Poor crowd today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Poor crowd today

Considering all the PR and effort our club put in today (credit to the club!), I thought 33K was a poor turnout.

It really deserved 3 to 5 thousand more than that IMO, given how big the game was, two top 8 teams, Harvs, our last home match of the year yadda yadda.....I blame our lack of bandwagon supporters.

BUT....perhaps without the club PR/Harvs spin, there would've only been 28K, given how low some of our recent home gates have been, in which case the club has done well.

No doubt, come finals time, if we play a Melbourne based final all those Saints "supporters" will suddenly appear from behind the trees!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Sunday game v Interstate team. 33,000 ain't a bad crowd in those circumstances !!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Poor crowd today

saintspremiers wrote:Considering all the PR and effort our club put in today (credit to the club!), I thought 33K was a poor turnout.

It really deserved 3 to 5 thousand more than that IMO, given how big the game was, two top 8 teams, Harvs, our last home match of the year yadda yadda.....I blame our lack of bandwagon supporters.

BUT....perhaps without the club PR/Harvs spin, there would've only been 28K, given how low some of our recent home gates have been, in which case the club has done well.

No doubt, come finals time, if we play a Melbourne based final all those Saints "supporters" will suddenly appear from behind the trees!
We had 5 of our 8 reserved seats missing today because of 'footy finals' being played.
Sunday afternoon games are a real problem with anybody who has kids playing junior footy.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Agreed SP..expected high 30's..especially with so many people arriving early it seemed.

Funnily enough talking to some neutral friends after the game, they said they wouldnt have really known the tribute game was happening if it hadnt have been for me carrying on about it all week :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Poor crowd today

Mr Magic wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Considering all the PR and effort our club put in today (credit to the club!), I thought 33K was a poor turnout.

We had 5 of our 8 reserved seats missing today because of 'footy finals' being played.
Sunday afternoon games are a real problem with anybody who has kids playing junior footy.
Damm those Junior footy finals, and junior footy in general.....how can the two not clash (ie. AFL and Junior footy??).

Perhaps the answer is to move the start time of the 2.10pm game to 3.10pm on Sundays, afterall the twilight zone timeslot (4.40pm) is a winner and draws big crowds and good TV ratings!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

if it had have been the last home game V essendon, even though they are out of the finals I would be pretty sure it would have been a sell out...

last game pity it was against an interstate side imo

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Honestly,wasn't much hyped up about the day if you weren't a saintsationalite. I said in the predictions thread 33k,and 33 it was. It was a good turnout,35000 is about as good as our army is good for,always has been

Bring back the Lockett era
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Poor effort I would have thought, although those of us who bothered to turn up more than made up for it. The roar when Banger kicked his goal was enormous, just a shame his other one was disallowed!

mick13
Club Player

Ehh, I guess when about 3k were Crows, thats a decent 30k turnout from us, as opposed to less than 20k against Port and Freo. And considering we played Freo on a Friday night and this was Sunday arvo...

But yeah, a few more would have been nice.

s*** that was a quick merge by the mods...

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

mick13 wrote:Ehh, I guess when about 3k were Crows, thats a decent 30k turnout from us, as opposed to less than 20k against Port and Freo. And considering we played Freo on a Friday night and this was Sunday arvo...

But yeah, a few more would have been nice.

s*** that was a quick merge by the mods...
I started a new post then saw this one so I deleted it :wink:

lendog heaven
Club Player

marketing staff missed their best opportunity by not getting a mention of the game on the footy show - they should also have rung all the footy talk back shows - SEN /AW always oblige - I reckon it was pretty p*ss poor promotion all round - desperates like us know what's going on coz we crave any saint news but the band wagon lot need to be informed in far more conspicuous ways.

But all said and done it was a great day for those of us who bothered to turn up and having the great man interviewed by Beva in a packed Victory Room post match topped it off nicely.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Some of the reason for the smallish crowd may have had to do with scheduling.
My brother in Wangaratta couldn't be there because he had commitments to junior footy finals.
That (junior footy) probably affected alot of supporters.
Had it been a Saturday night game there may have been a bigger crowd.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)