Get mark williams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Get mark williams

article in the age today about how port always wait untill the end of his contract to negoiate. He has had offers from melbourne clubs but the timing was bad. hinted that if the timing was right he would walk.....

I say we make a play for him come may june next year....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Agree.

Along with Dean Laidley and Roos, is probably the best of the modern day coaches. I can't stand him now cause he's from Port, but would love to see him in a saints shirt.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Williams would be interesting.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Why dont we try getting John Madden while we are at it, sure he knows bugger all about AFL but we have as much chance getting him as coachas we do at getting Laidly or Williams

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:Why dont we try getting John Madden while we are at it, sure he knows bugger all about AFL but we have as much chance getting him as coachas we do at getting Laidly or Williams

BANG BANG
what a wonderful suggestion.... :roll:

I do sometimes wonder why I bother around here

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Marcus
Club Player

I'd love to have Williams at Moorabbin, he has a fantastic record with Port. since joining the AFL in 97 they have played in the finals 7 times plus 2 GFs and a premiership, pretty impressive. I think the StKFC board would be remiss if they did not approach him once they have come to the realisation that we will not achieve success with RL.

But why would anyone in their right mind want to coach us, given our past history. Williams would look at what happened since he started coaching with St Kilda turning over 4 coaches (SA, TW, MB and GT) and think that club is just way tooo unstable and instead go to the Pies when cranky retires

Then again hopefully he may see us as a real challenge and after all he would be exalted far and wide if he could achieve the ultimate success at one of the AFL's most tragic clubs. But I think at the end of the day we will be stuck with recruiting untried coachs or ex players.

However I still have high hopes for Banger as a long term, successfull coach, if and when he decides to go down that path.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

St Marcus wrote:I'd love to have Williams at Moorabbin, he has a fantastic record with Port. since joining the AFL in 97 they have played in the finals 7 times plus 2 GFs and a premiership, pretty impressive. I think the StKFC board would be remiss if they did not approach him once they have come to the realisation that we will not achieve success with RL.

But why would anyone in their right mind want to coach us, given our past history. Williams would look at what happened since he started coaching with St Kilda turning over 4 coaches (SA, TW, MB and GT) and think that club is just way tooo unstable and instead go to the Pies when cranky retires

Then again hopefully he may see us as a real challenge and after all he would be exalted far and wide if he could achieve the ultimate success at one of the AFL's most tragic clubs. But I think at the end of the day we will be stuck with recruiting untried coachs or ex players.

However I still have high hopes for Banger as a long term, successfull coach, if and when he decides to go down that path.
When he mentions Melbourne, I'm sure he's got the Pies in mind, not us. He's look at St Kilda and think of ulcers, hair falling out and his great record ruined. Agreed, he's an awesome coach...he'd also clear out our list within a week.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
Hurricane wrote:Why dont we try getting John Madden while we are at it, sure he knows bugger all about AFL but we have as much chance getting him as coachas we do at getting Laidly or Williams

BANG BANG
what a wonderful suggestion.... :roll:

I do sometimes wonder why I bother around here
All im saying is the grass is not always greener on the other side. What would the point of getting Mark Williams or Dean Laidley be? Another 2-3 years of a coach who will change the side and gameplan to suit himslef and his style which basically means more "transition" (ie losing).

Plus I think North and Port would both not want to let them go

BANG BANG
Last edited by Hurricane on Fri 15 Aug 2008 3:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

:roll:

Our club should be bending over backwards to get Mark Williams on board.

Great suggestion, solar.

Great track record with kids, just loves footy and has a passion for the game - not just for Port Adelaide (his playing career proves this).

Is really keen to get himself back to Melbourne (that is just about fact I've heard it so many times) but the rumour is he's keen on becoming Malthouse's succesor.

I strongly suggest Westaway make a play for this bloke and give him whatever tools he needs to win.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

But Williams is not a Saints man. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why would he have passion for the Saints?

(sarcasm intended).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I just dont get why we have to change coaches every 5 minutes :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BANG BANG

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:I just dont get why we have to change coaches every 5 minutes :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BANG BANG
tradition - thats why :wink: :wink: :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:I just dont get why we have to change coaches every 5 minutes
We've had two coaches since Round 16, 2001.

Yep, we're changing every five minutes. Two in seven years.

Fair dinkum, are we dealing with the full deck of cards here?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Hurricane wrote:I just dont get why we have to change coaches every 5 minutes :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BANG BANG
tradition - thats why :wink: :wink: :wink:
thanks for clearing that up mate :lol: :lol:

BANG BANG

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Hurricane wrote:I just dont get why we have to change coaches every 5 minutes
We've had two coaches since Round 16, 2001.

Yep, we're changing every five minutes. Two in seven years.

Fair dinkum, are we dealing with the full deck of cards here?
Baldock, Sheldon (sacked), Stan(sacked), Timmy(would have been sacked), Blight(sacked), GT(sacked), Lyon - if the usual suspect had their way - sacked..

7 in 16 years. No we dont change coaches much. We dopnt sack them either.

oh since 2000 we have had 4 coaches. Since round 15 2001 we have had 3 coaches.

Weasel words and gilding the lily doesn't hide our hideous record of destabilisation and ineptitude toward keeping coaches.

Lance or James??

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:our hideous record of destabilisation and ineptitude toward keeping coaches.
I think having a good coach is a pre-cursor to stability, not the other way around.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
joffaboy wrote:our hideous record of destabilisation and ineptitude toward keeping coaches.
I think having a good coach is a pre-cursor to stability, not the other way around.
IMHO Sheldon and Alves were very good coaches and Jeans is one of teh greatest of all time still all failed to last

BANG BANG

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Without getting the administration correct, you cannot have stability.If the Board are not all working to the same plan then how can any employee (coach, player, admin staff, boot-studder etc) work to their optimum?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Without getting the administration correct, you cannot have stability.If the Board are not all working to the same plan then how can any employee (coach, player, admin staff, boot-studder etc) work to their optimum?
Agree. It's the frickin admin that keeps sacking them :twisted:

Post Jeans (1974)...

Jezza
Jewell
Northey?
Gellie
Smith?
Patterson
BAldock
Sheldon
Alves
Anyone else I've forgotton?

Ho hum ho hum :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Just found this on google:

After that brief period of success the Saints wallowed for the next 20 years and during that time used six coaches, sacking five of them.

Ken Sheldon took over the club and with champion full-forward Tony Lockett on fire the Saints made a brief finals appearance in 1992, but a year later Sheldon was replaced by Stan Alves.

From 1993 to 1996 the Saints struggled under Alves and his tenure looked shaky after the club's poor performances early in 1997, but the players rallied and they made it into the Grand Final only to be outplayed by Adelaide.

The Saints went backwards in 1998, finishing also rans after an inexplicable loss of form in the second half of the season. Coach Stan Alves was held responsible for the downturn,

and was replaced by former Essendon champion Tim Watson at the end of the season.

... and the beat goes on, the beat goes on...

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Mr Magic, that should be a given with regards to off-field stability. I'm talking about issues of the coach and his players.

A good coach breeds stability in his ranks while continually managing to inspire, organise and motivate. That is his job.

Right now, we have off-field stability, so we should be looking for a coach who can, inspire, organise, motivate and offer stability to the playing group.

We could stick with Lyon for 50 years, but I'm not sure that would be a good decision if it didn't yield a premiership.
Last edited by evertonfc on Fri 15 Aug 2008 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Just found this on google:

After that brief period of success the Saints wallowed for the next 20 years and during that time used six coaches, sacking five of them.

Ken Sheldon took over the club and with champion full-forward Tony Lockett on fire the Saints made a brief finals appearance in 1992, but a year later Sheldon was replaced by Stan Alves.

From 1993 to 1996 the Saints struggled under Alves and his tenure looked shaky after the club's poor performances early in 1997, but the players rallied and they made it into the Grand Final only to be outplayed by Adelaide.

The Saints went backwards in 1998, finishing also rans after an inexplicable loss of form in the second half of the season. Coach Stan Alves was held responsible for the downturn,

and was replaced by former Essendon champion Tim Watson at the end of the season.

... and the beat goes on, the beat goes on...
Was it Baldock that quit due to bad health? Tony Jewell had a heart-attack didn't he? Considering his team at the time, I wouldn't be surprised!

Lucky we held on to Stan for the first 3 years, otherwise there would have been no '97 GF at all! Unbelievable that we got rid of him so quickly.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Poor old Stan got a big knife in the back - I think it's called the tail wagging the dog..some players didn't like being told a few home truths and got all sooky.. so the story goes.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Poor old Stan got a big knife in the back - I think it's called the tail wagging the dog..some players didn't like being told a few home truths and got all sooky.. so the story goes.
Deja vu again. Problem was that back then, the board were scared to let go of players. So off with the coach instead.

That's why you need full support to do whatever it takes without the fear of getting sacked.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Poor old Stan got a big knife in the back - I think it's called the tail wagging the dog..some players didn't like being told a few home truths and got all sooky.. so the story goes.
Yup Stan got knifed. Plimpton also wanted him out. Good coach was Stan.

GT got knifed. Butterss wanted him out. Good coach GT.

and the beat goes on........

Lance or James??