Scoring Power Vs. Geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Scoring Power Vs. Geelong

Can we kick enough goals against Geelong's defence?

Scarlett surely won't be mauled by Roo - he's too good a player to concede 8 or 9? Or will Thompson hopefully continue with the failed experiment of Mackie on the opposition's key forward?

Can Milne get one back on Hunt? Hunt's had his measure recently.

Can Kosi take pack marks againts Harley whilst Milburn's the 3rd man up?

Can Schneider get loose ball with such a tight backline?

Will our forwards get anything resembling good delivery with our midfield most likely under more pressure than ever this week?

This to me is the hard bit. Our backline is sound. Our mids are workmanlike and classy at the same time.

Our forwards though are the ones that have had a good second half of the year. Woeful early, and the results reflected that. Good late, and the results in turn followed.

Can our forwards have a big day against the Cats?

It's crucial. My heart says yes, but my head says no.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

What is crucial, is that we work to give players like Goddard and Dal Santo the space they need in the middle.

If they can each get 10-15 kicks in the middle of the park, then it wouldnt matter what matchups there are.

Goddard into the midfield was the masterstroke that everyone thought it would be, hes been fantastic since being moved in there when Hayes went down with his hammy.

Cosmo Kramer

I think Kosi is a big key here.
Mark Blake is seriously overated and if Kosi can drift into the forward line after contesting the centre bounce and run into space he could be the difference as they don't have any backs who can handle a tall forward and i think playing at the MCG will be a bonus to us as we can create more space in the forward line and stop there defenders from zoning off too much which they can do alot more easily at a smaller ground.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scoring Power Vs. Geelong

rodgerfox wrote:

Great points and I've also got the same feeling as the above quote...but...

It'll be very interesting to see how this game pans out on Sunday. We've really got nothing to lose by trying our hardest to get over these blokes. Just imagine if we touch them up this Sunday, and then someone else finishes them off in a 2nd Elim final 8-) :lol:

So tired I am of hearing about who and what team will be meeting Geelong in the Prelim because they're going straight there and over the top of us! I'd love it if our boys could turn the comp on its ear!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
StSteven
Club Player

What is crucial, is that we work to give players like Goddard and Dal Santo the space they need in the middle.

Not trying to be smart here but what I don't get is how we are going to close them down with tackling and in close work and yet open it up when we need it to be open.

Interested in tacticians views.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I'd back Roo over Scarlett. Especially with the workrate that he does now...

Scarlett will fold. Our delivery is crucial.

Geelong's defence IS their weakness. Thing is, their mids are so good, it doesnt matter.

Hy heart says yes and my head says no also....but I reckon, if we show up and have a red hot crack, we can knock this one off.....

F*** its only Tuesday and I'm already going out of my mind here....

If anything, Geelong are being blown up greater than any of the Brizvegas sides ever were. Every scribe in the town is marking them dead set monties....

All I ask for is a genuine effort. Do the fkn jumper proud.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sobraz
SS Life Member

I really think we have a few options which can trouble the cats like few other teams can... North showed that a tall, marking, key forward can cause damage, when Hale kicked 8... Kosi will need to float down and create an option to help Roo..

I honestly think Roo has been building form for the past 10 weeks and is ready to explode.... It wouldnt surpirse me if he kicks a 7 or 8 goal bag this week, putting him in rarified air when it comes to greatness... His time is now..

Raph, Gwilt and Charlie need to make Harley and Milburn accountable, as they are expert 3rd men up, and will pay little respect to these 3 forwards to help out Scarlett and Taylor... We need to play through them...

Would also like to see BJ pushed forward at different times, as he is brilliant overhead and the best kick we've got... Anywhere from 55/60 he is dangerous...

We have the firepower up forward, and if our midfield atleast breaks even, we will be right in their to take the week off... Got a good feeling about this one!!... :lol:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Now your just talking dirty :P

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ThePunter
Club Player

Here's the team that played Round 4 v Geelong

B S Fisher Hudghton Gilbert
HB Gram Maguire Goddard
C Montagna Dal Santo Dempster
HF X Clarke Riewoldt Fiora
F Milne Koschitzke Gehrig
Foll King Hayes Ball
Int Harvey L Fisher Jones Blake

Assuming Dempster is replaced with Ball this week and there are no other changes, then from Round 4 to QF is

In: Schneider R Clarke Birss C Gardiner Gwilt Eddy
Out: Maguire Dempster X Clarke Fiora Gehrig L Fisher

We will be less cumbersome this time around, quicker and more nimble. They will probably be able to keep Harley and Scarlett on lesser types, with Taylor starting on Kosi and Mackie on Riewoldt. It is really important these two get on top early, especially Kosi. I wouldn't be surprised if Scarlett goes to C Gardiner, as Chuck may take him to the ball.

We just need to make sure their backline is accountable. I don't care if it is 12 on 12 down there - every Geelong player to have an opponent.

StSteven
Club Player

Why will "Scarlet fold..." This is just a hope not a reality. They have been ruthless this year against ALL sides (except Collingwood), every week.

Every week the opposition has said we saw how to beat Geelong against Collingwood but not one side has been able to do it....only talk about it.

I just can't see them folding.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scoring Power Vs. Geelong

rodgerfox wrote:Can we kick enough goals against Geelong's defence?

Scarlett surely won't be mauled by Roo - he's too good a player to concede 8 or 9? Or will Thompson hopefully continue with the failed experiment of Mackie on the opposition's key forward?

Can Milne get one back on Hunt? Hunt's had his measure recently.

Can Kosi take pack marks againts Harley whilst Milburn's the 3rd man up?

Can Schneider get loose ball with such a tight backline?

Will our forwards get anything resembling good delivery with our midfield most likely under more pressure than ever this week?

This to me is the hard bit. Our backline is sound. Our mids are workmanlike and classy at the same time.

Our forwards though are the ones that have had a good second half of the year. Woeful early, and the results reflected that. Good late, and the results in turn followed.

Can our forwards have a big day against the Cats?

as part of the backline who is going to take dempsters place?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

What we may lack in firepower will have to be compenstated by restricting their scoring IMO. Shut them down, and half the battle is won.

I guess we'll finally see how capable we are in executing the "defensive" dimension to our gameplan.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

with mackie playing kpp it gives harley and milburn much more freedom to set up, and scarlett to a lesser degree

so say if they are going to do that...whoever gets mackie at given times has to get a major bag on him, obviously mackie wont have the same opponent all day however whoever is on him must hurt him on the scoreboard...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I wasnt saying the side would fold...

My point, which I obviously failed to get through above, was that Roo's workrate breaks his opponents. Not too many full backs/CHB's can chase him for a full game...He can blow people up. He is a damn hard matchup. Full stop.

If we can get Kos down there, and maybe King in stints, with Charlie as a hit up lead again....who knows. If we can get some quality out of the middle, they are gonna be tough to stop.

Plus, we have two small forwards in Milne & Schneider in good form atm... Looks decent to me.

Just gotta get the ball clean in there...and then keep it there.

My concern is the midfield, and the backs. I can back our defence. IF our mids can break even....and stop the Geelong mids from kicking soft goals......

I dont think there is a surefire way that anyone could dismantle Geelong. They have been the absolute standout this year. I'm no idiot. They have however, been in cruise control for the past six weeks or so, with only North pushing them somewhat at skilled....There is no reason why we cannot show up to play, put in 100% and take a win...

May be unlikely, but hey...its a two horse race and finals....In finals, anything can eventuate.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

its f****** exciting we at least get an opportunity and the second chance after playing the obvious benchmark

a good time for us to 'improve on our football' ross??? eh?

cant f****** wait

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt is the key up forward.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Gwilt is the key up forward.
Could be....

StSteven
Club Player

There is no reason why we cannot show up to play, put in 100% and take a win...
Totally agree but Cruise Control No. Since Round 17 they played Hawthorn (4 or so top players out), North who were touted as their only challenger at that time, Swans in Sydney who were in the four and considered a real threat, and the long awaited Bulldogs match who were going to be Grand Finalists. They pumped them all.....and worse still those teams then went into poor form after losing to them, some say because of soreness, others say psychological.

If we beat them it will be our greatest victory......but hey football is a funny game.

boneless23
Club Player

I agree that Gwilt is the key up forward.

I think we have under estimated the effect that Hamill's retirement has had on our forward line over the last few years and if Gwilt can step up and be the dangerous third tall it will take a lot of pressure off Roo and Kosi.

karnaby
Club Player

I seriously doubt our ability to match geelong in a shoot-out, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a really strong focus on defense and man on man accountability with few options for us to free wheel.

A very low scoring borefest could possibly be the order of the day & if that is what it takes to beat the baskets I'd take it any day.

Gotta be in it to win it - and we're in it!

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
ThePunter
Club Player

The good thing about Gwilt is we know he can play well in a final.

Richter
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:Gwilt is the key up forward.
No he isn't. Our 4 times B & F winner is.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:

Not trying to be smart here but what I don't get is how we are going to close them down with tackling and in close work and yet open it up when we need it to be open.

Interested in tacticians views.
We'll need to close them down over the park - but dal (like ablett) can make space where there is none. We can't expect otherwise - cats won't allow us space. His and bj's delivery is essential - as is our taller forwards playing the game of their lives -and our conversion must improve.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:I seriously doubt our ability to match geelong in a shoot-out, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a really strong focus on defense and man on man accountability with few options for us to free wheel.

A very low scoring borefest could possibly be the order of the day & if that is what it takes to beat the baskets I'd take it any day.

Gotta be in it to win it - and we're in it!
if we go into our shells and try to lock it down, we've no chance.

we must continue to take risks and move it quickly as we did on sunday as freezing up will be fatal against such a confident and accomplished outfit.

will help if our defence can be similarly dominant as it has been the past couple of weeks.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I don't think Scarlett will play on Roo or Kosi.
We will keep them up the ground and either drag Scarlett up exposing the goal front or take him out of the equation with Roo and Kosi kicking at goal from further out. With a "decoy" full forward.
Who would be the "decoy" full forward ? Gwilt,Charlie G ?

We are going to need a seriously accountable tagging job in the middle.
Ablett must be kept quiet for us to have a chance.
Such a shame Steven Baker isn't up and about as this would be his bread and butter. And also that Luke Ball is out.

I don't think Kosi will play on Blake. That'll be King. Kosi will go with Ottens.

One things for sure the Collingwood v Geelong game from earlier in the year will be on continuous play this week at Moorabbin.
There is a formula in there to be used.