Harvey Question

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

El Wood
Club Player

Harvey Question

The Age said today Harvey has played with 220 players. Is this a record? Is it more than any other player? My guess is that Bartlett, Tuck and Madden would have played with more settled lineups.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It would be close but I wouldn't have thought it would be the record, can anyone look this up?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

One thing is for sure... he's played with the most number of coaches :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I make it 7 coaches.

Doc
Sheldon
Alves
Watson
Blight
Thomas
Lyon

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:I make it 7 coaches.

Doc
Sheldon
Alves
Watson
Blight
Thomas
Lyon
I only see 6 coaches in that line up :wink:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Harvey Question

El Wood wrote:The Age said today Harvey has played with 220 players. Is this a record? Is it more than any other player? My guess is that Bartlett, Tuck and Madden would have played with more settled lineups.
El Wood,
I think you'll find that Bartlett, Tuck and Madden (to a lesser extent) played in eras when there were only 20 players per team (18 +2 reserves/interchange) whilst Harves played the majority of his career with 22 per side (18 + 4 interchange) so it is likely that he would have had more team-mates.

ALso, for quite a large portion of Harve's career he played in teams that were not very good so that nearly the entire list each year would ahve got a game.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:One thing is for sure... he's played with the most number of coaches :lol:
Very dangerous thing to say about the Saints! Two years for a coach was long for most.

Colin Watson (Brownlow 1925) played 93 games in two periods 1920-1925 and 1933-1935. During that time, the Saints had NINE coaches, including himself.

1920 George Sparrow & Charlie Ricketts
1921 Charlie Ricketts
1922 Dave McNamara
1923 Dave McNamara
1924 Percy Wilson & Wels Eike
1925 Norman Clarke
1933 Colin Deane
1934 Colin Watson
1935 Dan Minogue

After winning the Medal, Watson was offered 12 pounds a game (heaps in those days) to play for Stawell. The end result was the whole Ballarat league was suspended with Watson forced to stand out of football for three years.

Had he played continuously for the Saints, he would have seen off another four coaches!

All this stuff (and more) can be found in The Point Of It All by Jules Feldmann and Russell Holmesby.
Last edited by perfectionist on Tue 19 Aug 2008 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Doc
Sheldon
Alves
Watson
Blight

Thomas
Lyon
I only see 5 :P

El Wood
Club Player

So it's probably true to say that Harvey has played WITH more players than any other player in history and played AGAINST more players than anyone else. Just need the stats to back it up.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

El Wood wrote:So it's probably true to say that Harvey has played WITH more players than any other player in history and played AGAINST more players than anyone else. Just need the stats to back it up.
Certainly has to be against the most opposition players as Tuck and Bartlett only played in VFL - against 11 other teams - I'm not sure about Madden.

But Harves has played against the current 15 other AFL clubs plus Fitrzroy.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

El Wood wrote:So it's probably true to say that Harvey has played WITH more players than any other player in history and played AGAINST more players than anyone else. Just need the stats to back it up.
Reckon Dave McNamara would have played with and against a few. Remember, in those days, 40-50 players could play each year and most would only play a couple of years. Throw in the war period and it could be heaps. I'm not about to count them, even if it was possible. Maybe Col Hutchinson at the AFL has had the computer out.

mcadam05
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
El Wood wrote:
ALso, for quite a large portion of Harve's career he played in teams that were not very good so that nearly the entire list each year would ahve got a game.
I disagree with that from 89 till now Stkilda has only had 6 really bad yrs

surly a team that wins 50% of there games in a season cant be called a bad team

Griggsy
SS Life Member

issuing a challenge to Harves to name them all!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:issuing a challenge to Harves to name them all!
They'd all be Rodney to the Doc!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Pwoit wrote:

Doc
Sheldon
Alves
Watson
Blight

Thomas
Lyon
I only see 5 :P
Pretty stiff....the man has 2 premiership medalions, and three years runners up. Couldn't coach us, but that doesn't mean he couldn't coach at all.

mcadam05
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
I have Robert's player badge from 89 and on it he is named "Rod Harvey" so the Doc wasnt the only one who didnt know his name

Snakeman66
Club Player

El Wood wrote:The Age said today Harvey has played with 220 players. Is this a record? Is it more than any other player? My guess is that Bartlett, Tuck and Madden would have played with more settled lineups.
Here they are.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=45517
Snakeman66 wrote:C.Ackland, I.Aitken, J.Allen, T.Allen, D.Anderson, T.Antrobus, M.Arceri, D.Armitage, J.Arnol, B.Atkinson, J.Attard, D.Bailey, S.Baker, L.Ball, K.Bardsley, T.Barker, C.Beetham, J.Begley, L.Beveridge, L.Bingham, S.Birss, H.Black, J.Blake, D.Bourke, B.Bowey, B.Brooks, T.Brown, N.Burke, A.Burns, G.Burns, C.Callaghan, B.Campbell, F.Campbell, L.Capsalis, M.Capuano, A.Carr, M.Carr, S.Charles, S.Clark, M.Clarke, R.Clarke, X.Clarke, F.Coghlan, G.Coghlan, B.Cook, S.Cranage, D.Craven, J.Cripps, S.Cummings, G.Cunningham, N.Dal Santo, J.Daniels, A.Darcy, I.Dargie, D.Davies, C.Davis, T.Delaney, S.Dempster, C.Devonport, A.DiPetta, L.Donald, G.Doyle, M.Dwyer, R.Eddy, J.Elliott, T.Elliott, R.Elphinstone, P.Everitt, M.Ferguson, A.Fiora, L.Fisher, S.Fisher, D.Flanigan, A.Fletcher, G.Fode, M.Ford, S.Foschini, T.Francis, D.Frawley, P.Freeman, M.Frost, M.Gale, C.Gardiner, M.Gardiner, J.Geary, F.Gehrig, J.Georgiou, S.Gilbert, B.Goddard, B.Gotch, J.Gowans, J.Gram, D.Grant, T.Gray, W.Green, D.Greig, B.Guerra, J.Gwilt, B.Hall, A.Hamill, R.Handley, N.Hanson, P.Harding, B.Harris, A.Harvey, L.Hayes, D.Healy, J.Heatley, C.Hemley, M.Heppell, J.Hilton, C.Hollow, B.Howard, M.Hudghton, B.Ingleton, M.Jackson, R.Jeffrey, A.Jones, B.Jones, C.Jones, G.Jones, S.Jones, W.Jones, M.Kennedy, R.Keogh, D.Kickett, S.King, D.Kitschke, T.Knobel, B.Knowles, J.Koschitzke, S.Kourkoumelis, J.Krakouer, J.Lamb, M.Lappin, S.Lawrence, G.Lawrie, C.Lister, T.Lockett, S.Loewe, G.MacMillan, M.Maguire, G.McAdam, P.McConville, B.McEvoy, M.McGough, J.McLaren, A.McLean, D.McNicholl, A.McQualter, S.Milne, G.Mitchell, D.Monkhorst, L.Montagna, R.Morris, B.Moyle, I.Muller, A.Murray, R.Neill, S.Newport, R.Nixon, G.Nugent, C.O'Brien, C.Oliver, R.Owen, J.Peckett, T.Pekin, L.Penny, J.Peter-Budge, J.Plapp, R.Powell, S.Powell, S.Ralphsmith, D.Rice, N.Riewoldt, M.Rix, P.Russo, D.Ryan, A.Schneider, T.Schwarze, J.Shanahan, C.Shaw, D.Shaw, K.Sheldon, D.Sierakowski, S.Simpson, J.Smith, R.Smith, N.Stone, D.Strooper, J.Sweeney, S.Sziller, K.Taylor, A.Thompson, B.Thompson, W.Thornborrow, J.Traianidis, S.Turner, L.Vidovic, B.Voss, D.Wakelin, S.Wakelin, B.Walton, F.Watts, B.Wilson, N.Winmar, B.Winton, C.Wittman, D.Wulf, M.Young

Total 210

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
esaint66
SS Life Member

mcadam05 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
I have Robert's player badge from 89 and on it he is named "Rod Harvey" so the Doc wasnt the only one who didnt know his name

Jeez that'd be worth a bit.

Can you post a picture of it at all ???

Superboot
SS Life Member

Snakeman66 wrote:
Here they are.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=45517
Snakeman66 wrote:C.Ackland, I.Aitken, J.Allen, T.Allen, D.Anderson, T.Antrobus, M.Arceri, D.Armitage, J.Arnol, B.Atkinson, J.Attard, D.Bailey, S.Baker, L.Ball, K.Bardsley, T.Barker, C.Beetham, J.Begley, L.Beveridge, L.Bingham, S.Birss, H.Black, J.Blake, D.Bourke, B.Bowey, B.Brooks, T.Brown, N.Burke, A.Burns, G.Burns, C.Callaghan, B.Campbell, F.Campbell, L.Capsalis, M.Capuano, A.Carr, M.Carr, S.Charles, S.Clark, M.Clarke, R.Clarke, X.Clarke, F.Coghlan, G.Coghlan, B.Cook, S.Cranage, D.Craven, J.Cripps, S.Cummings, G.Cunningham, N.Dal Santo, J.Daniels, A.Darcy, I.Dargie, D.Davies, C.Davis, T.Delaney, S.Dempster, C.Devonport, A.DiPetta, L.Donald, G.Doyle, M.Dwyer, R.Eddy, J.Elliott, T.Elliott, R.Elphinstone, P.Everitt, M.Ferguson, A.Fiora, L.Fisher, S.Fisher, D.Flanigan, A.Fletcher, G.Fode, M.Ford, S.Foschini, T.Francis, D.Frawley, P.Freeman, M.Frost, M.Gale, C.Gardiner, M.Gardiner, J.Geary, F.Gehrig, J.Georgiou, S.Gilbert, B.Goddard, B.Gotch, J.Gowans, J.Gram, D.Grant, T.Gray, W.Green, D.Greig, B.Guerra, J.Gwilt, B.Hall, A.Hamill, R.Handley, N.Hanson, P.Harding, B.Harris, A.Harvey, L.Hayes, D.Healy, J.Heatley, C.Hemley, M.Heppell, J.Hilton, C.Hollow, B.Howard, M.Hudghton, B.Ingleton, M.Jackson, R.Jeffrey, A.Jones, B.Jones, C.Jones, G.Jones, S.Jones, W.Jones, M.Kennedy, R.Keogh, D.Kickett, S.King, D.Kitschke, T.Knobel, B.Knowles, J.Koschitzke, S.Kourkoumelis, J.Krakouer, J.Lamb, M.Lappin, S.Lawrence, G.Lawrie, C.Lister, T.Lockett, S.Loewe, G.MacMillan, M.Maguire, G.McAdam, P.McConville, B.McEvoy, M.McGough, J.McLaren, A.McLean, D.McNicholl, A.McQualter, S.Milne, G.Mitchell, D.Monkhorst, L.Montagna, R.Morris, B.Moyle, I.Muller, A.Murray, R.Neill, S.Newport, R.Nixon, G.Nugent, C.O'Brien, C.Oliver, R.Owen, J.Peckett, T.Pekin, L.Penny, J.Peter-Budge, J.Plapp, R.Powell, S.Powell, S.Ralphsmith, D.Rice, N.Riewoldt, M.Rix, P.Russo, D.Ryan, A.Schneider, T.Schwarze, J.Shanahan, C.Shaw, D.Shaw, K.Sheldon, D.Sierakowski, S.Simpson, J.Smith, R.Smith, N.Stone, D.Strooper, J.Sweeney, S.Sziller, K.Taylor, A.Thompson, B.Thompson, W.Thornborrow, J.Traianidis, S.Turner, L.Vidovic, B.Voss, D.Wakelin, S.Wakelin, B.Walton, F.Watts, B.Wilson, N.Winmar, B.Winton, C.Wittman, D.Wulf, M.Young

Total 210
Well if not all of the 7 coaches were coaches, then not all these players were players. I'm not about to start naming names, but I guess we all could.

Unless, of course, you take the view as I do that anyone who wore the colours deserves to be on the list.