St Kilda list and Football Department changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Media
Club Player

St Kilda list and Football Department changes

The St Kilda Football Club has made a key appointment to ensure its football operations department retains the expertise and flexibility it needs to ensure the Saints remain market leaders.

Read more...

http://saints.com.au/Season2008/News/Ne ... wsId=69117
In addition to the retirements of Robert Harvey and Fraser Gehrig the following players have been delisted; Jayden Attard, Matthew Ferguson, Michael Rix, Shane Birss, Charlie Gardiner, Glenn Chivers and Luke van Rheenan.

yipper
SS Life Member

So, it has happened. Rix is gone, hard luck stories would have to be Birss and Attard. Fergs could have been anything - again a tad unlucky. All the best for the future for all of em'.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

In addition to the retirements of Robert Harvey and Fraser Gehrig the following players have been delisted; Jayden Attard, Matthew Ferguson, Michael Rix, Shane Birss, Charlie Gardiner, Glenn Chivers and Luke van Rheenan.

saint4life
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

In addition to the retirements of Robert Harvey and Fraser Gehrig the following players have been delisted; Jayden Attard, Matthew Ferguson, Michael Rix, Shane Birss, Charlie Gardiner, Glenn Chivers and Luke van Rheenan

Bad luck for attard!

Go saints in '09!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote: Fergs could have been anything - again a tad unlucky.
And so could of 1000 other players. Surprised at Birss, but maybe he'll be redrafted as they need to drop 6 guys off the list/

I feel sorry for all 6 but that's the reality these days

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

With the delisting of both Rix and LVR it would seem a foregone conclusion that Blake McGrath will be rookie listed by us this year.

Interesting that both Ferg and Gardiner were delisted, both players who were options for the third marking forward option.

Also interesting is the non-delisting of L.Fisher and Fiora - maybe tehy have a year left on their contracts and that has saved them?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Tend to agree with L.Fisher and fiora

but as you mentioned not sure if contracted for 2009

saint4life
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

They could be next in the firing line along with McQualter?? (next season)

yipper
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:With the delisting of both Rix and LVR it would seem a foregone conclusion that Blake McGrath will be rookie listed by us this year.

Interesting that both Ferg and Gardiner were delisted, both players who were options for the third marking forward option.

Also interesting is the non-delisting of L.Fisher and Fiora - maybe tehy have a year left on their contracts and that has saved them?
Charlie Gardner is an interesting one - only the one year. Obviously the coach wasn't happy with what he had done, and with Ferg gone to - yes, who do they have in mind for the lead-up role.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Re: St Kilda list and Football Department changes

Saints Media wrote:
The St Kilda Football Club has made a key appointment to ensure its football operations department retains the expertise and flexibility it needs to ensure the Saints remain market leaders.

Read more...

http://saints.com.au/Season2008/News/Ne ... wsId=69117
I thought Birss was a little stiff. I would be getting rid of McQualter before him. Mcqualter will be coming up to his 5th year at the club and has shown nothing. He lacks offense, pace, getting penetration and skills in general.

L Fisher making the list is another lucky one IMO.
Bewildering.
Last edited by RodKeoghsLoveChild on Tue 21 Oct 2008 10:28am, edited 2 times in total.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:With the delisting of both Rix and LVR it would seem a foregone conclusion that Blake McGrath will be rookie listed by us this year.

Charlie Gardner is an interesting one - only the one year. Obviously the coach wasn't happy with what he had done, and with Ferg gone to - yes, who do they have in mind for the lead-up role.
Allen was selected in front of both in prelim

saint4life
Ice Wolf
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
yipper wrote:

Allen was selected in front of both in prelim
And they have been playing Gwilt up there ahead of them too.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I feel for Attard...tough to be cut when you are coming back from an LTI but Dempster has his spot now I guess..when HE comes back from LTI!..might also be a reason why Leigh F was kept, contract notwithstanding. Is a small defender who can play tight and take a turn running with a mid. Depth only though.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I feel for Attard...tough to be cut when you are coming back from an LTI but Dempster has his spot now I guess..when HE comes back from LTI!..might also be a reason why Leigh F was kept, contract notwithstanding. Is a small defender who can play tight and take a turn running with a mid. Depth only though.
Yeh, Attard is stiff.....Played 20 games.....And did his knee....

You would have thought another year to prove himself should have been on the table.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

It seems that all we do every year is line up our delistings for the foolowing year.

Like Geelong - delistings should be a difficult process....

Next Years Likelys - Gwilt, McQualter, Fiora, L Fisher......

Our talent is severely lacking.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

They must have faith with Howard, he has signed a 2 year contract and given us nothing... Would have thought a couple of the boys were better than Howard.. Then again, what would I know???

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
older saint
SS Life Member

Birss maybe a bit stiff although potentially we need armitage. Howard etc to step up
L fisher , insurance policy , strong body etc
Fiora under contract ad one of the few who can run the lines we have

Rest seem pretty straight forward

Looks like Cousins , if available, will be coming, dropping 6 gives us 6 picks in draft

Remember could be more before 31 Oct as i think Scwartz was a later one than the first list release last year?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Can they delist some more? Or is everyone now safe on the list?

I only ask because they may be playing it relatively safe until they see whether they get what they want in the draft. I believe McQualter, L. Fisher and Fiora are all very lucky.

Perhaps the delisting of Ferguson and Charlie is an indication they may look at picking up Jericho as I'm not convinced Gwilt is the answer and I believe Allen is more a key rather than a lead up / harrassing type forward.

I think the Club's delistings are relatively safe in terms of turning the list over whilst still remaining competitive. Proof will be in the types we select at the draft I guess.

Joffa 5
Club Player

7 delistings and two retirements. Add Ray, that's 8 spots free, 6 picks in the draft leaves 2 rookie elevations?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Joffa 5 wrote:7 delistings and two retirements. Add Ray, that's 8 spots free, 6 picks in the draft leaves 2 rookie elevations?
Who would you elevate?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it's that many, 7 senior list and 2 rookie delistings. Ray now on board leaves 6 senior spots. I imagine both Eddy and McQ elevated would leave 4 (spot for Cousins would leave 3) so in reality I don't believe it's a big turnover unless we chop another 2 or 3.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Come on you blokes, read the item!!
Only Birss, Ferguson, C.Gardiner and Rix have been delisted off the senior list. The others are off the rookie list. With Harvs and F.G gone, and Ray on board, we have 5 vacancies on the Senior list.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Come on you blokes, read the item!!
Only Birss, Ferguson, C.Gardiner and Rix have been delisted off the senior list. The others are off the rookie list. With Harvs and F.G gone, and Ray on board, we have 5 vacancies on the Senior list.
And .......... If you add B. Cousins, that's 4 picks. Elevate ONE rookie and we have 3 picks left 13, 47 & 48. And 4 rookie picks. That'll do !!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Rix - agree (What happens here - http://saints.com.au/Saintly%20Entertai ... fault.aspx ?).
Chivers - agree.
Attard - agree (but thanks for your efforts in 2007).
Birss - clearly unlucky. Emerged a dependable back up in a midfield frequently beset by injury. Should have been retained.
Ferguson - fleetingly exciting but has had enough chances.
Charlie Gardiner - Played in a final - but delisted? He showed enough to get one more year after we failed to snatch a third tall. Are we looking at Luke Jericho or Damon White?
Van Rheenan - Sometimes raw meat just doesn't cook.

Of those who stayed:

McQualter - I was disappointed in his delisting last year but it looks like he's just not good enough. Too small, slow, etc.
Fiora - Who gave him a two-year deal? Crazy.
Gwilt - I don't think he'll ever be a frequent contributor.
L Fisher - Hardly played this year. Was he contracted? Should have been cut if not.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Spot on BB, i forgot Attard as back on the rookie list...my bad. This makes the lack of senior delistings even more bewildering.