Michael Voss on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

Michael Voss on SEN

From Big Footy:

- we will talk to him
- hasn't yet talked to him but left several messages
- time's ticking away and not a lot of time to make a decision
- told the players what was going on to stop speculation but nothing to report
- there is a fit within our development model for a mature player such as Cousins or Davis
- at this point in time we are 'no comment' in relation to taking both Cousins and Davis as hasn't spoken about it at match committee level
- next move if AFL pass Cousins to play is to speak to Cousins
Very interesting (particuarly the first and second points). From what we've heard, the Saints have been talking to Ben and Ricky for weeks and the Lions "will" talk to him. Also, Voss has "left messages" with Ben? Surely if Cuz was that interested he'd have taken the time to call back... I know there's probably more to it, but on face value it doesn't sound as if the Lions have their sh!t together!

Pilgram
Club Player

why would benny in his right mind wish to speak to the most unintelligent and inarticulate man in AFL?

Saintersss
Club Player

Saint Ben Cousins
Bruce Matthews | November 18, 2008 12:00am

THE Brisbane Lions appear to have gone cold on the idea, AFL boss Andrew Demetriou is making all the right noises, and St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt has laid out the welcome mat. This is the equation on the morning of the AFL Commission's decision on whether to clear Ben Cousins to play.

It all adds up to an increasing likelihood the former West Coast champion and recovering drug addict becoming Saint Ben at the December 16 pre-season draft.

If Brisbane passes on Cousins at that draft, it will clear a path for the Saints, who have the pick behind the Lions.

Yesterday, Riewoldt emphatically underlined the Saints' desire to recruit Cousins, suggesting they would rather have him in red, white and black than playing elsewhere.

The Saints skipper said Cousins still had to be cleared to play, but felt the commission would today give him the green light after Demetriou said the star midfielder deserved a second chance.

"Everybody's entitled to an opportunity to get back playing, whether they're ill through a mental illness or through other illnesses," Demetriou said in Sydney. "That's certainly something that will weigh on the minds of the commission."

Herald Sun readers agree that Cousins should be given another chance.

At 9.30 last night, 77 per cent of 6308 voters on an online poll said he should be allowed to play.

Riewoldt said it was ultimately the club's decision and that the leadership group would be consulted, but he could not hide his excitement at the prospect of having Cousins in St Kilda's midfield rotation.

"Absolutely, it would excite anyone if he could get back to the heights. He's a Brownlow medallist and premiership player, so we all hope he can get back to that," Riewoldt said.

"If he could get back to that, then naturally we would want to be playing with him, rather than against him.

"We would definitely be consulted, but that's what you have a board for, and coaches and a club executive.

"The club has gone through a very thorough process and done due diligence to investigating the situation."

Riewoldt said he believed all AFL players supported the Cousins comeback.

"Clearly, I think all AFL players, regardless of whether he could be potentially going to their clubs, would wish him well and hope that his health is at a stage where the AFL does clear him," he said.

"People in all walks of life would like to see him recapture his form and health, which is the most important."

Cousins was reportedly in Brisbane yesterday, but the Lions denied any contact.

Lions coach Michael Voss last night made a "450 per cent guarantee" that Cousins was not at the Gabba for talks.

When asked if a meeting had taken place between the player and club yesterday, Lions chief executive Michael Bowers said he had no idea where Cousins was.

"Until the AFL decides whether he is allowed to play again, we won't be making any comment on the matter," Bowers said.

It's understood some Lions directors have moral reservations about throwing Cousins an AFL lifeline.
So looks like Ben hasn't talked with the Lions...

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

Saintersss wrote:Lions coach Michael Voss last night made a "450 per cent guarantee" that Cousins was not at the Gabba for talks.
Well he's clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Beekay
SS Life Member

Pilgram wrote:why would benny in his right mind wish to speak to the most unintelligent and inarticulate man in AFL?
Things in common? Both the best player their teams had in Premiership years ?

Pilgram
Club Player

As a Tony Roach; Michael Voss made a great Footballer.

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

Pilgram wrote:As a Tony Roach; Michael Voss made a great Footballer.
You stole my avatar :D

Pilgram
Club Player

:lol: great minds think alike.

i'm considering a new one BTW.

So yeah, Michael Voss...
.... even if Benny (by some measure of stupidity) did sign with Brisbane, it'd be no good for him because MV doesn't know how to sign his own name.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ben isn't returning his calls, I think we'll find that there is our answer. I would have liked to think that there is more depth to Voss than a bit of a last minute scramble to secure a player to his club, but perhaps not...

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

LIONS STILL KEEN ON COUSINS, SAYS VOSS
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/ ... wsId=69865

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Re: Michael Voss on SEN

RedWhiteBlack wrote:on face value it doesn't sound as if the Lions have their sh!t together!
Exactly the impression I got from listenening to the interview ... Voss didnt have one constructive,promising or hopeful thing to say in regards to his quest to lure Ben to Brisbane ..
IMO Voss is just trying to keep the Brisbane Lions in the news over the off season and hopefully sign on a few new members with his blustering,ill thought out bull$hit ...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Ben isn't returning his calls, I think we'll find that there is our answer. I would have liked to think that there is more depth to Voss than a bit of a last minute scramble to secure a player to his club, but perhaps not...
the thing your forgetting Ben doesnt have to talk to anyone any team with a pick in the PSD has the oppertunity to call his name out even if he says he wants to go to the saints the Dees can trump us all and pick him up with their first pick

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Solar
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Ben isn't returning his calls, I think we'll find that there is our answer. I would have liked to think that there is more depth to Voss than a bit of a last minute scramble to secure a player to his club, but perhaps not...
the thing your forgetting Ben doesnt have to talk to anyone any team with a pick in the PSD has the oppertunity to call his name out even if he says he wants to go to the saints the Dees can trump us all and pick him up with their first pick
except for freo (they could do anything) would you really expect any club to take a risk of drafting an ex drug addict? Even the clubs thinking about it seem to have cold feet!!!

Lets be honest, they AFL will give the green light this arvo, cousins will announce who he has signed 'in principle" and that will be it. I would not be suprised that his name was not called out.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
except for freo (they could do anything) would you really expect any club to take a risk of drafting an ex drug addict? Even the clubs thinking about it seem to have cold feet!!!

Lets be honest, they AFL will give the green light this arvo, cousins will announce who he has signed 'in principle" and that will be it. I would not be suprised that his name was not called out.....
nah froe are still tying to convince Ramma and Mal michael to come out of retirment

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Pilgram wrote:why would benny in his right mind wish to speak to the most unintelligent and inarticulate man in AFL?
Doug Hawkins?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:even if he says he wants to go to the saints the Dees can trump us all and pick him up with their first pick
they could, but the convention seems to be to let them go to the club they've nominated.

it wouldn't do a lot for saints/demons relations.

also, i'd imagine the afl would be pretty keen for ben to go to the club that has done the hard groundwork and has a plan in place to help and mentor him.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:even if he says he wants to go to the saints the Dees can trump us all and pick him up with their first pick
they could, but the convention seems to be to let them go to the club they've nominated.

also, i'd imagine the afl would be pretty keen for ben to go to the club that has done the hard groundwork and has a plan in place to help and mentor him.
i agree with you its not a good idea to draft a bloke who doesnt want to play for you but drawing conclusions that Brissy are out of the race just cause benny hasnt spoke to them yet is not quite right they could stil draft him without ever speaking to him

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

i agree with you its not a good idea to draft a bloke who doesnt want to play for you but drawing conclusions that Brissy are out of the race just cause benny hasnt spoke to them yet is not quite right they could stil draft him without ever speaking to him

if he comes out and says brisbane, then brisbane it will be, so long as they want him.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

what Time is the meeting does any one know?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:what Time is the meeting does any one know?
supposed to finish about now

ace
Saintsational Legend

Ben can send a clear message as to where he wants to go.
As a delisted player he train with any club of his choosing, and not talk to another other club.
He simply tells them to talk to Ricky Nixon.
Nixon tells them piss off.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hard to know which way its going but this part from Voss didnt sound confident...

“At this stage that is where our focus lies and when the opportunity comes where we can sit down in front of Ben we’ll take that opportunity if we get it.â€

“Yeah….nah””
Pilgram
Club Player

ace wrote:Ben can send a clear message as to where he wants to go.
As a delisted player he train with any club of his choosing, and not talk to another other club.
He simply tells them to talk to Ricky Nixon.
Nixon tells them piss off.
and thats the part that i like.