Saints versus Bulldogs GF

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Saints versus Bulldogs GF

Yeah, I know the chances of this happening are about as remote as successfully navigating your way through an asteroid field if you were flying a TIE fighter, or something...

But the prospect of it is about as exciting as flying an X-Wing into the Battle of Yavin and getting to blow up the Death Star.

It would be the GF that was supposed to be in 1997, if that dumbass goal umpire did give Libba a goal instead of behind the shtick.

Discuss the awesomeness of this scenario 8-)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

the awesomeness would be we'd knock them off 8-)

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I like your thinking.

Sounds like a plan.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I'm still trying to work out what on Earth (or off Earth) those first two sentences mean...

:shock: :wink: :shock:

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Does the G-Train get to play again in this dream??? :P :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:I'm still trying to work out what on Earth (or off Earth) those first two sentences mean...

:shock: :wink: :shock:
I used Star Wars references, because the likelyhood of it actually happening seems like it could only happen in a galaxy far, far away... :lol:
St. Luke wrote:Does the G-Train get to play again in this dream??? :P :D
Why not!

And he can beat the record amount of goals kicked in a GF (is it 9? can't remember). But Harves still gets the Norm Smith :D
Last edited by Sainternist on Mon 08 Sep 2008 11:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

would be truly awesome. We'd win our second flag and on the off chance that we might suffer the ignominy of GF defeat again, the pain would at least be lessened by knowing that another of the battler clubs would get their second flag instead.
Would love to see a Saints / Doggies GF. ONly down side is that it's hard to hate the dogs so building up a suitably venomous attitude to our opponent would be tough.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:would be truly awesome. We'd win our second flag and on the off chance that we might suffer the ignominy of GF defeat again, the pain would at least be lessened by knowing that another of the battler clubs would get their second flag instead.
Would love to see a Saints / Doggies GF. ONly down side is that it's hard to hate the dogs so building up a suitably venomous attitude to our opponent would be tough.
Pigsarse... no it wouldn't :lol:

It's the Saints or no one IMO. No 2nd favourite teams in WJ's household.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Why is it hard to hate the Doggies?

They cry poor all the time to suck money out of other supporters and governments, just like North have done this year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Agreed. I depsise the Doggies and their "holier-than-thou" players.

widereceiver
Club Player

The Dogs were catted a while ago and have gone down the toilet since, I think it's less likely than us beating the Cats last weekend.

in 1997 the Dogs beat us in the home and away.
From memory, I think Peter Foster shut down Buckets again. He always gave him grief.

in 2008 the Dogs beat us in the home and away twice.

I just hope we can spank Collingwood this week.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Re: Saints versus Bulldogs GF

Sainternist wrote:Yeah, I know the chances of this happening are about as remote as successfully navigating your way through an asteroid field if you were flying a TIE fighter, or something...

But the prospect of it is about as exciting as flying an X-Wing into the Battle of Yavin and getting to blow up the Death Star.

It would be the GF that was supposed to be in 1997, if that dumbass goal umpire did give Libba a goal instead of behind the shtick.

Discuss the awesomeness of this scenario 8-)
:lol: :lol: loved the SW references.

and i would love to see that happening. Purely so geelong, their supporters and all the media bias know where to shove it.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Can just see the headlines if the bullies roll Geelong:-

Dogs rain on Cats reign

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Why is it hard to hate the Doggies?

They cry poor all the time to suck money out of other supporters and governments, just like North have done this year.
it's hard to hate the doggies because :

They've only won one flag, just like us
They've had to battle like buggery just to survive. Nothing like the Filth or Carlscum.
The last game I went to at a 'suburban' ground was the last game ever at the Western Oval. I went along just because I'd been there a few times over the years to watch the Saints and others and it was like saying good-bye to a way of life. I loved standing in the outer.

So I've still got a soft spot for the Dogs. They keep their heads down and just get on with it. No bulls*** or self-importance.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

I have a greater chance of travelling to Mars on a bicycle than this scenario happening.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Actually, in 47 of the 48 parallel universes, the Saints have won the last 42 premierships. It seems that 1966 was only the start of the run elsewhere. We just seem to be the odd universe out!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:The last game I went to at a 'suburban' ground was the last game ever at the Western Oval. I went along just because I'd been there a few times over the years to watch the Saints and others and it was like saying good-bye to a way of life. I loved standing in the outer.
Always enjoyed going to the WO and having to stand in the outer.
My personal highlights were round 1 of 1990 and Spud's last game in 1995.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
st.byron wrote:The last game I went to at a 'suburban' ground was the last game ever at the Western Oval. I went along just because I'd been there a few times over the years to watch the Saints and others and it was like saying good-bye to a way of life. I loved standing in the outer.
Always enjoyed going to the WO and having to stand in the outer.
My personal highlights were round 1 of 1990 and Spud's last game in 1995.
Was away from Melb from 1987 - 1994 so missed any games in that time. Spud's last game was great wasn't it. Nicky Winmar on fire, Stewie kicked a bag and we were about 12 goals up at half time.
The outer at most grounds was a great place to watch footy. The banter and comments were always entertaining and it was such a leveler. No medallion clubs, no bulls***. The footy, a few beers, pies and donuts. My favourite grounds were Moorabbin, Glenferrie and Geelong. Loved it.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:Yeah, I know the chances of this happening are about as remote as successfully navigating your way through an asteroid field if you were flying a TIE fighter, or something...
Han Solo did it in the Millenium Falcon... so anything's possible :wink: :D

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Spud's last game was great wasn't it. Nicky Winmar on fire, Stewie kicked a bag and we were about 12 goals up at half time.
The outer at most grounds was a great place to watch footy. The banter and comments were always entertaining and it was such a leveler. No medallion clubs, no bulls***. The footy, a few beers, pies and donuts. My favourite grounds were Moorabbin, Glenferrie and Geelong. Loved it.
That game was a real treat after such a lean season. I seem remember Everett kicking a bag of goals as well (not that he matters anymore). Stewie and Nicky were superb.

I recall there was a lot of talk about it being Stewie's last game for us. Certainly glad is wasn't.
Pretty sure it was Devvo's last game for us before we shipped him off to Cowtown ahaha...
Boy, I still yearn for the no B.S. days of footy. I once got invited to a game at the Medallion Club. It was like watching a game amongst extras from George Romero movie. Atmosphere in there completely devoid of life as we know it.
Never experienced a Glenferrie match, as that was before my time. The trips down to Sleepy Hollow were always interesting, although Ablett (the first) cut loose and rained on out parade a few times. Made it a long V-Line trip back home ahaha...
Never had a bad day at Moorabbin, even when we lossed. The place had too much life. In a sense, we were spolit.

Good times!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:Han Solo did it in the Millenium Falcon... so anything's possible :wink: :D
He did indeed, with the help from of furry co-pilot, of course. But take into account that ship could make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

The TIE's that persued the Falcon, in that sequence, couldn't stand a chance...

If only RL could get hold of the Falcon and pilot his team through the finals.

:cough: Just nerding things up :oops:

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:
Han Solo did it in the Millenium Falcon... so anything's possible :wink: :D

Ah yes of course, the Millenium Falcon....

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:

Ah yes of course, the Millenium Falcon....
:in whiney toned Luke voice: "What a piece of junk!"

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: That game was a real treat after such a lean season. I seem remember Everett kicking a bag of goals as well (not that he matters anymore). Stewie and Nicky were superb.

I recall there was a lot of talk about it being Stewie's last game for us. Certainly glad is wasn't.
Pretty sure it was Devvo's last game for us before we shipped him off to Cowtown ahaha...
Boy, I still yearn for the no B.S. days of footy. I once got invited to a game at the Medallion Club. It was like watching a game amongst extras from George Romero movie. Atmosphere in there completely devoid of life as we know it.
Never experienced a Glenferrie match, as that was before my time. The trips down to Sleepy Hollow were always interesting, although Ablett (the first) cut loose and rained on out parade a few times. Made it a long V-Line trip back home ahaha...
Never had a bad day at Moorabbin, even when we lossed. The place had too much life. In a sense, we were spolit.

Good times!
Not surprised at the lack of medallion Club atmosphere. Part of the pleasure of being in the outer was feeling like you were really part of the game. That and the equality of it all. Same conditions for everyone. The dodgy loos, cans of beer, Jam Donuts with the boiling hot jam burning your hands.
I liked Geelong because part of the pleasure in going was getting there. Rattling through Werribee and beyond to stand in the outer.
Glenferrie was a treat. A ridiculously long and narrow ground. My Hawthorn mate marked Peter Hudson's 100th goal whilst standing on the corrugated tin roof of the dunnies at the Glenferrie Rd end. Filthy old loos but those were the days when kids could climb on the dunnies and even the scoreboard and no-one batted an eyelid. He lived off that for weeks.
Closes eyes ....leans back in chair .... sees Plugger lining up at Moorabbin.... the Saints faithful glued to his every move....the Lake Oval....Victoria Park (keep your scarf in your bag), Windy Hill, the old time clock with the 25 - 35 minute mark in red.....must be getting old... reminiscing on the old VFL.........

your momma
Club Player

interesting post.

i like the saints being rivals with the dogs.

theyve won 1 premiership?? this is new news to my ears?..

"Im never satisfied...its a curse"