Geelong's Tactics

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Geelong's Tactics

Tell me if i'm crazy, but I noticed yesterday that Geelong use illegal tactics in one on one contests.

When the ball is travelling to a contest, the Geelong player infringes the opposition well before the ball or tv cameras arrive, hence the umpire isn't looking at the contest, he's still got eyes on where the ball has come from. And in the umpires review, it's never picked up.

It puts the opposition player out of position, and most times lead to an easy Geelong mark or easy spoil. Mooney, Scarlett and Ottens were the worst offenders.

Did anyone else noticed this???

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

They've been getting away with it for quite a while now and good luck to them. Just shows how professional they've become.

We need to beat tehm at their own game, but won't until we get stronger bodies and better skills.

Geezer
Club Player

what really impresses me about geelong is the physical side.
they love the body contact and run in packs to support their teammates.
saw Mooney run from 35 meters away to provide a bump that created extra time for a disposal. This when the game was already over.
Their middle size players are really agile and quick and can create the 1/2 metre or so space to advantage on the lead.
with only reiwoldt as key forward their backline zoned well and left milne and schnid's to help Henry take on roo..

In the 1st half i couldn't help but notice the pressure we were under when the ball came quickly into their forward line. We barely managed a clear disposal and their run out of the backline was supurb.
was like a pinball at times ... in to our forwards and straight back out.

in all honesty i figured a 4-5 goal loss would be respectable for us...
theres a reason we finished 8 games behind the cats .....

put this way - id rather play collingwood than sydney.
and think the collingwood-hawthorn passage is better than what the doggies have to overcome.

IMO still confident for the filth game.
provided lenny gets off as he was prob our best out there yesterday IMO.

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
Red
Club Player

They copied the eagles blocking from 05 /06 which allowed Cousins and Judd

to get free.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:They copied the eagles blocking from 05 /06 which allowed Cousins and Judd

to get free.
Bingo! They're backline also plays very similarly IMO.

yipper
SS Life Member

Interesting in the ruck contests - Blake and Ottens would grab King by the front of his jumper and pull him toward them as he went up for the ball - nearly every time. The thing that frustrated me was that it happened right in front of the umps and no free kick was awarded all day for that play. They got away with a lot the cats and got the lucky breaks early - that sunk us. The Milne "free" in the 1st Q was just absurd.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Geezer
Club Player

id love to be sitting in on the umpires meeting when geishen get's to that milne incident....
a week off i think for that umpire.
got caught up in the emotion of the game and happens probably 10 times a game. umpire was on the back side of that incident and guessed what happeneded. Johnson milked it for all its worth and the fact that it was milne probably lent some weight to it also

interesting that with the inclusion of 2 extra boundary umpires no one could see the lenny incident.

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

AFL/VFL...has always been a game that you get away with what you can....if you want to win.

whether that be S Johnson's dive....or Rooke pushes guys under the ball with his forearm in marking contests...or the plays mentioned above.

Often I think the Saints have rarely cottoned on to this. Sheedy was a master of it.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 08 Sep 2008 3:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

RL and co would be aware of any tactics the opposition use. It's another thing getting our players to pull their collective fingers out when it counts.

Duggie1
Club Player

If "illegal tactics" can better be described as reading the oppostions moves then that is just what happened.
I just could not believe the number of times I saw a handball or even a kick cut off/intercepted by Geelong players. They were in effect reading Saints' players minds.
Is this a new skill evolving in our game?
Has Geelong employed a squad of head shrinkers on its coaching staff? :lol:

Always a Saint
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintsRrising wrote:AFL/VFL...has always been a game that you get away with what you can....if you want to win.

whether that be S Johnson's dive....or Rooke pushes guys under the ball with his forearm in marking contests...or the plays mentioned above.

Often I think the Saints have rarely cottoned on to this. Sheedy was a master of it.
Yeah agree, wasnt it sheedy that made players write/sit exams?
I know he was one of the first to say that footy is 90% above the shoulders.
If you can think your way throgh a situation before it happens you obviously have an advantage. I see it many times with our guys sitting under a high ball. They almost accept the fact they are going to be used as a step ladder.

Seeya