So how do we think Ross went at trade week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So how do we think Ross went at trade week?

I personally think he's done well so far, he seems to have a purpose about him.....what does everyone else think?

He assured the core group of their worth to the club, and his direction was to not to put anyone up for trade. I believe his intentions were to inspire a sense of belonging within the playing group, and I hope they in turn appreciate this faith that has been shown in them as a whole. I cannot imagine what it would be like for players like Macintosh next year, they would hardly feel settled within their club?

He wanted to add depth the midfield, and has so far acheived this with our pickup of Farren Ray. He sounds very optimistic with this trade, which stood out to me given the guy is rarely excited beyond finding things "pleasing" in interviews and press conferences. Has anyone else noticed he uses that word alot? Given the relationship that Drain already has with Ray, this fills me with a little more confidence as well.

Looking forward to the PSD, he seems to be continuing his endeavour to add depth to our midfield by all accounts?

At this point I am neither pro or against Lyon, but I think that he has proven to be quite accomplished come trade week.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I think it was good. There wasent much movement this trade week but i think we got a good player lets hope we get a good draft!!!!!!

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lets face it. trade week is a joke. needs serious reform.

needs only last 2 days. pretty crap how uncontracted players have to lob up to the pre-season draft.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think the list managers at all the clubs have lost the plot...

They want 1st round draft picks for all players..even list cloggers...

Pelchen is the biggest rogue out of the all of them....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
JeffDunne

I really wish people would stop repeating the moronic term 'list cloggers'

Raph Clarke was desribed as such only recently and then went on to win the Most Promising Player award at the B&F

Jason Blake too and he finished top 10 in the B&F

As for the question, until we see what Ray can bring and what we gave up in the draft then it's a little premature to answer.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

hear hear JD.

I prefer the term "Board Clogger"

:wink:

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If i want to use the term list clogger ,i will,if you can't deal with it...too bad

:roll:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think Ross wastes time by stuffing around with fringe players and late draft picks. We need star players, not more guys who play half the season in the VFL.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Having read many thousands of posts on here telling me that one of the reasons GT had to go was that he was a control freak who wanted to run everything, including trades, drafting, etc, I feel a bit confused by this thread.

I actually thought that Lyon was at great pains on Friday to tell the world that it was Drain who was in charge of the Ray Farren (or whatever his name is) trade.

Anyway, whoever was responsible for it, I thought it was an excellent trade. Given the scientific approach to recruitment nowadays, I think around 75 per cent of the probable 100 gamers in the draft is gone by about pick 25 or so and then it's something of a lucky dip among the possibles. So, for me, pick 48 is all but as useful as pick 31. And Ray, although a bit limited in what he can do, is better than a GOP.

So we got a GOP+ for next to nothing. Top trade.

And then - perhaps to counterbalance the extra pace Ray brings to the club - we went and re-signed Michael Glacier.....oh well, I shouldn't expect them to get it right every time!!!

(BTW, the point behind my new nickname for MG is that glaciers move extremely slowly, not that they are filled with ice.

JeffDunne

bobmurray wrote:If i want to use the term list clogger ,i will,if you can't deal with it...too bad

:roll:
lol, I can deal with it. It just annoys me how someone in the media uses a term that doesn't make any sense and lemmings repeat it without a second thought.

Continue on . . .

uncle joe
Club Player

Pretty non-event trade week all round .
I don't see Farren Ray bringing us any closer to beating Hawthorn or Geelong .

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:I think Ross wastes time by stuffing around with fringe players and late draft picks. We need star players, not more guys who play half the season in the VFL.
And which stars could we have traded for? And what guarantees are there that drafted players will become stars.

MB, I agree about the lucky dip theory.

But you have to consider that MG is a different player altogether, and wasn't retained to add depth to our midfield... rather as a back up ruckman.

Don't see the logic with this part of your argument.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I think Ross wastes time by stuffing around with fringe players and late draft picks. We need star players, not more guys who play half the season in the VFL.
Cant beleive he didnt get a star player. There was plenty available this draft. Should be easy. I say lets get Judd and Brown at next years trade week.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

uncle joe wrote:Pretty non-event trade week all round .
I don't see Farren Ray bringing us any closer to beating Hawthorn or Geelong .
Baby steps.

Think of it as a straight swap in the 22 with Fiora.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cant beleive he didnt get a star player. There was plenty available this draft. Should be easy. I say lets get Judd and Brown at next years trade week.
Gotta agree - We have done well, while hanging onto all of our first round picks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Having read many thousands of posts on here telling me that one of the reasons GT had to go was that he was a control freak who wanted to run everything, including trades, drafting, etc, I feel a bit confused by this thread.
I actually thought that Lyon was at great pains on Friday to tell the world that it was Drain who was in charge of the Ray Farren (or whatever his name is) trade.

You may have read thousands...but you obviously have not comprehended them.

Yes Drain is the guy that the Club wanted to employ when GT was at te Club...bit GT refused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Drain is doing well now is only confirmation of the diservice that GT did to the Saints by refusing to allow to club to hire him and in turn transfer some of GT's powers and responsibilities to a Football Manager position.

Look at the trades the last few years...and compare them to the trades of the several years prior...

Recently our trades have delivered more value than they cost..

The several years prior as a collective, we lost a lot of value..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well yes we need star players.. and I would likea million dollars too...but just wishing will deliver neither.

But exactly how do you propose to get them????

*Swap Kerr for Dal?? No bad idea.

*Swap our first pick plus a player or additional player for O'Keefe?...well that is likely to deny us a future star player.

So far with RL at the club the majority of our ND have been retained = a source of future star players..

Personally my view is that the aquisition of King, Schneider and Dempster all improved the quality of our team.

and that McEvoy and Steven may well provide future good players...

Saints43
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:You may have read thousands...but you obviously have not comprehended them.

Yes Drain is the guy that the Club wanted to employ when GT was at te Club...bit GT refused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Speaking of comprehension... see thread title.

It asks how people thought Ross did in the draft... not Drain. That was the point...
Last edited by Saints43 on Sun 12 Oct 2008 10:02am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: So how do we think Ross went at trade week?

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I personally think he's done well so far, he seems to have a purpose about him.....what does everyone else think?

I agree..

He has purspose and his aquistions clearly are addressing weaknesses in the team.
Importnatly his trades as a collective have delivered more value than they have cost......and at the same time he has kept the majority of our ND picks incluing our first round pics, combined wit proper use of the rookie system, to supply a source of future home grown talent.

JeffDunne

saintsRrising wrote:You may have read thousands...but you obviously have not comprehended them.
Christ mate, you really need to get over this pathological hatred you have for the man.

You completely missed MB's point and you're lecturing about comprehension? :roll:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
And which stars could we have traded for? And what guarantees are there that drafted players will become stars.

But you have to consider that MG is a different player altogether, and wasn't retained to add depth to our midfield... rather as a back up ruckman.

Well, I suppose what I'm on about is that AFL has become a quicker game. So recruiting extra pace across the park is the go: hence I'm happy to see Ray come to the club.

Now I would be the first to agree that you don't need speedsters in every spot It's even ok to have some slow midfielders if they are skilled enough.

But, even for a ruckman, MG is nowhere near mobile enough to keep playing at AFL level IMO. A ruckman needs to be at least quick enough to keep up with the play while the ball is at one end of the ground. MG isn't. End of story IMO, but the club seems to see this differently

As always, time will tell.

Legendary
Club Player

meher baba wrote:And then - perhaps to counterbalance the extra pace Ray brings to the club - we went and re-signed Michael Glacier.....oh well, I shouldn't expect them to get it right every time!!!

(BTW, the point behind my new nickname for MG is that glaciers move extremely slowly, not that they are filled with ice.
:lol: :lol:

Great line

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

Well, I suppose what I'm on about is that AFL has become a quicker game. So recruiting extra pace across the park is the go: hence I'm happy to see Ray come to the club.

Now I would be the first to agree that you don't need speedsters in every spot It's even ok to have some slow midfielders if they are skilled enough.

But, even for a ruckman, MG is nowhere near mobile enough to keep playing at AFL level IMO. A ruckman needs to be at least quick enough to keep up with the play while the ball is at one end of the ground. MG isn't. End of story IMO, but the club seems to see this differently
It's really interesting MB.
That 1 game at Subiaco seems to have 'categorized' him and yet up until then I think the consensus on here was that when he was 'on the park' he was doing a pretty good job as a ruckman but not giving us heaps around the ground in terms of possession.
Since that game the perception of him on here seems to have diminshed dramatically.

I'm not sure whether that game was his true form/worth or whether it was an aberation? I do recall his tapwork was very good (great compared to what we have had in the last few years).
I do know that he wan't alone in having a shocker that day and yet he seems to be the only casualty of those that played that day by having his 'card marked as hopeless'.

One thing I am sure of is that the Club wouldn't have re-signed him if they thought he was not capable of offering someting to the Club/side.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Pelchen is the biggest rogue out of the all of them....
I'm not sure that rogue would be a strong enough word to describe him, but there are some who believe that his dishonesty adds to his professionalism. My morals don't stoop that low !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Back on topic !!

The trading in of Farrey Ray doesn't overly inspire me but I am prepared to see what hapens with our list in the lead up to and beyond the National, pre-season & rookie drafts before passing judgement !!