CLASSY, Saints Fans, CLASSY !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

CLASSY, Saints Fans, CLASSY !!

The true class of the Saints faithful showed through at the end of yesterday's game. Almost ALL of the Cheersquad & the Moorabbin Wing Invaders who took up camp beside the CS stayed and showed respect to the Essendon players who are bowing out of the game.

This was a whole lot more than the large number of Essendon fans who started filling the aisles just after 3/4 time !!

Liam_G
Club Player

I couldn't imagine leaving before applauding the retirees. I was in Aisle 23, so had to wait for them to come around 3/4 of the ground, and the majority in that area stayed and applauded and showed much respect.

It would not be an easy thing, playing football at the highest level, and I think the majority of football fans know that and will always give those players retiring the respect they deserve. I'll do it for the opposition, and I'd be disappointed if the opposition didn't do it for a retiring Saints player.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I was thinking the same thing during the day.

I also thought it was a great sight seeing the Essendon players getting that chant off the ground, it was good loyalty, however with 16 flags it wouldn't be too hard to stay loyal for a couple of years should it :lol:

I was delighted to be able to see Rama's last game, one of the most inspiring players to ever put on a pair of boots for mine...

I just wish I didn't have to clap for Mal :evil: :evil:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

do unto others

we expect a team in september to do it to us unless we win the damn thing - then the opposition can piss off the field and allow the great man the ultimate pleasure

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Ackland St. Blues
Club Player

It was a credit to St.Kilda and their supporters. Kudos.

Something that a club like Hawthorn could learn from (Riccuito and his last game).

Cheers

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

WE stayed. Had great AFL reserve seats about 4 rows behind the Essendon bench so the boys virtually did a full lap before they came past us, but wouldn't have dreamed of leaving without giving due respect to Rama - big heart and a real role model.

Always easier I guess when you've just been dishing out high fives for making the top four.... :D :D 8-) 8-)

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yep...got to give Rama a Hi-5/handshake as he went past Aisle 23..noticed he was wearing the yellow wristband too

Looked great on the telly too..a sea of Saints fans at that end showing their appreciation

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

There were more saints there at the end than Bombers. All were clapping. Then this ungrateful sour bad loosing trolop next to us yelled "Come on Geelong!! " as she left,whilst Saints fans were clapping off opposition players.

It's great that they'll be bottom 4 again next year

Bring back the Lockett era
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I was listening at the time on SEN as I had a previous commitment and Dermie and Eddie were absolutely rapt with the way our supporters and players went about showing their respects.

Top class.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

At least we can hold our heads high and show respect. More than I can say for that lot, who did nothing but abuse us and boo Roo. Always have been the scum of the earth. :evil:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
goodie
Club Player

Well, part of the reason I stayed was I wanted one of the footies the boys were giving out to the crowd (missed out again).

But Rama, Peverill and Johnson all deserve a send-off.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

It was amazing to see Essendon supporters leaving during the last quarter. It was something I couldn't comprehend.

Not only that, but the Essendon members area on level 1 was quite empty from the start.

Just shows that the true test of loyalty is when a club is going through difficult times, not when it is flying.

Well done Saints.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:I couldn't imagine leaving before applauding the retirees. I was in Aisle 23, so had to wait for them to come around 3/4 of the ground,
I was in aisle 25 and had to wait much the same time. It was only respectful to cheer those blokes off.

I've got a lot of time for Rama and everything he's been through.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:Just shows that the true test of loyalty is when a club is going through difficult times, not when it is flying.
Still, paid up members money still gets to the club regardless of whether or not you turn up to the game.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Its only right that we show respect to retiring players. The respect was well earned after all.

Cant expect to much from the Essendon fans really. Now they have a taste of being down they apparently dont like it that much (which I spose is fair enough) but its an absolute disgrace they didnt stick around to honor their retiring legends.

HANG YOPUR HEADS IN SHAME ESSENDON FANS

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

And also, credit where it's due, I know this was mentioned in passing, but while we praise ourselves for showing class, well done on the Crows players giving Harves a guard of honour after his last home game.

Would have been the last thing they'd feel like doing after getting thrashed (and as it turned out - losing a top four spot).

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.