The Fox Report - 25/8/08

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Fox Report - 25/8/08

We won.

We played well.

Our good players played well.

We kicked poorly.

Started poorly.

Gwilt looked dangerous forward.

Contrary to most, I thought Kosi looked Ok. He had a 'shocker' in terms of errors, but the ball found him and some of his tapwork was quite good.

Roo continues to be the player we know he should be.

Harves is still our barometer. That's a concern.

Max is a freak.

Sam Fisher is a very, very good footballer.

King and Goddard give away too many frees.

I thought the umps looked after us a bit.

We're playing finals after a noticable absence from last year's September action.

Hopefully Ball will be right, then on the injury front we're travelling pretty well.

I'm quite happy.

That is all.

Raven
Club Player

Re: The Fox Report - 25/8/08

rodgerfox wrote:We won.

We played well.

Our good players played well.

We kicked poorly.

Started poorly.

Gwilt looked dangerous forward.

Contrary to most, I thought Kosi looked Ok. He had a 'shocker' in terms of errors, but the ball found him and some of his tapwork was quite good.

Roo continues to be the player we know he should be.

Harves is still our barometer. That's a concern.

Max is a freak.

Sam Fisher is a very, very good footballer.

I thought the umps looked after us a bit.

We're playing finals after a noticable absence from last year's September action.

Hopefully Ball will be right, then on the injury front we're travelling pretty well.

I'm quite happy.

That is all.
Well said.

I especially agree with this particular bolded part. I've heard so many Saints fans claim that we've gone backwards this year under Lyon. Last year we didn't make the 8, this year we have. Seems like a step forward to me.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

"quite happy"

boy

we have won 7 from 9

we are playing finals

lots of ?mark players are playing well and yes even the umpires looked after us a bit ('bout time)

what would make you very happy?

seriously, people are still after the 4 quarter effort, well they don't happen

however yesterday in reality we played well (very) for 3.5 quarters.

if you watch the replay , crows jump us (that is bad) but after about 10-15 minutes we lock them down and we are playing the better football , although not scoring for the second half of the 1st quarter

fqf

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:"quite happy"

boy

we have won 7 from 9

we are playing finals

lots of ?mark players are playing well and yes even the umpires looked after us a bit ('bout time)

if you watch the replay , crows jump us (that is bad) but after about 10-15 minutes we lock them down and we are playing the better football , although not scoring for the second half of the 1st quarter

fqf
The reason I'm 'quite happy' and not 'ecstatic' is that we're currently 7th, and there's 1 week to go in the H&A season.

I haven't bought the bullshiit that we're an ordinary list etc. etc. We're a very good side with good players at their peak.

We should be contesting finals seriously, and be in the top 4 contenders comfortably.

Right now we're not. We're winning and we're playing finals, so I'm pleased. Until we're a legitimate contender again, I won't be ecstatic.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:

boy

we have won 7 from 9

we are playing finals

fqf
The reason I'm 'quite happy' and not 'ecstatic' is that we're currently 7th, and there's 1 week to go in the H&A season.

I haven't bought the bullshiit that we're an ordinary list etc. etc. We're a very good side with good players at their peak.

We should be contesting finals seriously, and be in the top 4 contenders comfortably.

Right now we're not. We're winning and we're playing finals, so I'm pleased. Until we're a legitimate contender again, I won't be ecstatic.
In other words... you're taking it 1 week at a time and trying to keep a lid on it? :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

boy

we have won 7 from 9

we are playing finals

fqf

In other words... you're taking it 1 week at a time and trying to keep a lid on it? :lol:
Pretty much.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Sam Fisher IS a very, very, very good footballer. Cant argue that eh.

Was also impressed with our backline as a whole. Some of our spoiling has been absolutely brilliant. Backmen are right up against it with the way the rules are these days. I've noticed that our guys are generally going one on one with their opponents and playing the ball. They are making some extremely difficult spoils. Kudos to Silvagni & Max I guess...Maxxie has always been a natural at this.

We won a game that we should have won against some reasonable opposition.

We held them to six goals. Thats a team in fifth position on the ladder...

Our footskills can let us down.

one week at a time is really what it comes down to at this stage.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Umm..Goddard was also clearly BOG for mine

30 possesions at 90% efficiency, 13 marks, 7 clearances and kicked 2 goals

Ill take the 2 frees against every week for that return ta very much :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bergsone
SS Life Member

[

In other words... you're taking it 1 week at a time and trying to keep a lid on it? :lol:[/quote]Only way to go

spiral2
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
Umm..Goddard was also clearly BOG for mine

30 possesions at 90% efficiency, 13 marks, 7 clearances and kicked 2 goals

Ill take the 2 frees against every week for that return ta very much :-)
have to agree, played a blinder from where I was sitting
took some very timely marks and kicked that great goal

when I was at the ground I thought Gilbo had a bit of a shocker, esp in the first quarter, a couple of terrible mistakes
watching some of the replay though he looked heaps better.
amazing how differently you can see the game

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We not only won...but thrashed a fellow finalist who we may well play again in the first round of the finals.

The high possession Gameplan. much criticised by many, was work nicely (yes that's right the coach got it right).

The Crows HB run which in previous seasons often cut us to ribbons was shut down.

Team balance and structure was working nicely.

*The imports where all in roles in the main the the team had been lacking in (with Dempster being the exception as we previously had HB's)

*King is playing very good football and given the teams that are in the finals this year will ensure that we are more than compertitive in the ruck. Cox is a ruckmen thatcan exploit Kingy, but WC are not part of the finals.

*Charlie may not necessarily make the finals team.. But he is a "useful" option up forward to take some load off Roo. Gwilt's remergence (along with raph) may sqeeze him out.

*Schneider and Milne are teaming together beautifully in the forward line addinga new dimension to our forward line.

* Dempster is playing well as a running HB witha boooming kick who with greater foitness in the second half of the year has delivered good form. Defensively he can shut down opponents.

* Birss came in to play a more than useful role. He may just retain it now in preference to McQualter of Eddie.

* M Gardiner has unfortunately become injured again. However with King standing up this is not realya problem as we have the No 1 ruck slot covered.

* With Gram, BJ and Sam now running through the midfield our midield has the greater depth and quality it needs to be competitive.

*Raphs' good form the last two weeks is very pleasing and it in part allows Sam. Gram and BJ to spend more time in the midfield.

* Gwilt has also stepped upa cog, and his bustling bodywork has addeda dimension that our team has been lacking and in particular up forward.

*Roo is flying. That is a HUGE plus.

*Eddie played another game which indicated that even if he misses our finals this year that he will play many senior games for the saints yet.

The only real concerns for me:
* is that our footskills remain poor. However with lifted confidence were not as bad as in previous games. Even Lenny slotted a goal on the run!!

*that Kosi is still below good average form. Howerver with Milne and Schneider both on song Kois is still competing and bring the ball to the ground.

With Ball and X waiting in the wings there is a lot of healthy pressure for all to perform.

Ball will not play this week, but X you would think would be likely to get a run. how X goes may well determine whether he gets a finals match or whether the Saints stick with less gifted players who are better match conditioned.

Add to this McQualter and you havea group of 25 players to choose a Week 1 Finals team from.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:We not only won...but thrashed a fellow finalist who we may well play again in the first round of the finals.

Add to this McQualter and you havea group of 25 players to choose a Week 1 Finals team from.
isn't it nice to have most of our players available for the finals for the first time in years!

The saints are still not palying very well. but they have won 8/10 and hopefully win this week