anyone notice?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter#4
Club Player

anyone notice?

that time and time again saturday night when we had a mark or a free kick nick dal santo ran around for the handball and became much like a quarter back for us directing play with his kicking and vision.

to me it seemed as tho it was part of our game plan which has been tailored around nick's skills and ability to help us keep the play moving and improve our possession use.

i am pretty sure this is why he played such a good game as he was always involved and his disposals were in more damaging situations then his usually cheapies off half back

p.s not having a go or taking anything away from nick just thought it was a good move by ross and the coaching staff if its as it seemed in my head.

discuss

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Excellent observation.

Allowed Dal to get into the clear and dispose of the ball cleanly.

By memory Dal kicked inside 50 to Kossies screamer!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I would expect to see much more use of him, Lenny, Gram and BJ like this - depending on match-ups.

I would normally expect BJ not to have a 'hard tag' like he did on Goodes and therefore be used in a silmilar fashion to Dal.

Who can forget the goal he kicked in the third qtr when Gardi dished the footy to him?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I would expect to see much more use of him, Lenny, Gram and BJ like this - depending on match-ups.

I would normally expect BJ not to have a 'hard tag' like he did on Goodes and therefore be used in a silmilar fashion to Dal.

Who can forget the goal he kicked in the third qtr when Gardi dished the footy to him?

More on that: How many of our goals were from the midfield?

Dal Santo two, Goddard, Gram and Gardiner 2.....Not a bad effort....Could even through McQualter in there.

sainter#4
Club Player

if anything another kudos for Ross and his staff as they have come up with a way for us to be more dangerous and effective on attack aswell as the brilliant zone that they have come up which totally stifled the swans after 1/4.

also during the game gram, goddard and joey were all RESTED as forwards which i think is another great idea as that improves our forward options whilst not taking away anything from the team and causes opposition defenses to use a good defender to cover them and leaves shcneider or milney someone who more likely or not they can take advantage of.

S.A Saint
Club Player

yea all good points mentioned above.....

im just dieing for a game this season when we have a full selection of midfielder to chose from and the likes of ball, hayes, dal, goddard, gram, monty all firing in one game.....

when you think about it their teams can only tag 1 or 2 of them at most... so if a tag goes to dal and goddard which it most likely be, we will still have bally hayes and monty who are more than handy getting the ball and moving it forward.....

mouth watering stuff when you think about it

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:if anything another kudos for Ross and his staff as they have come up with a way for us to be more dangerous and effective on attack aswell as the brilliant zone that they have come up which totally stifled the swans after 1/4.

also during the game gram, goddard and joey were all RESTED as forwards which i think is another great idea as that improves our forward options whilst not taking away anything from the team and causes opposition defenses to use a good defender to cover them and leaves shcneider or milney someone who more likely or not they can take advantage of.
just because a midfielder moves into the forward line doesnt mean opposition defenders swap and the better go to the mids

and to be honest i don't believe many opposition backlines would worry if someone like lenny or gram trundled down for a rest...bj yes

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I thought Dal played a great game. Threw himself into the hard stuff, something he hasn't always done.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
matrix
Saintsational Legend

that he did Bev...he threw himself in packs and on top of the footy many times....played a great all round game i thought 8-)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:... Threw himself into the hard stuff, something he hasn't always done.
Almost to his demise, however. His medial ligament will be strained and sore at the moment and he will be lucky if this is all it is. There is a big difference between being hard at the ball and being reckless with your body. Natural "in and under" players seem to get the mix right most of the time. Those to whom it doesn't come naturally, will often choose the wrong moment to be "hard". I prefer to see Nick running around kicking with precision rather than sitting in the stands wearing a courage badge.

Red
Club Player

perfectionist you mean like Luke Ball who almost kills himself on a weekly

basis.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:I prefer to see Nick running around kicking with precision rather than sitting in the stands wearing a courage badge.
yes, discretion is the better part of valour.

i'm not worried about dal in this regard, though. he tends to know when to go and the knock to his knee was bad luck as much as anything.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Finally playing around our strengths...

Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard, Nick Dal Santo and Nick Riewoldt are our four smartest players IMO... we must run as much of the play through them as we possibly can, if those 4 get good numbers St Kilda will get some good numbers...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
4ever_saint
Club Player

Completely agree.

Must also mention that it was a great sight to see Dal Santo on the bottom of the packs on Saturday Night and hopefully his form can continue through the year.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

fav moment was a dal moment

ball went into the swans forward line in the final term and it was 4-2 and dal needed to push into the hole and put his body on the line. He did that, produced a very good bump and tackle, blake came from behind and helped him get it over the line. Would have lifted the whole team seeing a senior player put his body on the line in such a way

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I would expect to see much more use of him, Lenny, Gram and BJ like this - depending on match-ups.

Oh yes..in my Top 3 match highlights..

Gardy marks 50 out. Goes back..then notices "oh look, Sydney have very kindly left one of the best kicks in the AFL standing on his own"..nice lil handball, most people had the goal marked in the Record about then ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor