Who should the #35 be handed onto ....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LennyBoy
Club Player

Who should the #35 be handed onto ....

Very interesting topic of discussion for mine.

Should we retire the number, do we have a kid deserving of wearing it in 2009?

Thoughts ...

Attitude right, I would consider Armo some of an outside chance.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Deserves retirement until we find someone truly worthy of it. Although I'm sure Harves, being the modest, humble champ he is, wouldn't want any significance at all to be attached to the number...

The Saints are coming!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Retire it for at least 09..

None of our kids are even close to deserving it..and cuite frankly cdould do without the hype that would go with it

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
older saint
SS Life Member

Lets start a traditional of retiring the jumper for 1 year for each 10 played ( generally will be 1 season) if felt worthy by the club.

It gives time to assess who deserves it or alternatively lets someone start a fresh 2 years later.

There will never be someone worthy of wearing the number 35.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Didn't we go through this last week?

Keep playing it...it's a bloody number on a jumper ffs. It has a good history, maybe some of it's magical powers will rub off on the next recipient.

older saint
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:Didn't we go through this last week?

Keep playing it...it's a bloody number on a jumper ffs. It has a good history, maybe some of it's magical powers will rub off on the next recipient.
Perhaps to many that is the case , but the ability to add more to it exists and as a club they COULD take an opportunity to start somehting to raise the pride in the jumper.

Even soccer whihc turns players over more than any code - Keanne signed with Liverpool and talked of the pride he had having been given the same number as some of the greats of the club. IF soccer can do that why not St Kilda which turn over less players and play a sport with much more loyalty?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:
degruch wrote:Didn't we go through this last week?

Perhaps to many that is the case , but the ability to add more to it exists and as a club they COULD take an opportunity to start somehting to raise the pride in the jumper.

Even soccer whihc turns players over more than any code - Keanne signed with Liverpool and talked of the pride he had having been given the same number as some of the greats of the club. IF soccer can do that why not St Kilda which turn over less players and play a sport with much more loyalty?
Well, if that's what it takes. I would have thought being selected to play in an 'elite' football club, getting paid wads of cash, receiving attention from loads of chicks, whichever one of the former drives these guys, would be enough. I'd be a rare player that looks at the number on their jumper and really cares...the notion is very nice though.

Harvs didn't need to be told to do the right thing by #35 and play with pride for David Grant (as good a player as he was), did he?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Has Kosi lived up to Stewie's number?

Has X lived up to Burkie's number?

For gods sake let the kids make their own history.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Has Kosi lived up to Stewie's number?

Exactly.

There should be pride enough in having a St Kilda jumper on your back, regardless of the number. Let Harvs hand it on, that'd be a nice touch.

GrumpyOne

degruch wrote:

Exactly.

There should be pride enough in having a St Kilda jumper on your back, regardless of the number. Let Harvs hand it on, that'd be a nice touch.
And with our luck, it will be some egotistical nobody who will get it. :x

Best idea was to retire it for ten years.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
degruch wrote:

Exactly.

And with our luck, it will be some egotistical nobody who will get it. :x

Best idea was to retire it for ten years.
Our egotistical nobody's have already got numbers.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Well Harves really made Paul Callery's jumper look good.

Just give it to the next kid in line.

Why put unnecessary pressure and expectation on a kid?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bozza1980
Club Player

Matt Maguire maybe??

Maybe what Collingwood proposed for Millane's jumper a few years ago, our first pick in the draft gets it for a year??

Or you just give it too whoever needs a jumper number next season....

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

It should be retired. But I'm sure Harvey wouldn't want that. Hayes for me.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintm
Club Player

Aaron Hamill was asked this question on MMM on Saturday night and offered a couple of possibilities before settling on Luke Ball.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:Aaron Hamill was asked this question on MMM on Saturday night and offered a couple of possibilities before settling on Luke Ball.
Only problem with that is he'd wear it to bed everynight!

My pick, or more precisely from what I heard from Robert Harvey the other night, would be Nick Riewoldt. Some of our past 12s have been Ross Oakley, Gary Colling and Shane Wakelin. Oakley was not far below Stewart in class and suffered the same cruel blow as so many Saints have over the years - an injury (knee) on the eve of their greatest moment. In Oakley's case, to make matters worse, I don't think that he ever played again

degruch
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
saintm wrote:Aaron Hamill was asked this question on MMM on Saturday night and offered a couple of possibilities before settling on Luke Ball.

My pick, or more precisely from what I heard from Robert Harvey the other night, would be Nick Riewoldt. Some of our past 12s have been Ross Oakley, Gary Colling and Shane Wakelin. Oakley was not far below Stewart in class and suffered the same cruel blow as so many Saints have over the years - an injury (knee) on the eve of their greatest moment. In Oakley's case, to make matters worse, I don't think that he ever played again
So that's why he wanted to get rid of us...he was a bitter and unfullfilled man!?!

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Save it for Conner Harvey.A big deal was made when Burkey & Loewe handed theirs to Kosi & X and they turned out a couple of fizzers. The number 35 has reached iconic status at our club,simular to Barks' number 1. Retire it for now l reckon. BTW How did Steve Newport get number 1?

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

personally i wouldn't let Robert Harvey retire i would make him play another 7 years until Connor is old enough to drafted as a Father son pick then give it to him.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

TriColourDisciple wrote:Save it for Conner Harvey.A big deal was made when Burkey & Loewe handed theirs to Kosi & X and they turned out a couple of fizzers. The number 35 has reached iconic status at our club,simular to Barks' number 1. Retire it for now l reckon. BTW How did Steve Newport get number 1?
Poor kid...are you guys sure he's interested in football and doesn't wanna just collect stamps or something?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

So that's why he wanted to get rid of us...he was a bitter and unfullfilled man!?!
No. We subsequently got rid of him! If you had seen him play for the colours, you would know what I mean.
Last edited by perfectionist on Thu 14 Aug 2008 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
TriColourDisciple wrote:Save it for Conner Harvey.A big deal was made when Burkey & Loewe handed theirs to Kosi & X and they turned out a couple of fizzers. The number 35 has reached iconic status at our club,simular to Barks' number 1. Retire it for now l reckon. BTW How did Steve Newport get number 1?
Poor kid...are you guys sure he's interested in football and doesn't wanna just collect stamps or something?
From what I understand he may have more interest in collecting stamps at the moment than footy.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
degruch wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

No. We subsequently got rid of him!
Yowch! That's gotta hurt.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Seriously doubt Connor will play football at AFL level - he is more basketball orientated - but dont you all think that the kid needs to grow up as his destiny predicts not as we wish he would - even if it is a way of healing the rift Rob is going to leave.

Even if he does play - there will NEVER be a fitness freak or more determined player to play AFL. The attributes of RH are personality not skill - he not only made 110% of his talent - the old war horse got 200% out of what he has. NO-ONE else will ever match that

Quixote
SS Life Member

If anyone gets it (I don't think they will), I reckon it will be Lucky Jack Steven.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo