Chemistry

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

Chemistry

The most important aspect is chemistry. You can have the best players possible, but it doesn’t guarantee wins. Chemistry does that."

Favre pointed to last year’s Super Bowl champion Giants as the ultimate example.

"As the chemistry got better," he said, "they got better."
Even if you've got absolutely no interest in American football you've probably heard reports about this story. If not, it's really not important to my point. However it is worth noting that Favre is a legend in NFL and has proven over 16 years he knows what it takes to win. Worth noting too is that Giants came from nowhere to beat the undefeated 18-0 Patriots in the Superbowl last year.

I found his comments about chemistry interesting because I reckon it is at the heart of our problems. I don't know why and I don't know how, but we had it and we lost it and we seem to be struggling to get it back.

We see a lot of debate here about RL v GT and the changes to the team between then and now, but IMO the biggest change isn't tactics or personnel, it's the lack of chemistry we now have as a team. GT was a fanatic when it came to intangables like team chemistry and was widely criticised for it. RL seems to come from the opposite direction as a coach. I'm not sure which approach is best because I don't believe it is something that can be imposed by a coach - it has to develop from the players.

Now I'm not suggesting sacking a coach was responsible for losing this chemistry or there's something sinister going on within the group, but I've seen enough to know this team isn't playing with the same chemistry it had two seasons ago. It may be coincidental as to the timimg but I reckon we've lacked any sort of team chemistry since Lyon took over as coach.

kaos theory
Club Player

I said this elsewhere: did we over-react and go to the complete opposite of GT, when what we needed is someone in-between GT & RL?

The 'flatness' of the playing group over the last 3 weeks, when we should be building for a finals charge is very concerning... We have enough talent...we showed that against the hawks. Yes, we have neglected the list during the 04 to 07 period, which has brought us back into the pack a bit. But the question needs to be asked:

Does RL have what it takes to get the best out of our playing group?

SaintDippa
Club Player

Never mind the playing group per-se.

Next year when nearly every side will be adopting the 14-15 man rolling zone perfected by Geelong, Hawthorn and Bulldogs, does RL have the brains to implement a strategy to counter it?

Chip-Mark-Wait-Wait-Wait-Chip-Mark-Wait-Wait-Wai .... aint gunna cut it.