CJ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CJ

The ONE player who stepped up and improved beyond the average of their seasons form today..was CJ..

Well done

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sam23
SS Life Member

bulls***.

His aim was to stop Bartel and Bartel was BOG.

I don't care how many good things he did but the players he was tagging got 34 touches.

Goddard.
Batnoe

i really enjoyed his game.....

He really tackled hard and had Bartel under the pump. I think you will find he only played on Bartel after half time and tackled him a lot...

20 possessions to half time, 34 for the game

he only got 14 possessions on Jones after half time... Really showed some run and pressure.. will be a player
Last edited by Batnoe on Sun 07 Sep 2008 7:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:bulls***.

I don't care how many good things he did but the players he was tagging got 34 touches.
You are wrong....see Batnoe's post.

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

CJ PLAYED ON BARTELL FOR ONEHALF QRT

bergsone
SS Life Member

Agree ,IMO was our best today,and did step up,especially early when others were really struggling.Unfortunately CJ being our best means others really struggled

Batnoe

bergsone wrote:Agree ,IMO was our best today,and did step up,especially early when others were really struggling.Unfortunately CJ being our best means others really struggled
it is good to see him play well, but for him to be our best, i agree- we had passengers

I am glad Ross threw some match ups in the air, but they didnt really pull off this week.. Roo and Milne on the wing for one... i really think our midfield let us down today with shocking entry into fwd 50 and not enough pressure on the cats as they seemed to be able to mark it too often

Marks inside 50 in first half -8 to 1 to them

nicko016
Club Player

Disregarding what Bartel did, I thought CJ was fantastic and probably our 2nd best behind Sam Fisher. He was one player who could actually stick a tackle and put Geelong under some pressure.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:bulls***.

DO you have to swear in ALL your posts Sam?

CJ was definately in our best today...as otrhers have said he wasnt on Bartel prior to halftime when he did all his deamage?

Now...who was on Ablett AFTER half time? Eddy it seemed at times? Tore him a new one if so. Eddy's 1st half was OK

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I am still constantly amazed at how some supporters still bag the bejeebies out of Jones. He was clearly in the top five today, regardless of who was a passenger or not, he played a game of footy today.

Seeya
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sam Fisher was our best player by the length of the flemington straight....

Lenny battled hard but was not helped and his possesions did not do ANY damage...

Goddard was OK...

CJ was hard-working but generally ineffective....his touches are less than damaging...

I though Raph played OK and Gilbert was serviceable when he was moved off SJ

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

At least he had a go.
Running, chasing etc whilst others just stood and watched.
Has the skills of trying to smother a ball disappeared?
I swaer there players turning away away from the opposite number who were kicking the ball. Tackles are high in number, so how about we match it with smothers.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

To me it felt like the only ones tackling and endeavouring to apply any pressure on their ball carriers were Lenny and CJ (The Mascot). CJ is a ripper and has won me over, another player our more talented can learn from.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Sam Fisher was our best player by the length of the flemington straight....
YEs BUT my OP was about CJ stepping up and playing better tha his average season form.

Sam was very good...but no beter than his normal good form.

Now I am not knocking Sam...jsut making the point that most Saints were down....and that IMO that CJ was the only Saint to play better than his average season's form.
many of our players went missing.

The Cats I am afraid have too much quality.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

CJ play possibly his best game for the us today...

His disposal efficiency was way up there

Gee he has improved in that area

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
kaos theory
Club Player

Ok, CJ has the endevour & commitment that few others showed. He chased, harassed, and put his body on the line time & time again.

BUT....we will never win a flag with this type of player. He has limited ability to hurt the opposition, Too often in 50/50 situations he will not be able to win, and his only weapon is to allow the opposition player to win the ball, then try to chase him down & tackle him.

He will ultimately need to be replaced with a player that has similar commitment, but more skill & ball winning ability. Take alook at the cats if you don't see what I'm saying. They have no such player as Jones.

The sad fact is that we lack talent in the midfield, with Ball out, and amartage a little slow (and another yr away), and geay another 2 yrs away from solid contirbutions, we are not able to handle the very best mids in the game.

I know some of you might think I'm disrespecting his efforts. I'm not. He gets the best out of his abilities. Just saying if we want to go that step futher, we need more talent in our midfield.
Last edited by kaos theory on Sun 07 Sep 2008 8:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He was one of the few who could land an effective tackle today. The conditions did suit him and credit to him for stepping up in his first final.

He still isn't a player you would want in your best 22, but today he performed far better than many of his more talented team mates.
Last edited by mad saint guy on Sun 07 Sep 2008 8:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

WEVE GOT TALENT, BUT WHERE WERE THEY TODAY.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Was pretty much the only bloke who could stick a tackle, especially when the game was still there to be won. Played good, one of the few who could say that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

To say we wont flags with guys like Jones in the side is a slur.....its akin to saying you wont win flags with giys like A Thompson in your side cause in may respects to em Jones mirrors Thompson (both ordinary kicks - Jones better tackler).

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:Ok, CJ has the endevour & commitment that few others showed. He chased, harassed, and put his body on the line time & time again.

BUT....we will never win a flag with this type of player. He has limited ability to hurt the opposition, Too often in 50/50 situations he will not be able to win, and his only weapon is to allow the opposition player to win the ball, then try to chase him down & tackle him.

He will ultimately need to be replaced with a player that has similar commitment, but more skill & ball winning ability. Take alook at the cats if you don't see what I'm saying. They have no such player as Jones.

The sad fact is that we lack talent in the midfield, with Ball out, and amartage a little slow (and another yr away), and geay another 2 yrs away from solid contirbutions, we are not able to handle the very best mids in the game.

I know some of you might think I'm disrespecting his efforts. I'm not. He gets the best out of his abilities. Just saying if we want to go that step futher, we need more talent in our midfield.
I don't disagree with what you say.....but if a few others who are more gifted than CJ could aply themselves as much as he does...the Saints would bea much better team.

The Cats have ample talent true,,,,,but what really sets them aside is that all who wear the hoops at present are fully committed with superb workrates and teamplay. This is making a very good team...a great team.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 07 Sep 2008 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeffDunne

If our so called senior players matched his effort we may have put up a contest.

He made some mistakes but seemed to be the only player in red, white & black that understands the intensity required in finals.
Last edited by JeffDunne on Sun 07 Sep 2008 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:If our so called senior players matched his effort we may have put up a contest.

He made some mistakes but seemed to be the only player in red, white & black that understands the intensity require in finals.
100% agree...

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:To say we wont flags with guys like Jones in the side is a slur.....its akin to saying you wont win flags with giys like A Thompson in your side cause in may respects to em Jones mirrors Thompson (both ordinary kicks - Jones better tackler).
agreed...

Jones = better kick to position than Gram...

Jones is less likely to turn the ball over that results in goals against than Gram...

CJ's disposals have improved

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Richter
SS Life Member

kaos theory wrote:BUT....we will never win a flag with this type of player. He has limited ability to hurt the opposition, Too often in 50/50 situations he will not be able to win, and his only weapon is to allow the opposition player to win the ball, then try to chase him down & tackle him.

Absolutely spot on.

What the Cats showed us today is that every one of your team needs to be able to win contested ball. Jones cant do it. his disposal by foot is poor but he can overcome this by running and handballing and selecting his targets sensibly.

Inability to win ball in a contested situation though - how do you overcome that? By being a good tackler? Not enough IMO
Last edited by Richter on Sun 07 Sep 2008 9:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...