has anyone seen Stanley or Smith play yet

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

has anyone seen Stanley or Smith play yet

can someone tell me how stanley and smith are going i herd about our other new guys

trevor barker
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I guess not

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Saw a little bit of Stanley in one of the U/18 Championship games last season, and then reviewed his highlights package on Youtube after we drafted him. Seems a likely type - makes a good contest, is fairly athletic and excels in the 1%ers. Also uses the ball fairly well for a big man. Still quite raw, and will take at least 2-3 years to develop, but definitely seems a likely type. Wouldn't be too surprised to see him and McGrath holding up our ruck division come 2012.

The Saints are coming!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

From what I've seen his is a verrrrrrrrry long way off.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

True Blue Sainter wrote:Wouldn't be too surprised to see [Stanley] and McGrath holding up our ruck division come 2012.
McEvoy is far more likely than either of those two. Both McGrath and Stanley are projects. Stanley didn't really stand out at the champs at all. It was his athletic ability that really drew attention. He's a relative newcomer to football, so there's a lot of upside. It will be interesting to track his progress over the next couple of years.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:Wouldn't be too surprised to see [Stanley] and McGrath holding up our ruck division come 2012.
McEvoy is far more likely than either of those two. Both McGrath and Stanley are projects. Stanley didn't really stand out at the champs at all. It was his athletic ability that really drew attention. He's a relative newcomer to football, so there's a lot of upside. It will be interesting to track his progress over the next couple of years.
McEvoy seems to me to be more of a natural forward, nice hands and a fair kick on him. To me, a lot of ruckmen across the league are now more athletic than yester year, and they almost become additional midfielders (Cox the obvious standout, racked up 22 touches a game despite a bung ankle last year, as well as 25+ hitouts).

I like what I've seen of Stanley because I know he only took up the game a couple of years ago. When you compare him to say Jared Brennan (athlete ahead of a footballer), Stanley is light years ahead at the comparative stage of their careers in terms of footy smarts. Brennan, whilst showing glimpses of his undoubted talent, struggled in the mental and tactical side to the game in his early years.

I know it's optimistic to expect both McGrath and Stanley to kick on, but I'm fairly certain at least one of them will, and hopeful on both. Fingers crossed for the two big Macs and Rhys!

The Saints are coming!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

True Blue Sainter wrote:McEvoy seems to me to be more of a natural forward, nice hands and a fair kick on him.
I don't think McEvoy could play as a permanent forward. He's not mobile enough to compete or apply pressure once the ball hits the deck. I think teams would exploit his lack of mobility by rebounding off him. It's a lot harder to exploit those things in the ruck. Right now he's at the Josh Fraser stage - good around the ground, can't ruck. If he's going to make it with this coach, he's going to have to be at least passable at the bounces and throw-ins.

Yeah nah pleasing positive