lions have withdrawn?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

lions have withdrawn?

was reported on SEN that an article in the sun tomorrow will talk about how cousins future stands on the next stkilda board meeting as the lions have pulled out this arvo....

did I miss this news?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Saint Mik
Club Player

When was this said on SEN was it just now?

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:When was this said on SEN was it just now?
when finey did the newspapers 10:45?

I have a bad head cold so might have miss heard but it took me by suprise....

oh and scott west will be development coach for melbourne

FQF
In richo I trust

Saint Mik
Club Player

Blow your nose and clean out them $%*& ears then :wink:

Hope you are on the money though about Brissy, not to sure about Westy I suppose he would have plenty to offer after so many years in the game.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:Blow your nose and clean out them $%*& ears then :wink:

Hope you are on the money though about Brissy, not to sure about Westy I suppose he would have plenty to offer after so many years in the game.
anti biotics and lots of other drugs are slowly making a dent....

just reporting what they said before finey's show was finished

FQF
In richo I trust

Saint Mik
Club Player

Solar wrote:

Not another *&^&%^ drugs thread, just dont go shaving your head Dimwits in the taxi with a plastic cup and a pair of sissors.

For all I know you may of been listening to triple J

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:
Solar wrote:

Not another *&^&%^ drugs thread, just dont go shaving your head Dimwits in the taxi with a plastic cup and a pair of sissors.

For all I know you may of been listening to triple J
nah I'm an old bugger... it's SEN or abc radio for me....

I must say dimwit and the AFL remind me of 1984 sometimes.....

FQF
In richo I trust

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

and so they should, its a loose loose situation

cousins going to the lions is both poor for ben's problems and also the problems the lions cubs have

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
mick13
Club Player

Confirmed.
Ben Cousin's hopes with Saints

Jon Ralph and Andrew Hamilton | November 21, 2008 12:00am

Quote:
ST KILDA'S new board is in total control of Ben Cousins' AFL future, with the Brisbane Lions yesterday pulling out of the race to secure the former West Coast Eagle.

Cousins' judgment day as a professional footballer will be Monday or Tuesday next week, when St Kilda's board makes its final decision.
At that meeting the board will receive reports on weeks of investigation from the Saints' football department.

But coach Ross Lyon will not make a recommendation -- he will let the board decide Cousins' future in the AFL.

Saints chief executive Archie Fraser will return from overseas at the weekend and the exact time of the crucial meeting is yet to be determined.

But with the deadline for Cousins to nominate for the national draft next Wednesday, the Saints know they must decide before then.
St Kilda is the only AFL club still interested in Cousins.

The Lions were St Kilda's major rival, but a potential sponsor backlash and grave misgivings at board level have reduced it to a one-horse race.
It is understood some influential insiders were strongly opposed to signing Cousins and any move to offer him a contract would have been defeated at board level.

Lions chief executive Michael Bowers last night refused to comment.
Devine Group chief executive David Devine, whose company commits $300,000 a year to the Lions, last night said he did not support recruiting Cousins.

"The risk would be that he would fall back into his old ways, which would be a bad reflection on all of us," Devine said. "So I as a sponsor would prefer to see them go after a younger recruit rather than someone who has some baggage attached to him.

"There is risk attached, so why take the risk?"

Now St Kilda must decide if it is prepared to take the same risk 15 other clubs believe is too great.

While some at St Kilda are still sceptical about recruiting Cousins, the board has enough expertise to tick off the football department's recommendation.

Directors Andrew Thompson, Nathan Burke and Michael Nettlefold are all former St Kilda midfielders.

Former Saints captain Aaron Hamill yesterday advised the club to recruit Cousins.

He said St Kilda had developed the type of leadership strength to harness Cousins. Hamill said that strength was absent when he arrived at the club from Carlton in 2001.

Hamill said yesterday Cousins was the "perfect fit" for St Kilda and had no doubts the playing group would help him stay on the straight and narrow.
"If you asked the question 10 years ago about whether he would be a good fit, or even when I first arrived, I would say the answer would be no because he would get away with murder and do what he wants to do," Hamill said.

"But now it would be a really good fit. They have a sensational culture down there and a winning appetite and they are on the cusp of something pretty special.

"Cousins would be perfect in the midfield and with his work ethic he would be sensational.

"The culture of the place now compared to the culture 10 years ago, it's a completely different set-up.

"They have a great leadership group with (captain Nick) Riewoldt and (Lenny) Hayes, and (Nick) Dal Santo, and (Luke) Ball and (Justin) Koschitzke, and (Brendon) Goddard. I think they would make him accountable to your peers."

The AFL Players' Association continues to seek information on the reasons for the league's stringent testing of Cousins.

"We've got to get a better understanding of the medical information," AFLPA chief executive Brendon Gale said yesterday.

"We are in no hurry. We need to sift through this. The important thing is Ben has confirmed he is going to nominate, albeit under onerous conditions."

Gale said the AFLPA had been in contact with the AFL.

"They've said to us you've got to understand the basis of the decision," he said.

"We've got to get a better understanding of that."

St Igmata
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:and so they should, its a loose loose situation

cousins going to the lions is both poor for ben's problems and also the problems the lions cubs have
The fact that he couldnt provide a hair that is 3 cms doesnt worry anyone?

The gravity of something going wrong will have a massive impact in these times of economic uncertainty.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

mick13 wrote:Confirmed.
if you think its confirmed based on an article in the herald sun, you are dillusional..they said ben wouldn't play on wednesday and backflipped the day after.. they jhave no clue.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

St Igmata wrote:

The gravity of something going wrong will have a massive impact in these times of economic uncertainty.
i am more worried about people like you, Ben will be fine.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
mick13
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:
if you think its confirmed based on an article in the herald sun, you are dillusional..they said ben wouldn't play on wednesday and backflipped the day after.. they jhave no clue.
You're delusional if you think someones delusional based on what they think of an article. :roll:

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

fonz_#15 wrote:
St Igmata wrote:

i am more worried about people like you, Ben will be fine.
Let's not be too quick to dismiss the link between the economy and the length of Ben Cousins hair...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Ben Cousin's hopes with Saints

Jon Ralph and Andrew Hamilton | November 21, 2008 12:00am

Quote:
ST KILDA'S new board is in total control of Ben Cousins' AFL future, with the Brisbane Lions yesterday pulling out of the race to secure the former West Coast Eagle.

Cousins' judgment day as a professional footballer will be Monday or Tuesday next week, when St Kilda's board makes its final decision.
At that meeting the board will receive reports on weeks of investigation from the Saints' football department.

But coach Ross Lyon will not make a recommendation -- he will let the board decide Cousins' future in the AFL.

Saints chief executive Archie Fraser will return from overseas at the weekend and the exact time of the crucial meeting is yet to be determined.

But with the deadline for Cousins to nominate for the national draft next Wednesday, the Saints know they must decide before then.
St Kilda is the only AFL club still interested in Cousins.

The Lions were St Kilda's major rival, but a potential sponsor backlash and grave misgivings at board level have reduced it to a one-horse race.
It is understood some influential insiders were strongly opposed to signing Cousins and any move to offer him a contract would have been defeated at board level.

Lions chief executive Michael Bowers last night refused to comment.
Devine Group chief executive David Devine, whose company commits $300,000 a year to the Lions, last night said he did not support recruiting Cousins.
"The risk would be that he would fall back into his old ways, which would be a bad reflection on all of us," Devine said. "So I as a sponsor would prefer to see them go after a younger recruit rather than someone who has some baggage attached to him.

"There is risk attached, so why take the risk?"

Now St Kilda must decide if it is prepared to take the same risk 15 other clubs believe is too great.

While some at St Kilda are still sceptical about recruiting Cousins, the board has enough expertise to tick off the football department's recommendation.

Directors Andrew Thompson, Nathan Burke and Michael Nettlefold are all former St Kilda midfielders.

Former Saints captain Aaron Hamill yesterday advised the club to recruit Cousins.

He said St Kilda had developed the type of leadership strength to harness Cousins. Hamill said that strength was absent when he arrived at the club from Carlton in 2001.

Hamill said yesterday Cousins was the "perfect fit" for St Kilda and had no doubts the playing group would help him stay on the straight and narrow.
"If you asked the question 10 years ago about whether he would be a good fit, or even when I first arrived, I would say the answer would be no because he would get away with murder and do what he wants to do," Hamill said.

"But now it would be a really good fit. They have a sensational culture down there and a winning appetite and they are on the cusp of something pretty special.

"Cousins would be perfect in the midfield and with his work ethic he would be sensational.

"The culture of the place now compared to the culture 10 years ago, it's a completely different set-up.

"They have a great leadership group with (captain Nick) Riewoldt and (Lenny) Hayes, and (Nick) Dal Santo, and (Luke) Ball and (Justin) Koschitzke, and (Brendon) Goddard. I think they would make him accountable to your peers."

The AFL Players' Association continues to seek information on the reasons for the league's stringent testing of Cousins.

"We've got to get a better understanding of the medical information," AFLPA chief executive Brendon Gale said yesterday.

"We are in no hurry. We need to sift through this. The important thing is Ben has confirmed he is going to nominate, albeit under onerous conditions."

Gale said the AFLPA had been in contact with the AFL.

"They've said to us you've got to understand the basis of the decision," he said.

"We've got to get a better understanding of that."
funny i would of though it would of cost more then $300k to be the deciding factor in the running of an AFL club ... i thinks a certain sponser thinks they have more pull then they actually do !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

There could be other sponsers saying the same thing but haven't came out to say it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

still need to hear it from Brisbane.

“Yeah….nah””
On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Just on Chanel 7 News over here in Perth.

Michael Voss has been meeting with Ben Cousins this weekend. Voss says that the "door is not shut on Ben Cousins yet".

They showed footage of Voss arriving at Perth airport and a lot of file footage of Ben Cousins.

Who knows whether there is truth that they met or whether he is here for another reason.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

so still not confirmed then ?

hhmm....so many ducks and drakes.......cmon Voss....you got your early attention now fess up.

“Yeah….nah””
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Hmm yes, still wouldnt be suprised if the Brions call out his name on draft day. Theres so much smoke and mirrors in terms of drafting / trading etc.

Noone at Brisbane has publicly said 'no' to BC, all we've got is ONE sponsor saying they'd rather the Lions didnt pick him up.

Not much in it, IMO.

jays
Club Player

they were never going for him in first place just media crap

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:they were never going for him in first place just media crap
and u know this how?

“Yeah….nah””