First Fixture Leaks - Herald Sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

First Fixture Leaks - Herald Sun

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

ST KILDA is heading to Aurora Stadium for the first time since abandoning Tasmania at the end of 2006.
A draft version of the AFL's fixture is believed to include a Round 19 Hawthorn-St Kilda clash in Launceston.

The preliminary final re-match will test the ground's capacity of 20,000.

The match would attract 50,000-60,000, at the MCG, given the clubs' supporter bases.

The Saints played two home games a season for four years in Tasmania, but then put a push for a premiership ahead of cash for selling games.

Despite an imposing record at their home ground, Telstra Dome, in that period, the Saints could manage only a 4-4 record at Launceston.

The draft fixture has the Saints starting the season with a home game against Sydney.
The Saints have just one visit to Perth, but may not have been offered all the Friday night opportunities they wanted.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Early info suggested that the Hawthorn game was Rd 4 or 5. That appears to have changed.

Early info also suggested that we will get 6 x Friday Night games. Will be interesting to see what we end up with.

With specific info like that being leaked, I would think that the AFL will be looking to get it out as quick as possible whilst maintaining maximum exposure. My tip is about this time next week. After the 2nd test and mid week, when not much racing news !!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Early info suggested that the Hawthorn game was Rd 4 or 5. That appears to have changed.

Early info also suggested that we will get 6 x Friday Night games. Will be interesting to see what we end up with.

With specific info like that being leaked, I would think that the AFL will be looking to get it out as quick as possible whilst maintaining maximum exposure. My tip is about this time next week. After the 2nd test and mid week, when not much racing news !!
I thought I read that somewhere.

Personally - I hate Friday night games.....But they are good for the club.

Going to Perth once is a bonus we rarely get. No doubt we will have to travel to WA three times to make it up the following year! Ha Ha :?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

seems a little biazzare to have 4th v preimers down in tassie.... well I guess it's a reward to the tassie fans....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

Might consider doing the Tassie away trip this year if true!

ThePunter
Club Player

Well, Hawthorn aren't going to play Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton down there.

In there time down in Tasmania, they have played home games against Geelong, North Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs & Richmond.

Next year they'll complete the set with games against St Kilda and Melbourne, and that seems reasonable.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i would rather play sydney up there round 1 than up there half way through the year.
if we do play tem again at the dome rd 1 it better not be as boring game as it was this year.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The article also intimated that the Bulldogs will get more Friday night games in 09..so ..maybe they are pinching some of ours?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Playing in Tasmania?

Already a lost game.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: First Fixture Leaks - Herald Sun

SaintBot wrote:
The Saints have just one visit to Perth, but may not have been offered all the Friday night opportunities they wanted.
this will more then likely be against Freo as Freo request every year to have two games against us. im must say im a tad sad to not see the boys twice next year especially now both WA teams are s*** and the home ground advantage isnt as dominant

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
azza12
Club Player

Will the first game of the season against Sydney be on Saturday or Sunday???

HarveysDeciple

azza12 wrote:Will the first game of the season against Sydney be on Saturday or Sunday???
I would guess a Saturday night probably, which is great, we haven't lost a saturday night game at the dome since round 9 2003.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Going to Perth once is a bonus we rarely get. No doubt we will have to travel to WA three times to make it up the following year! Ha Ha :?
Let's not forget that we have a very large following in WA (Roger will tell member numbers) who fork out their hard eaned for one or two games a year.

Personally, I wouldn't begrudge our WA fans a couple of games a year as long as they are close to the middle of the season. Early day games over there can be a killer in the heat and I would like to see as little travel as possible after Rd 16-18 !!

bigmicka
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
SaintBot wrote:
this will more then likely be against Freo as Freo request every year to have two games against us. im must say im a tad sad to not see the boys twice next year especially now both WA teams are s*** and the home ground advantage isnt as dominant
I am hoping it will be against the other Mob. Seeing that we have played Freemantle in Perth the last 13 years straight. Hope some things might change.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Let's not forget that we have a very large following in WA (Roger will tell member numbers) who fork out their hard eaned for one or two games a year.

Personally, I wouldn't begrudge our WA fans a couple of games a year as long as they are close to the middle of the season. Early day games over there can be a killer in the heat and I would like to see as little travel as possible after Rd 16-18 !!
last year we had a smige under 1200 Western Saints members the second biggest non local team supporter base in the country

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bigmicka wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
SaintBot wrote:
I am hoping it will be against the other Mob. Seeing that we have played Freemantle in Perth the last 13 years straight. Hope some things might change.

mic
from memory each club has a "Rivaly" club that every year play eachother twice eg carlton V coll , derby's showdowns ect ect in 95 when freo came into the comp Freo requested that they get to play us twice each year as we were not renowned for being a "hard team to play" hence why we seem to always get games against the dockers

Ice Wolf
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
bigmicka wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

mic
from memory each club has a "Rivaly" club that every year play eachother twice eg carlton V coll , derby's showdowns ect ect in 95 when freo came into the comp Freo requested that they get to play us twice each year as we were not renowned for being a "hard team to play" hence why we seem to always get games against the dockers
I thought they requested to play us twice because they always get the game handed to them on a platter by the AFL.

Cro
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Being a WA man I agree. :p

Might force me to make a trip east for a week to hopefully catch a couple of games.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Spinner wrote:

last year we had a smige under 1200 Western Saints members the second biggest non local team supporter base in the country
who has the first?
im guessing Sydney down in Victoria? they have thousands!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Actually if it is against Freo taht we have our only WA game than it is to our local members' advantage.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it almost impossible to get tickets to the WCE games because theysell out he game to their members/reserved seat holders before we (the visiting team) get a chance?

Saints94
SS Life Member

We verse Sydney in rd 1 at home

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:We verse Sydney in rd 1 at home
Yep thats what the article says.

Saints94
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
homework wrote:We verse Sydney in rd 1 at home
Yep thats what the article says.