Swan...who gets him?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Swan...who gets him?

Dane Swan has cut us up in both encounters this year.

From memory Mini went with him last time??

This surely could not happen again.

esaint66
SS Life Member

Dal or Gram IMO they just have the tank to go with him.
Last edited by esaint66 on Thu 11 Sep 2008 10:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintWal
Club Player

Left Field - James Gwilt

Swan could take Gwilt to the contest. He would get lost a couple of times in traffic but I reckon he would hold his own.

rexy
SS Life Member

Very hard to tag Swan as he gets a lot of ball out wide or half a kick in front of the play, often backs his team mates to win the footy and stays away from the contest IMO. Win the contested footy and Swan will have to change his game and come in to the packs, he is slow and cant run away from packs. Just let him go head to head with any of our mids IMO. They are harder and will win more footy.

Maybe this year?
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

God Swan. Another nuggety nugget head who bolts into open goals so easily.

Batnoe

He gets a lot of his possessions in the back half, the key is to be harder at the ball and tackle and we will win the game comfortablely

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Birss

rexy
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:Birss
Birss not selected as you obviously know, cant see why we would pick 2 run with players for the least talented midfield in the final 6 (on a par with Sydney). If Didak and Heath Shaw were playing maybe? Why do people want to play more tags, we played terrible footy with multiple tags early in the season. Didnt have any ball winners.

Swan is only dangerous if the rest of the Collingwood mids are winning the ball, simple, win the ball ourselves.

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Birss not selected as you obviously know, cant see why we would pick 2 run with players for the least talented midfield in the final 6 (on a par with Sydney). If Didak and Heath Shaw were playing maybe? Why do people want to play more tags, we played terrible footy with multiple tags early in the season. Didnt have any ball winners.

Swan is only dangerous if the rest of the Collingwood mids are winning the ball, simple, win the ball ourselves.
I think Ross is looking to bolster ball winning ability which they smashed us in last time with Burns.

Swan HAS to be stopped...Birss wouldnt have been a bad match up.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Birss wouldnt be fit enough to run with Swan. I would say mini will get the job.

rexy
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Birss wouldnt be fit enough to run with Swan. I would say mini will get the job.
Mini will get either Swan or Pendlebury and that will be our only tag IMO. I rate Pendlebury higher for his creativity and elusiveness personally but Ross may not agree.

In the perfect world you would let Dal and Pendlebury play on each other but Collingwood will not allow that, Dal to dangerous without the tag and to easily tagged out of the game to ignore.

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Birss wouldnt be fit enough to run with Swan. I would say mini will get the job.
Mini couldnt stop him last time and cant hurt Swan at all the other way - Birss at least can.....

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

sam fisher???

who would go to medhurst???anthony???travis???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

What about someone from left field...Blake...believe he could run with him without doubt....might depend on the taller matchups.

.Cloke,Anthony but still like this matchup...am I off my freaking head with this????

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
jackal
Club Player

Patrick, thats actually a feasible backup option. Whoever goes to Swan must be disciplined as he works hard all day. I would start with Hayes on him first if he is in the middle or Schneider if he goes down back to keep him accountable.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

blake isnt a bad idea
i was thinking lenny to go head to head with him before i read the blake idea.

spert
Saintsational Legend

An accountable midfield is all we need -get the bloody ball first instead of trying to chase and tackle!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'm more worried about that pesky little Neon Leon....he seems to lift a few cogs against us and steals too many goals.

gosaints
Club Player

For a midfielder Swan is very strong in the air. It is one of his strengths and a reason McQualter couldn't handle him last time. A bigger bodied player must go to him. Could Eddy do the job??

yipper
SS Life Member

gosaints wrote:For a midfielder Swan is very strong in the air. It is one of his strengths and a reason McQualter couldn't handle him last time. A bigger bodied player must go to him. Could Eddy do the job??
I think Eddy is an excellent suggestion. He has a huge tank, is strong and bigger than Mini - so would be a real hadful for Swan. Eddy is a hard, tough tackler - would really put Swan off his game. Save Mini for a Leon or Thomas or Pendlebury type.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
gosaints wrote:For a midfielder Swan is very strong in the air. It is one of his strengths and a reason McQualter couldn't handle him last time. A bigger bodied player must go to him. Could Eddy do the job??
I think Eddy is an excellent suggestion. He has a huge tank, is strong and bigger than Mini - so would be a real hadful for Swan. Eddy is a hard, tough tackler - would really put Swan off his game. Save Mini for a Leon or Thomas or Pendlebury type.
Eddy would only have a centremetre or 2 on mini and after last week looks to have little idea how to tag a player. If it isnt mini then we have little choice but to try and work him the other way so it probably will have to be Gram.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Agreed Mini is too small. He might be better suited to Davis, but I don't think he's quick enough, that said who would be?

IMO Swan needs to be shut down realistically he has been the difference in both encounters, he's racked up possies, and kicked goals. I think we have them covered head 2 head provided we are switched on. Swan appears to be a bit of a barometer for the Filth...we need to shut him down.

yipper
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
yipper wrote:
Eddy would only have a centremetre or 2 on mini and after last week looks to have little idea how to tag a player. If it isnt mini then we have little choice but to try and work him the other way so it probably will have to be Gram.
Wasn't taliking about height Plugger - Eddy is a tank up against Mini. Fact is Eddy is still in the team, he didn't do anything last week at all. So, give him a completely negative task to carry out i.e. Shut Swan down. He is a hard hitter physically - we have seen that from him, so let him physically challenge Swan and give that player something to think about instead of letting him kill us. It might work - leaves Mini for some of the more lighter types.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
rexy wrote:

I think Ross is looking to bolster ball winning ability which they smashed us in last time with Burns.

exactly....

Last time we played (round 8) Birss tagged Heath Shaw and kept him to just 11 disposals....

He would have been perfect for Swan....

I am still at a loss as to why he was dropped after a 21 to 5 goal victory

Also, in that round 8 match, Blake played on Cloke and kept him goalless with just 4 marks and 10 kicks

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Teflon wrote:
rexy wrote:

exactly....

Last time we played (round 8) Birss tagged Heath Shaw and kept him to just 11 disposals....

He would have been perfect for Swan....

I am still at a loss as to why he was dropped after a 21 to 5 goal victory

Also, in that round 8 match, Blake played on Cloke and kept him goalless with just 4 marks and 10 kicks
He isnt playing though so who should be on him.