Why was Michael Gardiner not selected?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

azza12
Club Player

Why was Michael Gardiner not selected?

Hawthorn, yes they did out play us and were far more superior at the clearences than us. However, whenever we kicked the ball into our 50 there was simply no targets which allowed them to rebound with ease.

If Gardiner was slected it would have allowed us to rotate King and Gardiner through the ruck allowing Kosi to stay up forward and give us a marking option. Also in recent weeks it has been said Gardiner has been in great form in the VFL.

Hawthorn's weakness was there defence going in with one star tall in Croad and Gilham a developing defender. The Saints should have exploited this weakness by leaving Kosi down there with Riewoldt.

However this could not been done without the selection of Gardiner, who at times would have been able to push forward himself and provide another marking option.

The selection of Fiora was essentially pointless.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

because he hadnt played an afl game for yonks and u wanna bring him in against someone like hawthorn??
when they are at there peak??

sheesh
we coulda had cox in the ruck last nite and the hawkers woulda still won the clearances

Scoop
Club Player

Re: Why was Michael Gardiner not selected?

azza12 wrote:Hawthorn, yes they did out play us and were far more superior at the clearences than us. However, whenever we kicked the ball into our 50 there was simply no targets which allowed them to rebound with ease.

If Gardiner was slected it would have allowed us to rotate King and Gardiner through the ruck allowing Kosi to stay up forward and give us a marking option. Also in recent weeks it has been said Gardiner has been in great form in the VFL.

Hawthorn's weakness was there defence going in with one star tall in Croad and Gilham a developing defender. The Saints should have exploited this weakness by leaving Kosi down there with Riewoldt.

However this could not been done without the selection of Gardiner, who at times would have been able to push forward himself and provide another marking option.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I would have had M Gards and Birss in for Ball and Eddy......still not sure why he continues to get a game??? Certainly tries hard and has a dip, but at this stage of his career, gives us nothing.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
azza12 wrote:Hawthorn, yes they did out play us and were far more superior at the clearences than us. However, whenever we kicked the ball into our 50 there was simply no targets which allowed them to rebound with ease.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I would have had M Gards and Birss in for Ball and Eddy......still not sure why he continues to get a game??? Certainly tries hard and has a dip, but at this stage of his career, gives us nothing.
Ball didnt play and I love the hindsight. Mg isnt anywhere near fir enough for an AFL final. Did you see X last game?

Capricornia
Club Player

azza12 wrote: However this could not been done without the selection of Gardiner, who at times would have been able to push forward himself and provide another marking option.
After reading that comment, I feel like I want to scream :shock:

For the last time, Gardiner is not a forward, even in the makeshift variety. Did you see the 2005 grandfinal? Did you see his efforts against Beau Wilkes in the Eagles game earlier this year?

He can ruck, he can ruck reasonably well, but he cant do anything else. He cant run around the ground to make a contest and he cant sit in a forward line and provide a marking target while he rests.

When are some people going to accept that all he is ever going to be able to do is a bit of ruckwork, nothing else. His time is over, we have Steven King rucking well too and we are not going to see Gardiner play too much more football if King is fit.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Scoop wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Ball didnt play and I love the hindsight. Mg isnt anywhere near fir enough for an AFL final. Did you see X last game?
Both Gardiners and X's last senior games were shockers. Who knows what the future holds for those 2, very injury prone.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Scoop
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Scoop wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Sorry Mr Nitpicker, I was referring to changes to the selected side. :roll:

And this is not hindsight, as this was my preferred option before the game....obviously I didn't discuss this with you at the time....I'll make sure this oversight doesn't occur again.

And yes I did see X in in the second last game, prior to last night, (sorry for the pedantia, but you seem to thrive on this sort of thing). Gardy's role and X's are completely different, and his selection would have been for the reasons espoused by azza. But then agin you don't bother with analysis, just some sarcastic, boring, one-liner point scoring.

As others have said P66, why don't you do us all a favour and crawl back into the hole from whence you came. :?:

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Scoop wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

And this is not hindsight, as this was my preferred option before the game....obviously I didn't discuss this with you at the time....I'll make sure this oversight doesn't occur again.

And yes I did see X in in the second last game, prior to last night, (sorry for the pedantia, but you seem to thrive on this sort of thing). Gardy's role and X's are completely different, and his selection would have been for the reasons espoused by azza. But then agin you don't bother with analysis, just some sarcastic, boring, one-liner point scoring.

As others have said P66, why don't you do us all a favour and crawl back into the hole from whence you came. :?:
So wouldnt have played Ball if he was fit as well as playing MG. Funny.

Scoop
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
There you go again P66.

Maybe I knew Ball wasn't going to play...!!!!?????

Capricornia
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Scoop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Scoop wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

It is funny isnt it? Everyone knows you dont play unfit players in an preliminary final if you can help it. Unfit can mean a variety of things to, injured or just lacking match fitness.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
There you go again P66.

Then why even include him in the changes you would have made? Anyway doesnt matter as no changes were going to help us beat the Hawks. They have won 19 for the year and we have won 14 with one more game. That is the true gap.

Scoop
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Scoop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
There you go again P66.

Then why even include him in the changes you would have made? Anyway doesnt matter as no changes were going to help us beat the Hawks. They have won 19 for the year and we have won 14 with one more game. That is the true gap.
Ever heard of flogging a dead horse P66?

However, being the fair-minded person that I am, your last 3 sentences are probably a true reflection of the situation....not to mention their 15 day break against our 7.