Crafty Cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

Crafty Cats

I will Watch the game again but the cats are very good at not over comitting to ground ball contests. If one Geelong player is on the ground others "generally" don't just barrel in to hold the ball up. Their players then go to the defensive side of the contest and await the hopefully loose ball. A number of times this made it seem that they had more players to run away freely if the ball spilled out.

The other more obvious point is that you must win the ball at contests as they split and run while the ball is still in dispute. This is something the Saints did extremely well in 04/05 but also left you exposed when you did not win the contest.

We will learn from today.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Yep, I saw that too. It was amazing how their mids ran forward of the play while the ball was still in dispute - absolute faith in their team mates winning the contest.

Did you also noticed Mark Blake's tactics in the ruck? As he and the our ruckman landed after their ruck contest, he pulled the front of his jumper, putting him off balance and unable to move to protect our smaller players trying to find the ball. I saw him do this to King about a dozen times.

felixleo
Club Player

saintwal you are the voice of reason in this madhouse,also noticed how good the cats are when they don't have the ball at anticipating who will receive it next and tackling that player just as he gets it.

Are you gonna be the one?
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Yeah spot on - said in another post that Geelong had a few set plays at centre ball ups - they would stand defensive side of the ruck contest handball the ball out back and then one or two more handballs sideways and then a kick to another midfielder who would be running forward from the centre area into space with the flight of the ball

This kick needs to be chopped out by a loose man coming off the centre square either that our we just win the bloody centre clearance which we didn't do much of today

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
doristhesaint
Club Player

Re: Crafty Cats

SaintWal wrote:I will Watch the game again but the cats are very good at not over comitting to ground ball contests. If one Geelong player is on the ground others "generally" don't just barrel in to hold the ball up. Their players then go to the defensive side of the contest and await the hopefully loose ball. A number of times this made it seem that they had more players to run away freely if the ball spilled out.

The other more obvious point is that you must win the ball at contests as they split and run while the ball is still in dispute. This is something the Saints did extremely well in 04/05 but also left you exposed when you did not win the contest.

Great post they play footy simply they make every movement of the ball a contest and always have that player behind the ball then they work it forward into space. It was good to watch. Unfortunay

SaintWal
Club Player

It has been a funny feeling tonight. I am disappointed but not devastated. I really just want the coaching staff and players to learn for next time.

felixleo
Club Player

Crack another red and maybe a warm fuzzy feeling will develop.

SaintWal
Club Player

felixleo wrote:Crack another red and maybe a warm fuzzy feeling will develop.
To the wine rack we must go!

Rowdy
Club Player

SaintWal wrote:
To the wine rack we must go!

I tried that through out the year, no wonder the cellar has no reds left............................. :shock: :cry:

"Our season is still alive," Lyon said. "It's not the end for Robert."

Harvey's mates stood listening to those words, perhaps planning to keep the AFL's longest career lingering a while yet. Then turned into softcocks and blew it YET again.
barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Crafty Cats

SaintWal wrote:I will Watch the game again but the cats are very good at not over comitting to ground ball contests. If one Geelong player is on the ground others "generally" don't just barrel in to hold the ball up. Their players then go to the defensive side of the contest and await the hopefully loose ball. A number of times this made it seem that they had more players to run away freely if the ball spilled out.

I was thinking whilst looking at Ross's reactions that he was just seeing what was going to happen, I think he's much smarter than given credit for and will learn alot from today

How do they hold their nerve sometimes? at times I was prepared for nothing short of murder to change what was happening :wink: anyhoo go Saints

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
felixleo
Club Player

I hope he learned a lot today but does he have the time and the resources to implement a solution?

SaintWal
Club Player

The pies are the only team to have beaten the cats this year. What did they do?

By memory it was relentless one on one pressure. Today we played dumb football. Over committed, over awed, combined with shocking disposal.

The other aspect the cats do better than anyone else by a country mile is protect their ball carriers, hence they get more space and time and can then hurt you badly.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

A good thread.

What I do take out of today (and there isnt much)....is that yes Collingwood pressured Geelong last time IMHO we pressured as poorly as Ive seen under Lyon today.

“Yeah….nah””