Jarryn Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Jarryn Geary

Thought this kid played his best game for the club tonight.

I was dubious about picking him in Round 1, but as each week has gone by he has found more confidence and has found more of the footy.

Had 23 disposals tonight and kicked a great goal. Creates pressure and most importantly, he knows how to run into space and run forward.

He has good footskills and is a pretty good mark for his size.

Developing very nicely and more than deserving his spot.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Went alright .Seems to be finding his feet at this level.

widereceiver
Club Player

I agree, he's coming along nicely and will mature into a ripper player. I heard today that he beat Joel Selwood in a B & F in junior footy. That can't be a bad thing.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Yes agree, played a great game and did some really good things. Loved the bump, good to see that side of his game.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Yes agree, played a great game and did some really good things. Loved the bump, good to see that side of his game.
Correct - I saw a couple of bumps which were fantastic!

Starting to see his game and I like it! Skills are good and throws his body around. Love his marking, and knows how to kick a goal!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

his intensity is his strongest feature

whether it's attacking the contest, tackling the opponent or the 40m goal on the run, there's an aura about Geary that just says "I'm going to do what it takes to make this happen".

looking very good atm

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah he has been a favourite of mine since his days on the rookie list, I really believe that he has the tools and attitude to make it at the top level...

He is a ball magnet when he's got a bit of a confidence, he can use the ball well and is ferocious at the ball and the man. He can kick a goal and he's got good enough smarts/ awareness without being a superstar.

What is fantastic about him is that he can find opportunities when there are non, last week against he took a beautiful one hander in the forward line and kicked a goal, the week before he was one on four as the crows were trying to take it out of defence, it should have been a basic attack from defence but Geary's constant pressure caused them to make a silly turnover and he managed to capitalise from it.

Will be a 150+ gamer for the saints IMO and he is probably our youngest player getting a game atm so he still has plenty of room to improve.

While he may never be a Sam Fisher or a Brendon Goddard he will always play a role and he is a coach's dream and you could always do a lot worse in your bottom 6 or 8 players...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:his intensity is his strongest feature

whether it's attacking the contest, tackling the opponent or the 40m goal on the run, there's an aura about Geary that just says "I'm going to do what it takes to make this happen".

looking very good atm
I concur wholeheartedly. Works extremely well in the side balance.
You've got your hard nuts like Jones and McQualter, and Geary is a quality finisher.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Also don't take his B&F win over Joel Selwood IIRC he played significant more games than Selwood due to Selwood representing Vic... I could be wrong though, I just seem to remember that being spoken about at the time of his drafting...

Same goes for Jack Steven winning the Geelong B&F aswell...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
goodie
Club Player

Have to admit, I'm a fan of the tough little bastard

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Also don't take his B&F win over Joel Selwood IIRC he played significant more games than Selwood due to Selwood representing Vic... I could be wrong though, I just seem to remember that being spoken about at the time of his drafting...

Same goes for Jack Steven winning the Geelong B&F aswell...
Yeh, best and fairests at under 18 level rarely indicate the best player in that team.....Time and time again winners get overlooked in the national draft.

As stated above sometimes it's because of representation commitments, and other times its because the clubs really reward the defensive areas of the game such as the tackling, shepherding and hard ball gets.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

seems to be finding his feet with the intensity at this level.

Ofcourse when we strike the real good sides that intensity goes up another notch again....

Still great to see him really contest which tells you hes not lazy and is a workhorse - the goal from 50 was a beauty.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Good game - will make it without question......atm doing a good job to hold his spot from X and Eddy

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Geary is developing nicely, but I have also been very impressed with McQualter, Jones and Gwilt.

In fact Gwilt has to be one of the best kicks in the side, if he can get more of the ball that left foot would be incredibly damaging.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Geary is developing nicely, but I have also been very impressed with McQualter, Jones and Gwilt.

In fact Gwilt has to be one of the best kicks in the side, if he can get more of the ball that left foot would be incredibly damaging.
would still like to see more aggression from Gwilt at the ball/man with the ball...hes got the body to do this and yep hes a beautiful kick.

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

It'll be interesting to see if he gets the Rising Star nomination this week. So far I'd think his only competition would be Andy Otten.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:It'll be interesting to see if he gets the Rising Star nomination this week. So far I'd think his only competition would be Andy Otten.
Completely forgot he was eligible, would be a very worthy nomination, I would also keep an eye out for Eric MacKenzie from West Coast, he is a very likely type.

mick13
Club Player

Hartlett had a ripper debut. 23 touches and 11 marks I think?

I think Gears will slip by unnoticed.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:Hartlett had a ripper debut. 23 touches and 11 marks I think?

I think Gears will slip by unnoticed.
Depending if they look at stats or watch the game, Geary clearly had the better game.

Hartlett also had 11 uncontested marks remember, Geary did extremely well in teh contested situation... and that goal was just plain awesome

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I would like the poster that suggested that Geary should be delisted after his first year as a rookie to come and post that he was wrong...

I posted straight after his post that he will be a good player and the next year he was promoted...

I would love to see this poster post something on the "I was wrong" thread

Pity I cant remember the poster....

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="widereceiver"]I agree, he's coming along nicely and will mature into a ripper player. I heard today that he beat Joel Selwood in a B & F in junior footy. That can't be a bad thing.[/quote]

That was in their last year before being drafted.
But wasn't Joel Selwood out injured for most of that season - the reason he slipped to pick 7 - but Geelong had not forgotten how good he had been in previous seasons.

A year earlier Selwood was being thought of as a No1 pick but when Carlton had pick 1 they took a Squibb instead.
I was hoping Joel Selwood would slip to pick 9.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Mark
Club Player

Top Gear! :D

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

With a wife and 3 young kids and a job that demands frequent travel I haven't been able to get along to as many games as I would like in the past few seasons. I got along to my first game for this year and Geary impressed me. I hadn't been sold on him until last night, but his hunger for the contest was impressive. A hard nut in the Ball/Hayes sense of the word, and not without a reasonable level of ability. Don't know his stats for the game, but seened to get enough of it and seems to fit the Lyon game plan very well.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Legendary
Club Player

Has to be a chance for the Rising Star nom this week?

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Legendary wrote:Has to be a chance for the Rising Star nom this week?
Is he eligible ?

If he is I doubt he will get the nom anyway cause the selectors would rather select someone like Taylor Walker or Jack Ziebell because of the hype.