Ross Lyon's brilliance getting recognition from the HUN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Ross Lyon's brilliance getting recognition from the HUN

WHEN it came to kicking for goal, Brendan Fevola was like any other gifted kid in junior football. Thinking about it was for dummies. All he had to do was sniff the goals in the distance and blast the ball into the next suburb. It was an approach that worked brilliantly and helped propel him into AFL ranks.

He was a magnificent kick for goal. From 50m he'd kick seven out of eight, his under-18s coach Robert Dean once told me.

When he arrived at Carlton, though, the stress of having to prove himself for the first time in his football career changed everything.

Pressure can make you think too much and it began to eat away at his confidence. Suddenly there were more points than goals.

Current St Kilda coach Ross Lyon, who was an assistant at the Blues from 2000-2003, came to his rescue.

Read the rest here:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

the shadow
Club Player

Now if only he could work on Roo, Kosi.........

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
Saints43
Club Player

When Fev was 17 he could kick goals from 50m at 87%. Then he lost confidence due to pressure. So he changed his grip and now kicks at 63% - including inside 50m. What a great story.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

There was some discussion about goal kicking practice last night on Footy Confidential.

GT effectively said that no clubs spend a lot of time of goal kicking for two reasons:

(a) it "interrupts" the mechanics of the leg (ie there is a concern that too much (goal) kicking will cause problems with the knee/leg/ankle); and

(b) clubs need to spend time on other driils (clearances, kick-ins, zoning, tactics, etc) and simply do not have the time to spend on goal kicking drills.

Hmmmmmm...........

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
suss
Club Player

Now if only he could work on Roo, Kosi.........
Didn't Roo change to a Fev inspired grip at the behest of the previous coach? That woud be slightly ironic... :wink:

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Saints43 wrote:When Fev was 17 he could kick goals from 50m at 87%. Then he lost confidence due to pressure. So he changed his grip and now kicks at 63% - including inside 50m. What a great story.
Helloo!!
It actually is, you know - I think Plugger only averaged about 68-70% and he ranks as about the best ever. So in the history of VFL/AFL goal kicking it IS a good story!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:It actually is, you know - I think Plugger only averaged about 68-70% and he ranks as about the best ever. So in the history of VFL/AFL goal kicking it IS a good story!
plugger was about 74 per cent.

and he was the best ever.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

lol
and there aint too many over 65% I bet :)
(who kicked more than a few hundred or so)

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Saints43
Club Player

mbogo wrote:
Saints43 wrote:When Fev was 17 he could kick goals from 50m at 87%. Then he lost confidence due to pressure. So he changed his grip and now kicks at 63% - including inside 50m. What a great story.
Helloo!!
It actually is, you know - I think Plugger only averaged about 68-70% and he ranks as about the best ever. So in the history of VFL/AFL goal kicking it IS a good story!
Hello.

His problem that developed with his kicking wasn't the technique. It was perceived pressure.

Goodbye.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:lol
i haven't got the stats, but i can't remember a better shot for goal than plugger.

going back a bit i heard hudson was pretty good and mckenna.

it's a huge and often underrated part of a forward's game and was one of the things that made plugger so formidable.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
mbogo wrote:lol
i haven't got the stats, but i can't remember a better shot for goal than plugger. going back a bit i heard hudson was pretty good and mckenna.
it's a huge and often underrated part of a forward's game and was one of the things that made plugger so formidable.
And I think "perceived pressure" and being able to overcome it to gain a few % is a major achievement - no matter what you have to do to get there. Wouldn't we love Roo to get to 65-70%? I wonder what his % is now - I will look it up!
It is 60.8% - hope he gets to 70%!
Last edited by mbogo on Tue 31 Mar 2009 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Jason Heatley was very accurate, perhaps he knows a thing or two that he could pass on to some of our players! :idea:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

barks4eva wrote:Jason Heatley was very accurate, perhaps he knows a thing or two that he could pass on to some of our players! :idea:
Heatley was 67.9% - very nice!
Don't you love stats - if Roo was on 65.3% he would have kicked 50 more goals for us from the same kicks! 370 not 320
Last edited by mbogo on Tue 31 Mar 2009 6:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Jason Heatley was very accurate, perhaps he knows a thing or two that he could pass on to some of our players! :idea:
any stats on mckenna and hudson, or don't they go back that far?

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
mbogo wrote:
any stats on mckenna and hudson, or don't they go back that far?
The sites I see only state goals for that era ....

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Heatley was one of the best kicks for goal I have ever seen.
One days when no one could find the goals because of windy conditions he would adjust and slot them. If he played at the dome his average would never have been bettered. Although plugger had to struggle with the wind and mud at moorabbin.

Seeya