Maxy to Franklin?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Maxy to Franklin?

Must say I think this is a very tasty match up. He loses a little in height, but he's athletic and quick enough to really annoy Buddy out of it I reckon. He's determined. And he's got those go-go gadget arms that just get in the way. Of all key defenders out there, I reckon he's about as well equipped as anyone to tackle BF.

Thoughts?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Id see how Maxy goes on him and if hes going good id keep him on him if not i'd put fisher on him because fisher would be more athletic

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Who played on Buddy when we beat the Hawks in round 16..

Buddy didn't do much that night so whoever was on him then will get the job again.....

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
Jakes
Club Player

Would be very disappointed if this isn't the match-up ... Maxy beat Buddy hands down the last time we played them and I think he should definitely be the man this week ... The only problem to this occuring is if they play Buddy at CHF and Roughhead at FF ... I would then expect Max to play on Roughhead and have Chips playing on Buddy

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Maxy to Franklin?

Thinline wrote:Must say I think this is a very tasty match up. He loses a little in height, but he's athletic and quick enough to really annoy Buddy out of it I reckon. He's determined. And he's got those go-go gadget arms that just get in the way. Of all key defenders out there, I reckon he's about as well equipped as anyone to tackle BF.

Thoughts?
Didn't he stitch up Buddy a few months back...is a perfect matchup in my view...hard nosed,veteran who loves a challenge....bring it on....Can you believe the ad for Saturday night...Buddy V St.Kilda....hope that sort of arrogance set's up a big fall for the Hawthorn Footy club :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Smashed Buddy in rd16... SuperMax will do it again.

Young Georgie
Club Player

Max in full flight that night. Harrassed and niggled and stayed right on his clacker. Got good back up when Buddy went roaming and fortunately Buddy missed a few sitters...gotta start Max on him again.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
midas_touch
Club Player

Max took the points quite comprehensively last time we played them. Will expect this matchup to occur again this Saturday night, and I'm confident that Max won't let us down.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
saintbob
SS Life Member

Max will get the job, and with Raph playing the loose man in defence cutting off supply to both Buddy and Roughy.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

A winning midfield helped after half time with Jason Blake playing a blinder, in the ruck and running forward. Nick got 6 straight!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

also with the G being bigger if Max on him again........buddy will push further up the ground talking Max out of his comfort area............

and run back on to it when needed

Will be so much harder to shut down at the G

but will prob get first crack at him

saint4life
hotdish
Club Player

Franklin - Max
Roughhead - Blake?
Williams - Gilbert?
Campbell Brown - Raph?

Leave S Fisher to play Half Back and run, run, run!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Max will get the job, as he did last time...and not just due to his great defensive and stopping skills.

Buddy is brilliant...but also hasa mental chink.

Did anyone watch Max at the start of the Pies game?

He got inside the head of his young opponent....who went from the most accurate shot in the AFL to crap.

Max will get inside Buddie's head....as well as working on him defensively.

Buddy will still kick goals...he is too talented and gets too much ball sent his way....but Max will minimise the damage.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Max will get the job, and with Raph playing the loose man in defence cutting off supply to both Buddy and Roughy.
agree. as always the trick will be to stop it coming in there except under extreme pressure.

apart from lockett and maybe carey, buddy's the most dominant forward i've seen and given good supply he'll be difficult for anyone to stop.

but the hawks will have their hands full with riewoldt at the other end.

SainterX
Club Player

Franklin is so good simply cause Roughead is there to take some heat off him.

It's no coincidence that Roo kicked 69 goals in a season where Fraser kicked 100+ because he was there to take heat off Roo.

Max will take him to school once again just like Pretty Boy, Fev and every other forward who thinks he is just that good.

It's funny how nobody puts people like Roo, Harvs and Scott West in the same bracket as Voss, Buckley, Hird and now Franklin simply because we are not glamour teams.

Nick owns the record for most marks ever in a season, and yet Lance is the one people say is unstoppable. :roll:
Roo owns everyones Buddy and always will. :D

Then again gotta feel sorry for the lad. It's not every player who has male commentators wanting to have his children :wink:

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:
It's funny how nobody puts people like Roo, Harvs and Scott West in the same bracket as Voss, Buckley, Hird and now Franklin simply because we are not glamour teams.
Always annoyed me too.

The only reason these guys haven't been classified, IMO, is because they haven't been captain of their club when they've won the Brownlow, or the GF, or AA selection (I think, but am happy to be corrected).

Apart from that, within the ranks of the players, Harves and Westy are ranked well within that elite group. The media have a lot to do with it also, just look at the media savvy-ness (?) of Harves and Westy compared to the smoother Voss, Hird and Bucks.

Buddy is but a child, still making mistakes. He is one of the most frightening prospects at FF/CHF for many years but let's just wait and see what happens. If he is still this good at 28-29 then he will be a champion. But I fear his character just may bring him down.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:Franklin is so good simply cause Roughead is there to take some heat off him. It's no coincidence that Roo kicked 69 goals in a season where Fraser kicked 100+ because he was there to take heat off Roo
agree with that and down the track we need to find another key forward.

gehrig is long gone and kosi is being used as second ruck/occasional forward.

allen may or may not be good enough; we don't know yet. gwilt goes okay, but hardly troubles the scorers.

i'd like to see bj given a run at ff next season if we can spare him from the midfield (which is a possibility given the continued improvement in raph clarke).

if it worked out, our ability to consistently kick winning scores would be awesome and greatly enhanced.

i'm not sure if i'd have the balls to try something that radical in this finals campaign, though, if i was ross.

but worth a thought if the game looks like slipping away from us. then he'd have nothing to lose.

vergs
Club Player

Max is the logical option. Our best defender against their best forward. However what is more important is that we limit the supply into their forward line and make sure when they do get it in there that the ball carrier is pressured. Franklin is a freak, and even if Max defends well the chances are that Franklin will still get shots on goal. Roughead and Williams are also strong targets, and it may be hard to shut them all down as long as they aren't too Franklin concious. Their midfield is also capable of kicking goals. We turned our previous match against them around in the second half by dominating the midfield, giving our forwards supply and limiting their forwards of opportunities. The same thing has to happen again. Fingers crossed that they let Dal Santo roam free again without a tagger, he cut them to pieces last time and showed against the Pies how much of a difference he makes to our team when he's flying.