Match Review and changes for Prelim

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Match Review and changes for Prelim

Gram - Good game. Went at a few contests very half-hearted but that's something that isn't going to change with Gram. 6.5/10

King - Won the majority of the hitouts but let Fraser run rampant around the ground, particularly early when the game was in the balance. Is our best option in the ruck, but needs to lift around the ground. 5.5/10

Hayes - Tagged heavily and didn't have a huge impact but he worked hard and won us a few good clearances. 6/10

Hudghton - Didn't have much to do tonight. Hardly noticed him, but he didn't let his opponent near it either. N/A

Montagna - Very good game. His last couple of weeks have been the best of his season. He's playing as he always should. 7.5/10

Riewoldt - Dominated up forward. Marked everything and never wasted the ball. 9/10

Schneider - Did a few good things but missed some opportunities as well. Ok game, but would want to lift next week. 5/10

R.Clarke - Excellent game. Ran the ball with confidence, took possession cleanly and used the ball very well. Becoming a great player. 7.5/10

Goddard - Was a little down on his recent form but still good nonetheless. 6.5/10

Gilbert - Great game. He's spoiling brilliantly at the moment and took some strong defensive marks. My preference for Franklin next week. 7.5/10

Armitage - Didn't do a whole lot but when he got near it he went damn hard. Spot not cemented for next week. 4.5/10

Koschitzke - Very strong in the air but made some bad decisions. Shouldn't be in trouble for his tackle on Wakelin but you never know with the tribunal. 6/10

S.Fisher - Just his usual brilliant self. 8/10

Dal Santo - First decent game in months. Unfortunately it was also the first time he wasn't tagged for months. Hopefully he can continue this kind of form while he's under pressure, but I wouldn't put money on it. 8/10

Blake - Very good game and he was clearly in some pain. Has become an important player. 7/10

McQualter - Ok, not great. Played a reasonable game but hasn't made the spot his own. 5.5/10

Gwilt - Pretty good game. I would love it if he could start having an impact on the scoreboard, but he still made a good contest when he was forward and is very good in traffic. 6/10

Harvey - He's still the only saint who can hit Roo on the lead regularly. 4 goal assists shows that he's still a very important player. 7/10

Allen - Poor bugger must be shattered. That said, I was amazed that he was selected ahead of Birss. N/A

Jones - Was told to follow Davis around all day and in the end Davis didn't really hurt us. But when Jones got the ball we came out of it in a worse situation than before. His ball use was shocking and he was always second to the contest. I doubt he'll lose his spot but I sure as hell hope we don't have any close finals with him playing. 4/10

Eddy - Looked way out of his depth. Continually lost his feet in contests and used the ball poorly. Should not be considered for selection next week. 3/10

Milne - Played a classic crumbing forward game. Made the most of his opportunities, but was mauled by his opponent all day for a total of one free kick. 7/10

Before seeing Casey play, I'd guess (not prefer) our changes for next week would be

OUT: Eddy, Allen
IN: Ball, C.Gardiner

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Please don't bring Gardiner in...

Please...

BelfastSaint
Club Player

I feel if RL was prepared to give Allen a go up forward tonight ... then it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring in young McEvoy in a similar position with the added benefit of some rucking experience ... (especially if things dont go well for Kosi at the tribunal)...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Blake
27 possesions, 18 marks
at CHB
His opponent
6 possesions at CHF, and the key to their game

and 7/10

I don't think so

Give Dal some credit....I am sure you bag him when he is beaten.....so praise him when he DOMINATES.....

howlinwolf
Club Player

I think the mark on Eddy was harsh.
He tackled damn hard and put in.

Great idea about Mcevoy coming in for Kosi if he's rubbed out.
Id hate to see Roo tripled teamed as he was against Geelong again.

Birss will come in now surely. We'll need another tag if Kosi goes.
I really don't think he should but he's not wearing a Swans jumper.

boneless23
Club Player

Out: Eddy Allen
In: Ball G Train

Why not?? He will at least give the short Hawthorn backs something to think about and create a contest for Milne and Schneids to crumb off.

If he can kick 2-3, its a massive bonus.....and is training well by all reports

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:Please don't bring Gardiner in...

Please...
I totally agree, but that's what I think will happen. I'd much prefer Ferguson or go for an extra mid with Birss, but Lyon seems to have no faith in them.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

boneless23 wrote:Out: Eddy Allen
In: Ball G Train

Why not??
Officially retired.

gooner
Club Player

BelfastSaint wrote:I feel if RL was prepared to give Allen a go up forward tonight ... then it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring in young McEvoy in a similar position with the added benefit of some rucking experience ... (especially if things dont go well for Kosi at the tribunal)...
So you would bring McEvoy in for his second league game in a preliminary final?

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure about Eddy..

Doesn't seem all that skillful,maybe his attributes will be obvious when he has had a bit of time to acclimatise to the pressures of AFL footy..

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
widereceiver
Club Player

I don't know how Schneider got a pass mark. Give Eddy a freakin' break, please.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
BelfastSaint
Club Player

gooner wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:I feel if RL was prepared to give Allen a go up forward tonight ... then it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring in young McEvoy in a similar position with the added benefit of some rucking experience ... (especially if things dont go well for Kosi at the tribunal)...
So you would bring McEvoy in for his second league game in a preliminary final?
How many games had Allen played ...

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:I don't know how Schneider got a pass mark. Give Eddy a freakin' break, please.
Schneider kicked one goal, directly set up one and had a hand in a couple of others (tackling/sheparding). He made a contribution.

Eddy tries his guts out but he's a young kid who looks like a long season has taken its toll. His skills are getting scrappier, he can't stand up in a contest and a lot of attempted tackles are slipping. He's shown some good signs this year, but he's been a liability in the finals.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:How many games had Allen played ...
McEvoy played the one game and struggled. He's got a good set of skills but he's a long way from physically being able to play AFL footy.

Allen has had the extra pre season, plays a less demanding position and had played 3 AFL games. Despite all that, he broke down early in the game.

No way will we risk playing McEvoy in a prelim.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Re: Match Review and changes for Prelim

mad saint guy wrote: Gilbert - Great game. He's spoiling brilliantly at the moment and took some strong defensive marks. My preference for Franklin next week. 7.5/10
Surely your joking? Max is the only defender who has out and out beaten him all year.

Jaz
Club Player

I think we have the backline to match up on there forwards, midfield is 50/50 but the forward line is were we can exploit them.

Croad is a great player but he is under an injury cloud, then gilham? and not really much other height in their backline. Is it an option to bring Michael Gardiner in to play FF and take a large opponent away from roo? I think thats what they we hoping tonight from Allen, unfortunately that didn't work out. McEvoy also, but is he strong enough yet to compete in finals footy?

But then again the game (like most) will probably be won in the middle so having another mid for the rotations might help us get the ball into the forward line more often.

In the end if ball is fit he comes in, otherwise MG has to be an option

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

Oh please Luke Ball be fit...... would IMO tip the scales in the midfield battle in favour to us....

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Some of you people must have been watching a different game. Eddy did well, much better game than Schneider. Have you all forgotten how he stupidly played on and cost us a 50m penalty which resulted in Collingwood getting one of their rare goals! And later he had Kosi in the goal square, igmored him, ran on and kicked a point! I have been very disappointed in Schneider all season.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Some of you people must have been watching a different game. Eddy did well, much better game than Schneider. Have you all forgotten how he stupidly played on and cost us a 50m penalty which resulted in Collingwood getting one of their rare goals! And later he had Kosi in the goal square, igmored him, ran on and kicked a point! I have been very disappointed in Schneider all season.
Schneider played on because he, and half of the crowd at the G thought it was our free kick. And surely you don't expect a player to pass it off when you have a shot 20m out from goal? He fluffed the kick and it was a very bad mistake, but there was no reason for him to pass it.

Eddy just couldn't have any impact no matter how hard he tried. When he got the ball nothing happened, and he was beaten in numerous one-on-one contests.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:I think the mark on Eddy was harsh.
He tackled damn hard and put in.
Geez...give the guy a break!!! Clearly you were watching a different game. I thought his detractors from last week would have been cowering in the corner after tonight's effort, but obviously some people are willing to ignore a good performance in favour of personal bias. Eddy's a VFL guy, he's had to work to get where he is, and I hope he gets a lot more opportunities in 2009 too...hats off for a good job!

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

mad saint guy wrote:IN: Ball, C.Gardiner
Pretty good post up until that bit. Charlie isn't nearly good enough and is no chance to be selected.

Also CJ did his job well. A 7/10 easy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

King - Won the majority of the hitouts but let Fraser run rampant around the ground, particularly early when the game was in the balance. Is our best option in the ruck, but needs to lift around the ground. 5.5/10
Is this S KIng we are talking about...the guy that set us up beautifully???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Is this S KIng we are talking about...the guy that set us up beautifully???
Maybe 4.5 off for that attrocious handpass in the forward line during the third!?! Thought he did a great job personally.

jckstnr

2 you under rated

I think the big surprises for me, were Gwilt and Raph. Both have had problems making decisions in pressure situations. Today they both read the game well. Raph was spot on every time; and Gwilt and a few delivery issues, but overall good. They both deserved a higher scores.
Go Saints

And the wait goes on.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

FFS ease up on CJ. LOL, hilarious.

CJ made Neon Leon have zero impact on this game.

Prior to the game, we were sitting near the Pies where they were warming up.

Davis and Thomas couldn't miss and were looking pretty cocky.

Come on. Admit it msg, CJ is now a first 22 starter.

Go Clinton Jones, keep up the great work.

:roll: :roll: :roll: