we ae the new port

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

we ae the new port

does anyone else feel like we are becoming the new port,
and choking?

3rd prelim in 5 years, 4th final series in 5 years.
and STILL havnt made it to the holy grail

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: we ae the new port

saintjake wrote:does anyone else feel like we are becoming the new port,
and choking?

No chocking this time. Played a team that is 5 games better than us. We tried as hard as we could but man for man werent nearly good enough.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
and choking?

No choking this time. Played a team that is 5 games better than us. We tried as hard as we could but man for man werent nearly good enough.
Thats why Ross needs to tweak the list,maybe a bit more than some have previously thought....

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
matrix
Saintsational Legend

be farking real!!
and wash ya friggin mouth out and never mention us in the same sentence as port again unless we are plying them that week.

port got belted in a GF
we didnt

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:be farking real!!
and wash ya friggin mouth out and never mention us in the same sentence as port again unless we are plying them that week.

port got belted in a GF
we didnt
No we didnt make it. We got belted in a preliminary. You may hate Posrt because you live in Adelaide but they have been far more successful than us.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so making it and getting belted is better than not making it?
both as equal i reckon.

we've had more 'success'
but granted, they havent been around as long as us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:so making it and getting belted is better than not making it?
both as equal i reckon.

we've had more 'success'
but granted, they havent been around as long as us.
Success is equal but we have 95 years head start.

midas_touch
Club Player

I think our performance is very similar to North Melbourne's performance last year. Both teams finished 4th on the ladder and got thrashed by the GF participants in both the qualifying and preliminary finals. A lot of our less experienced players would have no doubt received invaluable experience about what it takes to reach the pinnacle and so should come out better from the experience.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:I think our performance is very similar to North Melbourne's performance last year. Both teams finished 4th on the ladder and got thrashed by the GF participants in both the qualifying and preliminary finals. A lot of our less experienced players would have no doubt received invaluable experience about what it takes to reach the pinnacle and so should come out better from the experience.
Interesting that you use North as an example because it didn't help them at all.....Not where the Finals are concerned......

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
midas_touch
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
midas_touch wrote:I think our performance is very similar to North Melbourne's performance last year. Both teams finished 4th on the ladder and got thrashed by the GF participants in both the qualifying and preliminary finals. A lot of our less experienced players would have no doubt received invaluable experience about what it takes to reach the pinnacle and so should come out better from the experience.
Interesting that you use North as an example because it didn't help them at all.....Not where the Finals are concerned......
Agree, I'm just pointing out how similar both our finals campaigns were. We have more talent than North of 07 along with more young players playing in these finals series, so we should take more from this experience than the North boys did.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I kept thinking we are turning into the new Port, and the only upside of that is that they kept plugging away and finally won that one flag.
Can we do the same?
After watching that disappointing effort last night-no

saintly_safes
Club Player

I was hoping they could ride on the emotion of the greatmans final dip at a flag , but as plugger 66 said they just werent up to it.I was shattered after the game to see Harves leave the ground for the last time as saints player but the reality is we did a great job to get that far with the list we have.Before the the game I was still hopeful we could do it, but after we squandered so many chances in the first quarter that might have gave us a bit of belief & put a bit of scoreboard pressure on the Hawks it was not to be . After quater time they really showed why they were second on the ladder & we were fourth.They smashed us in the clearances & their ball use was so much better than ours.We have so many players that have poor kicking skills for afl standard footballers.We will really have to work on our skill level & tackleing during the off season to make the next step.Still a proud saint supporter & i would personally like to thank all the the players for the effort they put in this year. I think to win the pre season cup , finish in the top 4 , & beat Collingwood in a knock out final was a very good result for the team we have.Next year wont be any easier but I think if we continue to work on our skill level & recruit smartly we can be a force again next season ."Go Sainters"

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The new Port?

No!

They won a premiership in 2004.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:The new Port?

No!

They won a premiership in 2004.
yep, and a stupid thread IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

We choked huh?

2004 - lost ot eventual premier by a goal at THEIR home ground. Why would anyone have expected us to win. NO choke.

2005 - Again lost to eventual premier bgut this time at our home ground and ths time after leading at three-quarter time when were expected to win. Choke.

2006 - Lost to a team who hadn';t lost at the MCG all year and played them at THEIR home ground depite earning home ground advantage - No choke.

2008 - Lost to the 2nd best team of the year (so far) at their home ground. Never given a chance. NEver stood a chance. NO CHoke.

We choked once out of those four times... 1/4

Port lost home finals in 2001, 2002, 2003 to virtually end their season (it did end it in 2001) I would call that more of a choke.

Geezer
Club Player

no nothing like port.
they were expected to win their finals games and lost.

we are st.kilda.

unique

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
2006 - Lost to a team who hadn';t lost at the MCG all year and played them at THEIR home ground depite earning home ground advantage - No choke.
With a team held together by band aids and with bloody Fraser G tripping over his own feet and doing an ankle...I hated that game of football. If it could go wrong, it did...

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I think that we compare more to Geelong of the late 80's and early-mid 90's.

We are still entranced by the cult of the individual. We continually place them above club. We've been doing it for as long as I can remember.

From Barker to Lockett to Winmar to Loewe to Harvey and now Riewoldt.

We stopped doing it for a while a few years ago but it's back now.

Geelong took a long time to learn this and now they are reaping the benefits. We need more of our stars to sacrifice their own game to contribute to the team from time to time. And we, as supporters, need to get off the backs of the players that are doing this.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:I think that we compare more to Geelong of the late 80's and early-mid 90's.

We are still entranced by the cult of the individual. We continually place them above club. We've been doing it for as long as I can remember.

From Barker to Lockett to Winmar to Loewe to Harvey and now Riewoldt.

We stopped doing it for a while a few years ago but it's back now.

Geelong took a long time to learn this and now they are reaping the benefits. We need more of our stars to sacrifice their own game to contribute to the team from time to time. And we, as supporters, need to get off the backs of the players that are doing this.
Exactly. The heading on the back page of the Herald/Sun summed up where the Cats are at the moment. In Chapman Out Sentiment. We as a group including the club and supporters need to think that way.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:. In Chapman Out Sentiment.
Never heard of Sentiment - what position does he play?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
At the Saints he plays everywhere. Past future and present.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Can we trade him for Kerr?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Can we trade him for Kerr?
i hope so.

Richter
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: Exactly. The heading on the back page of the Herald/Sun summed up where the Cats are at the moment. In Chapman Out Sentiment. We as a group including the club and supporters need to think that way.
True - other factors in the Cats favour too over the last few years mind.....

- Having a better coach than us who they didn't need to dump 2 years ago

- Having better behind the scenes back-up

- Having more luck with injuries to crucial players

- Having a hat-full of father-son picks

Only one I can think of for us

- 2000-2 top draft picks

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

and choking?

are u crazy? they won one in 2004 u weirdo!

they also made a GF last year.

do u actually watch games??? we arent choking. we are just CRAP. we arent anywhere near the top. we cant KICK for starters. we are 6 good players short of being competitive. if anything we were lucky to finish where we did. collingwood were all kids. we are miles away on talent. nothing to do with choking. i wish we choked like port and won a flag and a RU in the past 5 year. good chokers.