Stephen Milne has set a standard for himself

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Milne has set a standard for himself

Stephen Milne's last two weeks have been the best of his career in my view, not because of goals kicked but because of his pressure applied. Some may say that with three weeks to go in the season, he was playing for his future. Whatever the reason, I reckon the symbolism of playing with a cracked cheekbone has been important to the group, maybe only a 1% effect, but it all counts.

Legendary
Club Player

He's kicked 47 goals from 20 games.

Second best return from a small forward in the AFL in 2008.

2008 is the best season of Milne's career. Averages for goals, marks, tackles and disposals are as high as they have ever been. He can now contribute to the team without having to kick a bag.

In the top dozen players at the club.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

It appeared the crowd showed a new respect for Milne yesterday. Everytime he went near the ball, the seemed to be louder cheers than there may have been in the past.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont think its been just the last two weeks milney has been great all year for us he had his down point and he got dropped for it and he seems to have come back with a whole new lease for the game hes laying decent tackles and his forward pressure has been one of the best in the team... maybe milney took a leaf out of Minis book when he said he was kidding himself he was working had in the past ,cause milneys work rate has lifted no end

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
HarveysDeciple

Legendary wrote:He's kicked 47 goals from 20 games.

2008 is the best season of Milne's career. Averages for goals, marks, tackles and disposals are as high as they have ever been. He can now contribute to the team without having to kick a bag.

Exactly. Milney has been woderful, and his last 2 weeks have been one of the most couragous efforts you could ever see from a player. Unbelievable to play with the injury he had and then time and again put his body on the line.

On top of that he has kicked goals in every game except one this year and will pass 50 goals in a season for the third time in his career.

and some nuffies think we should trade him......incredible.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:It appeared the crowd showed a new respect for Milne yesterday. Everytime he went near the ball, the seemed to be louder cheers than there may have been in the past.
yep

nothing like a little bit of courage in the face of a serious injury to get the crowd behind you

buzzed around. Is the most dangerous when he is on the move

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
yipper
SS Life Member

Reckon Milne will get his highest ever finish in the B&F this year!! Also, at least twice yesterday he kept going into oncoming packs withouit flinching - and when you have cracked cheekbones (both sides) - well that takes courage!! He has gone up another level in 2008, he needed to I s'pose - but he has and that will earn him the respect of his teammates and coaches.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Oh no, but let's trade him! :roll: :roll:

I hope all the nonsense, knee-jerk reaction by some on here now ceases because not only is it completely embarrassing to listen to, it’s now also been proven beyond doubt as totally irrational!

Milne has given this club plenty this season. The day we try and squash the spark out of his game is the day I hope he decides to pull the pin and move onto a club who appreciates his natural talents! The whizzbanger rates very, VERY HIGHLY as one of my favourite players!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:in the face of a serious injury
no pun intended im sure!

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

IMO what's made a big difference for Milne is the freedom he's been given to roam around the ground and get into the play. He's been bobbing up picking up touches everywhere from the backline through to up forward.

Considering a lot of people said he was one dimentional and could only play around the f.pocket and didn't have the tank , tackling ability etc i think he's done great.

To me he seems to be able to read the play and find the ball chasing it around the ground well.

starsign
Club Player

IMO what's made a big difference for Milne is the freedom he's been given to roam around the ground and get into the play. He's been bobbing up picking up touches everywhere from the backline through to up forward.

Considering a lot of people said he was one dimentional and could only play around the f.pocket and didn't have the tank , tackling ability etc i think he's done great.

To me he seems to be able to read the play and find the ball chasing it around the ground well.

you just stole my thunder Winmar7

Thats the thing that has been pleasing me about his form this year
He's always going to have that irreplaceable, uncanny knack of kicking magic goals , but is fast becoming more than just this one trick pony

(I just new he'd bust a gut to play on Sunday ......and tipped him to play Tuesday )

nathan000
Club Player

i asked for his head 3 weeks ago but he has been great the last two weeks and has been a major part of us making the finals.

bethb7
Club Player

he's been very very good I just wanted them to KICK IT TO MILNEY! yesterday :)

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
sax
Club Player

Legendary wrote:He's kicked 47 goals from 20 games.

3rd best! Motlop 52, Medhurst 48 :)

my les foote
Club Player

Motlop is 185cm. Not a small forward.

Medhurst 179cm
Milne 178cm

Small forward should be anyone 5 foot 10 or below which conveniently makes Milne the best small forward in the AFL.

Win it for HIM!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:Motlop is 185cm. Not a small forward.

Medhurst 179cm
Milne 178cm

Small forward should be anyone 5 foot 10 or below which conveniently makes Milne the best small forward in the AFL.
The AFL definition of a small forward is 180.5cm or anyone smaller than Adrian Anderson.

To the top
SS Life Member

I was pleased to see Milne get the legs pumping and actually lead - the trouble from there was his kicking at goal from his set shots because he tried to kick around corners - as is his bent (sorry about that!), or "check side".

Had one tackle "run thru", but apart from that there has been a marked improvement in his defensive pressure and his defensive positioning.

Has done away with standing behind his opponent with his hand in the air looking for the "over the back" cheap possession which was one of my real areas of concern about him.

Forwards have to work and work and then work again, not loaf around, static with their hand in the air.

A marked improvement which will hopefully be fully maintained, because he and we need it.

The presence of Schnieder along with Gwilt and R. Clarke drifting forward has assisted Milne's game because they all bring options, mobility and defensive aspects to the forward line - and create the confusion you like to see your forwards creating for the opposition.

And we saw that when St Kilda wanted to go defensive, Roo was able to amble down to full back knowing we still had mobility up forward.

Now to get Kosi mobile again - and out of the ruck. The effort is there, but the legs still appear sometimes missing in action - and perhaps his knee.

Mind you Harvey did him no favours with one pass across the defensive goal - which thankfully only conceded a point.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Does this mean he's made it after 161 Games and 8 years?
he finally gets an article written about him that doesn't have a negative overtone.
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/m ... 70557.html
There are defining moments in careers. This is the one for Milne. He knows now he can overcome adversity to deliver against the odds. What he did will be remembered, respected, admired and spoken of around the club for years to come. He has set a standard for others to follow. Well done Milney, your courage and selflessness to your club and teammates will be one of my memories of 2008.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 32,00.html
Little mate Adam Scheider saves Stephen Milne's career
Courtney Walsh | August 26, 2008
A BLOSSOMING partnership with former Swan Adam Schneider has shored up Stephen Milne's prospects at St Kilda while propelling the Saints' September surge.

In a year where a wealth of small forwards is firing, there has been no hotter duo than Milne and Schneider over the past three weeks.

Schneider, a 2005 premiership player during Ross Lyon's time as an assistant at Sydney, is beginning to repay the faith shown by St Kilda at the trading table last October.

The pair have combined for 16 goals over the past three weeks - Milne seven and Schneider nine - a far more consistent output than earlier in the season when both were struggling.

It also compares more than favourably with the small forward combinations of other finals rivals over the past month.

Lyon said the realisation the pair were starting to combine effectively was one reason why it was critical that Milne, who underwent surgery last Thursday on the cheekbone fractured against Fremantle in round 20, played against Adelaide Crows on Sunday.

"We just feel as a combination that Schneider and Milne are quite effective," Lyon said.

"Where do you find a Stephen Milne? It was a relief not to make that change."

Milne, who is out of contract at season's end, appeared in danger of exiting St Kilda when dropped to the VFL along with midfielder Nick Dal Santo in round 13.

But he has kicked 20 goals in eight matches since and against Adelaide showed little of the selfishness that has at times been a characteristic.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107