Does anyone else feel this week is muted because of Geelong?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Does anyone else feel this week is muted because of Geelong?

If Geelong didn't exist, this board would be going mad.

It's due to Geelong that we all feel like we're a very small chance for the flag. Whilst making a prelim is awesome, the reality is, if we get past Hawthorn, the Grand Final will be 100 times harder.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Just taking it 1 game at a time.....

Lets beat hawthorn first then worry about Geelong or.....the Bulldogs :wink:

Owen
Club Player

Definately have that feeling .. BUT ..

I am more positive going into this weeks prelim than either '04 or '05 where we had dropped form leading into finals and felt like making up the numbers ..

The club has everything to play for this week - for long tem psychology & belief within the club, for respect from our peers, for the fans, for Harvs .. and everything else that playing in a GF brings ..

Yes I would rather make the GF and get thumped by 100pts than not make it at all - without any hesitation ..
Last edited by Owen on Sun 14 Sep 2008 5:24pm, edited 2 times in total.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I lived through the great expectations of 1997 and that loss still hurts.
So let's not worry or care about Geelong at this stage-that's the Bulldogs problem at this stage.
Let's focus on the Hawks and then when we get through that, then we can go beserk.
None of this is about Geelong. It's all about us Sainters in the words of an old cliche "taking one week at a time"

4ever_saint
Club Player

ozrulestrace wrote:I lived through the great expectations of 1997 and that loss still hurts.
So let's not worry or care about Geelong at this stage-that's the Bulldogs problem at this stage.
Let's focus on the Hawks and then when we get through that, then we can go beserk.
None of this is about Geelong. It's all about us Sainters in the words of an old cliche "taking one week at a time"
hey, i'm still reeling from the prelim losses in 2004 and 2005! we can get there, but, its going to be tough. we are definately underdogs again, and despite losing to us earlier in the year, i'd say the hawks would be considerably confident they will win.

i dont think people are more muted, i think we have just learnt from the last few years that expectation leads to failure with the saints. i think we're all letting it settle in and taking this week as it comes. its true though, everyone is merely playing off to lose to geelong in a gf. but, you gotta be in it to win it ;)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We are playing Hawthorn this week. Geelong should beat the Dogs. Been a lot of shouldabeens that became neverwases however.

Capricornia
Club Player

I think we should all just concentrate on Hawthorn, they will be tough enough as it is!

If we can past them then we must go in with some confidence, we can push them all the way. We did so earlier this season and funny things happen in grandfinals.

However, first, lets get over Hawthorn. There very very good and deserve everyones respect.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Re: Does anyone else feel this week is muted because of Geel

Moorabbin Saints wrote:If Geelong didn't exist, this board would be going mad.

It's due to Geelong that we all feel like we're a very small chance for the flag. Whilst making a prelim is awesome, the reality is, if we get past Hawthorn, the Grand Final will be 100 times harder.
I know exactly where you're coming from and I'm feeling the same thing.

The ultimate goal is the Premiership cup and with Geelong in the way it seems so far away.

I'm going into this weekends game with a little trepidation thinking that, if we win, a Geelong side which is as unbeatable as they get will await us.

And to all those who have said "one week at a time, lets worry about Hawthorn first" - save it. Supporters are allowed to get carried away, it has no bearing on the result. As long as the players' minds are focused on the Hawks that is all that matters.

COME ON DOGS! If they can somehow get up, such a chance this would be to win a flag.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

However, win, lose or draw against the Hawks or in the Grand Final, such a year it has been and the experience our players will have received from it, particularly the kids, will be immense and should hold them in good stead in the years to come.

With our core group reaching what should be their best years, we should see this as more of the beginning of an era as opposed to the end of one.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:We are playing Hawthorn this week. Geelong should beat the Dogs. Been a lot of shouldabeens that became neverwases however.
and some become 'wases'

Posted: Fri 08 Aug 2008 11:51pm Post subject: Re: 21 years ago today ...
The Saintsational Man wrote:This is how it will go;...

Saints (4th) beat Hawthorn (3rd) in the Prelim.

Bulldogs (2nd) beat Geelong (1st) in the Prelim.

Saints (4th) beat Bulldogs (2nd) in the AFL Grand Final!!!
Desertsaint wrote:Absolutely dreaming Saintsational Man - letting emotions get the better of reason!

Cats will wipe the Bulldogs in the prelim and narrowly go down against the Saints in the final!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "