Credit To Raph Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Credit To Raph Clarke

Thank you Raph for a great game today, to follow up your great game last week.

Keep it going mate, and the sky's the limit.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
JeffDunne

Agreed.

Given the year he's had off the field & the crap he's copped from his own 'supporters', it's a real credit to him to come back like he has.

Well played Raph!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hear hear.

I admit to having this bloke gone.

I didnt think hed cut it.

I was wrong and am super glad to admit that.

Great game. Wrapt the attack on the footy and decision making was first class.

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

My heart swelled a little with pride today to see him play with such dash and flair...but with some intensity and awareness, too.

The game suited him today. It was very unnacountable, loose and free-flowing.

I fear the pressure-cooker of can't-make-mistakes from next week onwards might be tough for him, especially if he has to mark a Steven Johnson, Ryan Gamble or Mathew Stokes - he habitually gets destroyed by players with footy smarts.

He did well today and I was impressed, but finals throws up a whole new intensity - and requires close checking and smart play of the highest order.

Having said that, in 2005, he played very well against Adelaide - but I'm just still a little shaky this time around.

Maybe without Dempster and Maguire, and with Gram and Chips playing up the ground, we might not have a choice.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:My heart swelled a little with pride today to see him play with such dash and flair...but with some intensity and awareness, too.

I fear the pressure-cooker of can't-make-mistakes from next week onwards might be tough for him, especially if he has to mark a Steven Johnson, Ryan Gamble or Mathew Stokes - he habitually gets destroyed by players with footy smarts.

He did well today and I was impressed, but finals throws up a whole new intensity - and requires close checking and smart play of the highest order.

Having said that, in 2005, he played very well against Adelaide - but I'm just still a little shaky this time around.

Maybe without Dempster and Maguire, and with Gram and Chips playing up the ground, we might not have a choice.

give him some credit ffs........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Have been A Raph critic & dont shy away from that , I give credit where credit is due & he has proved me wrong .He deserves all the praise hes getting & i hope he just keeps on keeping on

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:My heart swelled a little with pride today to see him play with such dash and flair...but with some intensity and awareness, too.

I hope Raph prints this out and re your issue of struggling in a finals pressure environment writes "BS" all over it, and proves you wrong!

Raph CAN play good footy under pressure, and I reckon he WILL against Geelong. Trust him. I do now.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

From where he was 2 months ago in the VFL, it's an amazingly huge leap. He was copping abuse from the stands of Casey, and I said at the time that his heart just didn't seem in his footy, which is probably a huge insult to the man.

I had his '08 written off after seeing the way he went about it, but to his credit, and to the credit of those that supported him closely, good on him.

He has worked through adversity, which I won't bring up here, but his steely resolve and discipline has seen him break into the AFL side a much better player than ever before.

Sam23
SS Life Member

Disgraceful post.

3 solid games in a row for Raph now.

Goddard.
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

I noticed how calm under pressure he was, if the ball was on the ground near him in the 50m then he would just pick it up and dash through the middle!! He was great, keep going young man!!

Go saints in '09!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Raph is one I'm going to be watching very, very closely.

I strongly believe that for all (necessary) the focus on blooding kids, and building up games, it's finals experience that really tells you, really makes, and really breaks a lot of players.

While today's game may have helped the statsline (for everyone, not just Raph), given his recent form, this is where we'll really find out - he's still young, but this is where everything gets magnified by everyone - not just his own supporters.

If he can play the way he has the last 3 weeks, he'll get credit he wouldn't be able to remember from his debut year... and if he lets brainfades colour his game, he'll be written off by the world at large.

Big stage, and he's a talent whose probably earned the right to play finals. He and Gwilt are part of the reason for our form, and I can't wait to see what they do next week.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Have a listen to you wankers, the guy has been a liability for so long and he strings a couple together and you go ape droppings. :roll: :roll: :roll:

............he is doing ok, isn't he :wink:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Stokes is up on report. I reckon he'll miss a week

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i won't shy away from being one of the idiots who wrote raph off...

i am so happy to be wrong

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
To the top
SS Life Member

Some on here seem to have forgotten his game v. Adelaide in the 2005 Qualifying Final.

Centre-half-back in wet conditions in Adelaide, played in front of a bigger opponent all night and was one of the BOG's behind Harvey.

You do not play as he played that night, with less than 20 games under his belt, if you can not play the game.

And it was a final.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

the kid has some serious ability.

some will laugh, but he looks a potential superstar to me and i think ultimately might be wasted to an extent on a hbf.

like to see him play wing with stints on the ball.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Played very well again tonight.

3 good games in a row.

He's building nicely, the kid.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:the kid has some serious ability.

some will laugh, but he looks a potential superstar to me and i think ultimately might be wasted to an extent on a hbf.

Can't play 22 blokes on the ball.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:

The bulldogs somehow manage! :lol:

SideshowMilne
Club Player

stinger wrote:
evertonfc wrote:My heart swelled a little with pride today to see him play with such dash and flair...but with some intensity and awareness, too..

Sam23 wrote:
Disgraceful post.

Above is my pet hate with SS. Somone writes a personal opinion which is pretty close to the mark (and contains praise mind you), and it gets beat down by a couple of one-eyed dingbats who can only tolerate 100% positive sentiments posted. Without educated fan opinion both ways SS is worthless.

Richter
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:

Why not? For us only Max has not had a run through the midfield at some stage this season.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Gun!!!

Will dominate the AFL in four to five years time!!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SideshowMilne wrote:
stinger wrote:
evertonfc wrote:My heart swelled a little with pride today to see him play with such dash and flair...but with some intensity and awareness, too..

Sam23 wrote:
Disgraceful post.

Above is my pet hate with SS. Somone writes a personal opinion which is pretty close to the mark (and contains praise mind you), and it gets beat down by a couple of one-eyed dingbats who can only tolerate 100% positive sentiments posted. Without educated fan opinion both ways SS is worthless.

well piss off then.....

...you know sfa.......

raph was criticised so much on here it caused him depression.........don't take my word for it....that comes from his mum......

..he then plays a very good game...only to be again doubted by pple on here....after some faint praise sure...but.... sure i stuck up for him.....and for that i get a f*** wit like you calling me a dingbat .....not that i give a fat rats for your opinion, clown....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

i'm betting that you are a carsum troll anyway...... :evil:
Last edited by stinger on Tue 02 Sep 2008 3:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Massive Raph fan... Plays the game the way I wish I could...

One thing ive noiced since he's been back in the side is his size... He looks like he has grown up and sideways, and is now much stronger than even a few months ago..

He has a great frame and is filling out... its only going to get better for Raph..

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Massive Raph fan... Plays the game the way I wish I could...

One thing ive noiced since he's been back in the side is his size... He looks like he has grown up and sideways, and is now much stronger than even a few months ago..

He has a great frame and is filling out... its only going to get better for Raph..
people are saying kosi's the wildcard going in to september and that might be true, but i reckon it's more so for raphael.

a very good player (potentially a very, very good player) that the competition has written off and will pay scant respect.

i'd bring in his older brother X for dempster and free raphael up to create ... loose across half back or on the wing or even on the ball for a bit.