, it is another that wins games.

You can differ from his point of view that defence wins AFL games and that's fine. But there's nothing wrong with his analogy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:You can differ from his point of view that defence wins AFL games and that's fine.
i do.

goals and defence wins football matches.

putting and the long game win golf matches.

all-round excellence is what it is about.

putting i would liken to kicking goals, not defending. if you can't nail them you've no chance whatsoever.

getting from tee to green in regulation safely and without taking too many risks is more like defending. if you fall down there you'll put enormous pressure on your short game and can't win either.

to me his golfing analogy works better if you turn it around. hence, i don't think it is a great analogy.

btw, i wasn't having a shot at you for putting it up. i found it interesting, but don't necessarily agree with him.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:goals and defence wins football matches.

in golf putting and the long game win matches.

all-round excellence is what it is about.

but putting i would liken to putting goals on the board, not defending. if you can't nail them you've no chance whatsoever. getting from tee to green in regulation safely and without taking too many risks is more like defending.

to me that is a better analogy.
It's not a "better" analogy. It's just a different one. Is the analogy accurate? Is the argument true? Two different things.

Matthews doesn't even elaborate why having a strong defence is "the hallmark of every premiership team" so in that regard it's a bit of a puff piece. And my reference to the article was not to support that argument, but to respond to the OP.

We're not playing freewheeling (read: defensively unaccountable) high goal-count games. What we're doing is winning games, and winning them emphatically, week after week. Between playing freewheeling, high goal-count footy, and winning games and setting up a chance to contest a premiership, I'll take the latter anyday.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Between playing freewheeling, high goal-count footy, and winning games and setting up a chance to contest a premiership, I'll take the latter anyday.
absolutely, we are coming close to the all-round excellence i mentioned.

i'm always wary, though, that the goals will start to dry up and we'll revert to the overly defensive emphasis of the last two seasons.

ctqs
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:lethal likened putting to defence and big hitting to attack. just pointing out where it is a flawed analogy.
No he didn't. He likened fairway drives to kicking goals in that it's the part of the game that gets the gallery the most excited.

Putting wins golf games
Defence wins AFL games
Putting is defence
= a false analogy.

Leigh states the first two but not the third - those are your words.

Leigh's analogy is:
Drives in golf excite crowds; putting wins games
Goals in AFL excite crowds; defensive effectiveness wins games
While one part of the game excites crowds, it is another that wins games.

You can differ from his point of view that defence wins AFL games and that's fine. But there's nothing wrong with his analogy.
Well explained!

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.