Sir Walter part of the upstairs Saints match commitee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Sir Walter part of the upstairs Saints match commitee

My Dad Walter passed away ten days ago from mesophilioma[asbestos from his navy days] and was one of the most passionate St.Kilda supporters of all time...

Went missing for a week in 66 when we won the flag and was still going for the occasional nervous walk when listening to close games well into his 80,s a habit which he has passed onto his son Patrick :oops:

One of his final treasures was a poster signed by Harves which said..
"To Sir Walter from Robert Harvey" which will be framed and kept as a family airloom.

Wanted one more flag for Dad but with him on the match commitee upstairs we have never been in better hands :wink:

Was carried out of the Sorrento church this monday to Louie Armstrongs version of the Saints go marching in which he would have loved 8-)

For those of you lucky enough to still have your parents...cherish them everyday.
Last edited by saint patrick on Fri 12 Dec 2008 10:21pm, edited 3 times in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

sorry to hear about your loss saint patrick.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

All the best Pat !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thoughts and prayers are with you and yours st patrick

I; like several on SS, have been through similiar this year...
Won't say it gets easier as each finds their own level of peace..
but it's the odd moments I find-

what were once annoyances are the things you miss most.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

All the best mate, losing a loved one is always hard but it's great that he clearly had people who loved him around him during his life which should make your proud.

Fingers crossed he starts calling up some favours up there :lol: :lol:

R.I.P Sir Walter, St Kilda's new 23rd man :wink: :wink:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sorry for your loss St Pat...

My old man was a pasionate saints supporter as well.....

He expired at 59 y.o....

It was a heart attack......maybe the saints lack of success broke his heart

I'm hoping it doesn't break mine.....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

That was a nice piece on your dad. Condolences and best wishes

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

All the best to you St. Pat.
My Mum died November 27th. Just over two weeks ago.
Gone to join my dad in the cheer squad in the big grandstand. I've still got the beanie she knitted me in 1970.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I lost my Dad over 10 years ago....but when I hear of someone else's passig i can't help but feel their sadness.

All the best. I'm sure he's in good hands.

James

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

My condolences saint patrick.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
loris
Saintsational Legend

Commiserations St Pat. It's so sad to say the final goodbye to a parent. It closes the door on so many of those treasured childhood/ teenage and adult memories where they were such a constant in our lives.

I can empathise with your feelings at this present time. As saintbrat mentioned in post in this thread some of us on this site have been through the same expenerience as you this year.

Our dear saint supporting Mum died earlier this year at 91 years plus. She would arrange the family expedition to the Junction Oval in the 1950's. It would take 1 bus ride and two tram trips to get there. She had to organise 4 children (decked out in saints footy jumpers or scarves and colours) and 1 husband, plus food to feed the tribe. When we played away from the Junction Oval it was more of a logistical manouvre for her. Wow the trip to Geelong was planned for months in advance. Dad was promoted to chaufeur as his work truck was required. We kids could invite a friend to come along. What fun it was, all of us kids and our friends sitting on the back tray (those that can remember back to the 1950's early 60's - there weren't any sides on the back of trays trucks - utes hadn't been invented!) of a 'Willies Overland'. The Geelong Highway was only a one lane road in them days, so poor Mum spent most of the hour long plus trip looking out the back window to check that none of us had fallen off. To think these days it is outlawed for people to travel in the back of such vehicles and animals have to be secured!! So Mum did a pretty good job making sure the number she took out returned home. Plus she had to factor in Dad's beers he drank at the footy, so I'm sure she had to navigate a fair amount of the time. No .05 in them days!

Then whenever we got home from a game on a Saturday evening it was time for Dad to chew the fat with neighbours about footy results, time for my brothers to run wild in the bacykard or living room kicking paper footys around, time for my sister and I to lounge around and swoon about seeing Neville Linney, Peter Bennet and Keith Drinan (our heros in them there days)............................ did our dear Mum have such a luxury to sit back and reflect on her day out seeing the Saints................. Nup she had to get into the kitchen and cook the evenig meal for her tribe. Usually on a Sat Night it was 'Footy Stew'. Poor Mum even had to keep her ear alert for the paper boy coming around so we got our evening copy of the sports edition of "The Herard" and the pink "Sporting Globe". In hindsight I bet she never ever got the time to read them until about wednesday.

Yes St Pat I agree with your sentiments to those that still have their parents......."cherish them".

It hurts when you have to finally say goodbye........still it's comforting to look back and say to them THANKS. One word is really not enough is it?

Thoughts with you St Pat.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Beautiful words Loris, it makes me so greatful that my parents are still around, really puts all those petty squabbles and power struggles into perspective...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
markinUSA
SS Life Member

St. Pat

I know what it's like to lose a dad. My Dad, who also fought for Australia in his younger days, died last year.

Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you.

I hope that you have many memories that you can cherish... whether people are wth us or not, it's their place in our hearts and minds that never goes away.

I am glad you two could share a passion for footy - it's the kind of thing family members bond over... it's one of those things that you share and can always reflect on. Comments about a loss, or the joy of a win... these are special moments, even if we don't realize it so much at the time.

May your God be with you and your family at this time.

Cheers
Mark

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Sorry for you loss Pat. All the best to you and your family in this tough time.

Sunil_saint
Club Player

Really sad to hear of your loss Pat. My dad was lost to us this year as well and I can truly understand your pain when my only son died in '92. Of course what drives us on are the beautiful memories that we hold and I am sure you have many. I see grief every day in my proffession (nursing) and you know this somehow gives me a lot of strength tp sift through my own emotions. Somehow that hard empty feeling gradually fades and the memories become more enjoyable. I hope you find comfort in the bosom of your family .....all the best to you.... Sunil :(

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the kind words guys ... much appreciated :wink:

Family is important in these time's and the saintsational family is as close as any....

My returned sympathy for those beautifully expressed shared experiences.. :(

Love to all...and Go you mighty Sainters !!!!!

cheers 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Deepest condolences to you and your family Pat

We shall drink a toast to him at Livewire in 09!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

All the best to you St Patty, and to you also Byron.

Prayers and thoughts with both your families.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sir Walter part of the upstairs Saints match commitee

saint patrick wrote:My Dad Walter passed away ten days ago from mesophilioma[asbestos from his navy days] and was one of the most passionate St.Kilda supporters of all time...

Went missing for a week in 66 when we won the flag and was still going for the occasional nervous walk when listening to close games well into his 80,s a habit which he has passed onto his son Patrick :oops:

One of his final treasures was a poster signed by Harves which said..
"To Sir Walter from Robert Harvey" which will be framed and kept as a family airloom.

Wanted one more flag for Dad but with him on the match commitee upstairs we have never been in better hands :wink:

Was carried out of the Sorrento church this monday to Louie Armstrongs version of the Saints go marching in which he would have loved 8-)

For those of you lucky enough to still have your parents...cherish them everyday.

my thoughts are with you mate......i lost my mum earlier this year....she was a fanatical saints supporter......miss her a lot.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

All the best Pat.

“Yeah….nah””
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Condolensces saint patrick, st. byron, and previously saintbrat, loris and stinger. It's been a harsh year for the SS "family".

I lost my father 32 years ago when I was 11. Not a day goes by without him in my thoughts.

Let's all get through the Christmas break safely.

IC.
Last edited by Iceman234 on Sun 14 Dec 2008 6:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

from this thread it would appear that many regular ss posters suffered sad news this year and I'm guessing many more who haven't said..

on the flip side I remember that several welcomed or are going to welcome new little sainters to lift the spirits.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

was watching the races today on sky racing.
there was a horse paying a bit of money with the name 'Sir Walter' and came first :D is this a good sign for the saints next year?

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Hahaha, that's great, he just got to the place and he's already calling the shots... Keep up the good work Sir Walter... I think the real sign from today is to get money on the saints!!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Condolonces to you SP and your family.

RIP Sir Walter...have a word to the almighty while you're up there about getting us some premierships on the board.

We could sure use some divine intervention 8-)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.