Nice story about Sydney's loss in The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Nice story about Sydney's loss in The Age

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfmatc ... 13971.html

I hope the paper version mentions some of our players.

By the way:
The only lowlight from St Kilda came when captain Nick Riewoldt limped from the ground in the final term although, after treatment, he was up and walking the boundary before the match ended.

did you notice Raph Clarke sitting on the bench for the 2nd half with ice on his hammy.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Isn' the Age a sponsor? Poor write up.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

BBH may not like the slideshow that goes with the story

http://www.theage.com.au//interactive/2 ... index.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Isn' the Age a sponsor? Poor write up.
a sponsor? what difference does that make? does the deal involve not just money but soft reporting as well?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Is Richard Hinds a Sydney based AFL reporter for Fairfax?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Is Richard Hinds a Sydney based AFL reporter for Fairfax?
yep. this is basically the smh story rather than a melbourne-based one.

the hot tip is that this is the year where the age's journalism (not just on footy) finally exits through the back door. expect to see plenty of aap match reports in fairfax papers, coz they no longer want to pay for their own journalists.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Is Richard Hinds a Sydney based AFL reporter for Fairfax?
I've just found this on google..
Richard Hinds is the Melbourne-based sports writer for the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/expe ... ard-hinds/

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

What could you really report about the game?

One of the worst 'spectacles' I've seen, played by two ordinary sides in front of a tiny crowd of what appeared to be quite disinterested supporters.

Only 145 points scores, mindless tactics preventing good footballers from playing good footy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:What could you really report about the game?

One of the worst 'spectacles' I've seen, played by two ordinary sides in front of a tiny crowd of what appeared to be quite disinterested supporters.

Only 145 points scores, mindless tactics preventing good footballers from playing good footy.
Compared to last year is was a game of the ages. The crowd was pretty good and you are very sad. That is what I got out of the game.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Compared to last year is was a game of the ages. The crowd was pretty good and you are very sad. That is what I got out of the game.
You were pleased with what you saw?

My god, if that's what we're going to dish up again this year, we're rooted.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Maybe you shouldn't go to any more games?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why is that. We playing poorly in the first and absolutely dominated the second and third quarter and early in the last.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why is that. We playing poorly in the first and absolutely dominated the second and third quarter and early in the last.
I think you summed it up.

We dominated for 3 quarters yet only registered 80 points, and only won by 15.

What happens when we don't dominate against a decent team for 3 quarters?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think that within a few weeks Nick Reiwoldt may gain a level of match fitness where he starts to dominate again. He, together with Baker, Schneider, and Gram were all lacking match fitness and will all be the better for the run. And with Lenny, Max, X-Man, and Matt Maguire to come back I am looking forward to a good year.

I was impressed with Zac Dawson too. He was much better than his practise match form indicated.

HarveysDeciple

Negatives: Poor conversion rate from Inside 50's....spent almost the whole second quarter in attack and kicked just 3. Been a problem for a while, so need to rectify.
Slow out of the blocks also.

Raph injury, Geary dissapointed me a touch, faded late.

Positives: Won without Max or Lenny and without any impact from Riewoldt after giving a 4 and a half goal start.
Dal Santo was excellent.

The new recruits Ray and Dawson were exceptional.

We are 1-0. with some winnable games to come.

All in all, I slept well, onwards and upwards.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I'd give more than a passing mention to the team that kicked eleven unanswered goals

Sainterman
Club Player

How negative are you? Gee, we had a win, have the 4 points, things looked OK after qtr time and we played some good footy at times. Sydney are a lock down side, all teams find it hard to put up big scores against them.

Posts like yours just suggest you are over footy in general. Go watch the amo's if you want to see the type of footy you watched in the old days. Things have changed.

A good performance from the boys last night and some really good signs. Its a long year and we are 1-0! Did you want a better start?

derby Street
Club Player

145 points scored is about the only correct thing you stated - Fox I can't wait to see your ramblings when we lose our first game - you will be beside yourself with joy - FOR A CHANGE :D

saintly_safes
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Ive got no idea "sorry" :oops:

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

kosifantutti23 wrote:

I'd give more than a passing mention to the team that kicked eleven unanswered goals
rodger you are a dead set waste of space!! FFS!

Im really believing all the people on here who swear you are only happy when we lose. The crowd sounded far from dis interested to me on TV! You are a fool.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Rodg, you are entitled to your opinion, but hells bells, whoever sits next to you at games deserves some sort of bravery award. :roll:

Wasnt you screaming "Oh youve undone all the hard work Saints" when they kicked those junk time goals after we were out on our feet with 2 on the bench was it???

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Solar
Saintsational Legend

hey rodger, go support carlton if you want free wheeling football which will not get you finals. Last night was really good, incrediable tackling, players going at the ball 100 miles an hour, 2 awesome marks and some very good goals. The turnovers usually came about because of pressure.

much rather that then the piss poor circle work I saw in the freo bulldogs match in their first quarter.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

WWOS front page appears to have forgotten the Saints ans Swans played last night

as at 8 pm
one small line directs you to the stats

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/afl/

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Rodger is entitled to his opinion. I dont agree with him but he is entitled.

The crowd was not tiny.

The Saints did play poorly in the first qtr but played hard at it football to kick 11 unanswered goals and completely shut down Sydney.

The game is always tight and low scoring against Sydney. I was actually pleasantly suprised by the intensity of the game and the fact that the umpires did their job and were pretty unobtrosive.

The game was better than I expected.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
maverick
Saintsational Legend

The game was 20% better than last year's without 3 of our 5 most important players (yes I include Roo).

Many of our lesser lights contributed strongly when the game was up for grabs, and we finally saw why we have been waiting so long for Michael Gardiner to get fit.

All in all, a danger game behind us and some real positive signs.

I don't care how we play, as long as we keep some sort of forward structure and play hard at the body footy.

It was good to have Bakes back as well.