Gardiner a BC lure?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Gardiner a BC lure?

I was a bit surprised that MG was given another contract with age and not holding up too well with injury this season.

Is it just a coincidence now with Cousins drawing towards the club or my suspicious mind seeing that MG may have been a part of a condition or lure for BC with their relationship?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gardiner a BC lure?

Winmar7Fan wrote:I was a bit surprised that MG was given another contract with age and not holding up too well with injury this season.

Is it just a coincidence now with Cousins drawing towards the club or my suspicious mind seeing that MG may have been a part of a condition or lure for BC with their relationship?
i don't think we as a football club would keep a player on the senior list obviously above minimum wage just in hope of securing another player at a later date

that is potentially two spots we could use on others without said baggage and surity

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
sackers5
Club Player

I think there are a few factors at play here. Firstly, I don't think anyone could have predicted at the start of the year that Kingy's body (and form) would have held up the way it did. The fact is he played 22 games this year compared to 22 games in the previous 2 years and make no mistake about it, if he had have gone down for a long period of time we would have been in a massive hole. So that is where MG fits in, if Kingy was to go down I dont know about you but I would much rather MG in the ruck than rixxy. Secondly, MG has lost none of his tapwork ability - he struggles around the ground and his disposal is a bit iffy but his tapwork is second to none (better than kingys in my opinion. I have no issue in him being offered another contract

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

sackers5 wrote:I think there are a few factors at play here. Firstly, I don't think anyone could have predicted at the start of the year that Kingy's body (and form) would have held up the way it did. The fact is he played 22 games this year compared to 22 games in the previous 2 years and make no mistake about it, if he had have gone down for a long period of time we would have been in a massive hole. So that is where MG fits in, if Kingy was to go down I dont know about you but I would much rather MG in the ruck than rixxy. Secondly, MG has lost none of his tapwork ability - he struggles around the ground and his disposal is a bit iffy but his tapwork is second to none (better than kingys in my opinion. I have no issue in him being offered another contract
i think when king came to the club many said if one of them plays every week then we are a much better team for the solid ruckwork and the physical nature both players have

and one of them played every week...

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Re: Gardiner a BC lure?

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:I was a bit surprised that MG was given another contract with age and not holding up too well with injury this season.

i don't think we as a football club would keep a player on the senior list obviously above minimum wage just in hope of securing another player at a later date

that is potentially two spots we could use on others without said baggage and surity

Well i was probably leaning more towards not just to lure him blindly but maybe MG was sort of touch and go with the club keeping him.

Behind the scenes who knows what discussions and conditions have been going on with Cousins he's been floating around the club and players for weeks now.

As I said It may just be a coincidence but I though MG looked like he struggled this season with Injury, age whatever and would probably hang up the boots (from him or the club) .

Next minute he's been given another season and press articles of he and Cousins about to be re united together with St Kilda.

It just looks to me as if it had something to do with each other but who knows.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No doubt it helped...but it would not have kept him at the club in itself.

RL said post Ray that the club was still going to take 6 kids in the draft....

So with 6 new kids plus Ray....that is 7 in.

So far only GTrain and Banger have retired....

So that is 5 to be delisted....not counting any Rookie elevations...

So space on our list is very tight.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:No doubt it helped...but it would not have kept him at the club in itself.

Pretty sure that will include rookies as well otherwise he will be delisting about 8 players and that isnt going to happen.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:No doubt it helped...but it would not have kept him at the club in itself.

Pretty sure that will include rookies as well otherwise he will be delisting about 8 players and that isnt going to happen.
agreed, no way known is RL going to introduce 6 kids from the draft into the senior list

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
To the top
SS Life Member

There is absolutely no way Gardiner was retained as a "lure" to Cousins and to suggest same has no credibility whatsoever.

Read Lyon's comments re Gardiner in "The Age" this morning - and he just happens to be the Coach and the guy who gets it in the neck from whoever in case of failure, so his job is on the line.

I happen to support Lyon's assessment of Gardiner and think St Kilda is best served by both King and Gardiner being in the 22.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: I happen to support Lyon's assessment of Gardiner and think St Kilda is best served by both King and Gardiner being in the 22.
I think you will find that we lost more games than we won with both of them in the 22.

Can't really afford to both in IMO

More so with the 4 boundary umpires.

The game will be far too quick to have both IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:There is absolutely no way Gardiner was retained as a "lure" to Cousins and to suggest same has no credibility whatsoever.

Read Lyon's comments re Gardiner in "The Age" this morning - and he just happens to be the Coach and the guy who gets it in the neck from whoever in case of failure, so his job is on the line.

I happen to support Lyon's assessment of Gardiner and think St Kilda is best served by both King and Gardiner being in the 22.
agreed, it gives us optimum opportunity to win each and every hit out and contests to give us first use...instead of king off and a part time ruckman (in comparison) like kosi or blake in the ruck

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

that what worries me. mg and cousins back together again. Thats why wc let mg go. To seperate them.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

SAINT JUMP wrote:that what worries me. mg and cousins back together again. Thats why wc let mg go. To seperate them.
wc let them go because of MG, because of what he did nothing to do with them two,

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
SAINT JUMP wrote:that what worries me. mg and cousins back together again. Thats why wc let mg go. To seperate them.
wc let them go because of MG, because of what he did nothing to do with them two,
you are really showing your age here ralphy...

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

been mates a long time. Not good together

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
yeah well atleast im trying.
i didnt know how to say it.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
yeah well atleast im trying.
i didnt know how to say it.
no no nothing to do with your wording

im talking about the mg/bc underworld illegal activity shoting connections...

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

St Fidelius wrote:
To the top wrote: I happen to support Lyon's assessment of Gardiner and think St Kilda is best served by both King and Gardiner being in the 22.
I think you will find that we lost more games than we won with both of them in the 22.

Can't really afford to both in IMO

More so with the 4 boundary umpires.

The game will be far too quick to have both IMO
I am sooo confused....
I agree that I trust RL
I agree that I dont think Gardiner and King made us any better in the same side.
I agree that MG cant cope with the 4 boundary situation
I think the MG experiment was worth the gamble, but time to throw out the petrie dish. We cant keep carrying injured players on the list, paying them but getting no return. Sorry folks I would prefer Rix or McEvoy, because you cant compete if you are on the other side of the fence.
And werent we all banned the other week from discussing MG and the nightclub incident???
maybe there is something in the cuz connection ... Im just so confused

Seeya
Legendary
Club Player

Rumour floating around today the BC is signed and sealed with the Sainters ... no idea how true ("friend of a friend" sort of thing)

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Legendary wrote:Rumour floating around today the BC is signed and sealed with the Sainters ... no idea how true ("friend of a friend" sort of thing)
Mate anyone can make a rumor like that, but by god i hope its true....the guy is a full on gun, just make it happen

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Rumour floating around today the BC is signed and sealed with the Sainters ... no idea how true ("friend of a friend" sort of thing)
Well he cannot be signed and sealed as we can only get him if other club choose not to take him first.

However the Pies seem to e focussing more on youth....and the Saints appear to be going to a lot of effort to make him feel at home.
roo, Ball and oters have been spotted with him....though that cab just be Cousins checking us out too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

guys do remember that M.Gardiner actually played a few decent games this year and despite one hiccup generally remained injury free

i think he more than met pre season expectations

personally, I would have only given him another 1 year but I guess with King's body holding up (for now at least) they felt like they could take the chance

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I think that WCE would have let MG go because he was the lesser player. Just as we kept Gtrain, but got rid of Capuano and Lawrence.

If one goes down, at least we have a back up. I suspect that had we traded for Seaby or WArnock, MG would be gone.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:guys do remember that M.Gardiner actually played a few decent games this year and despite one hiccup generally remained injury free

i think he more than met pre season expectations

personally, I would have only given him another 1 year but I guess with King's body holding up (for now at least) they felt like they could take the chance
What do you mean. He has only been given one more year and by the way if his body held up so well why did he play only 9 games?

Saintforever

Did Cousins change his way when MG left? NO
So MG and Cuz together wont be a drama.
I think Cuz being 2years out will make him more determide to make amends and show the footy world he is still a match winner!