Was Harvey pushed into retirement???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Was Harvey pushed into retirement???

One of the media articles states that Lyon and Harvs discussed the big decision last week.

Now, perhaps Lyon suggested to Harvs that he wants to keep injecting youth - primarly because of GC17 and lost drafting opportunities in up and coming years - absolutely no disrespect of course to the great man.

I'm sure Harvs would take this in the right way, and if this is what happend, no doubt Lyon gave Harvs the necessary time and dignity to let it all happen the right way.

I would have loved Harvs to play on next year and hopefully play 400 AFL games, but I fully respect Lyon if he has indeed asked the question to Harvs and prompted the decision.

Whatever happend, I've got 1000% respect for both Harvs and Lyon, well done Saints, it was well managed!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No..I very much doubt he was "pushed".

Banger has been talking with who-ever the coach is about retirement since he was about 30.

As both Coach as Banger said...it' time, much as we do not want it to be.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

You mean he may have been 'exited out'??

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I'd think if Harves wanted to play in 2009, the club would have let him. It was reported that Roo was very keen for him to play next year.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:You mean he may have been 'exited out'??
Look, I have no idea, have no background info.....just proposing an idea.

No malace, nothing sinister....let's face it, the champ is 37 and has played for 21 seasons and is still a great player....how do you deal with it??? I don't know if anyone has the answer......

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

No chance! I can't imagine for a second that Harvs didn't retire on his own terms.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:You mean he may have been 'exited out'??
You beat me to the punchline :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
JeffDunne

I got the feeling from his comments yesterday that he'd love to keep playing but feels it would be selfish to do so. For both his family and his club.

Very much doubt he was pushed given RL's attitude to Clarke and Gehrig coming out of retirement.

goodie
Club Player

I'll wager the wife and kids had a greater influence on his decision than Ross

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

goodie wrote:I'll wager the wife and kids had a greater influence on his decision than Ross
Yep, they decided it was time to EXIT him in... to the family again :)

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i would say harves and Ross had a chat about what Bangers plans were for next year so Ross could prepare for the comming draft i doubt very much Ross was pushing him to retire unlike a previous coach i dont see ross being the type to want to exit out the champion of the game

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

If what he said yesterday is any guide - no.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

After 21 years @ the club, I think Harvey has more pull than anyone.

If he wanted to play on, he would've.

He decided that it was time to call it a day and though many of us are been selfish saying we'd like him to continue, imagine how heart breaking it would be if he broke down next year and never had a fairwell game due to injury.

This is the last chance we get to send the great man off with a premiership, we've all gotta support this team into September and hope that the chips fall our way.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

not a chance at all. he is the most respected man almost in the history of the afl, there is no way he would have been exited out.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Huzzad
Club Player

I had the same thought too about pressure to quit from the coach, although it is unlikely. Perhaps the way the article put it lead to that question. It sure crossed my mind when I read it. But I think if it had happened and it was revealed later, then there would be a massive public outcry that I can only begin to imagine.

Ros Lyon
Club Player

Re: Was Harvey pushed into retirement???

saintspremiers wrote:One of the media articles states that Lyon and Harvs discussed the big decision last week.

Now, perhaps Lyon suggested to Harvs that he wants to keep injecting youth - primarly because of GC17 and lost drafting opportunities in up and coming years - absolutely no disrespect of course to the great man.

I'm sure Harvs would take this in the right way, and if this is what happend, no doubt Lyon gave Harvs the necessary time and dignity to let it all happen the right way.

I would have loved Harvs to play on next year and hopefully play 400 AFL games, but I fully respect Lyon if he has indeed asked the question to Harvs and prompted the decision.

Whatever happend, I've got 1000% respect for both Harvs and Lyon, well done Saints, it was well managed!
I've studied body language for 25 years!!! For what it's worth, when I saw the Press Conference my first impression was that he was forced.

busso mick
Club Player

Ros Lyon wrote:
I've studied body language for 25 years!!! For what it's worth, when I saw the Press Conference my first impression was that he was forced.
So his smile was not one of relief ? He look pretty happy to me, it's just that everyone else is sad.

oh when
Club Player

Of course the coach would have spoken to him about next year - I bet he has spoken to other players too - this is what I would expect from a professional coach - I reckon the tackle on Harves on Sunday prompted his decision.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I got the feeling from his comments yesterday that he'd love to keep playing but feels it would be selfish to do so. For both his family and his club.

Very much doubt he was pushed given RL's attitude to Clarke and Gehrig coming out of retirement.
I think that this is about spot on.

I think that Banger feels it is time for someone else to have his spot...hence his comments on 21 goes being enough...and on Steven who will be pushing for a senior game next year...

Along with Armo who has been in and out this year, Eddy and Geary.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

oh when wrote: - I reckon the tackle on Harves on Sunday prompted his decision.
No., that had nothing to do with.

Harvey and Lyon both agreed LAST WEEK that Banger would retire this week, and that they would announce it this week. This has been stated in relation to questions asking if it had to do with that incident or to do with the Pies melt-down and wanting to fire the boys up as a result of it.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Ros Lyon wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:One of the media articles states that Lyon and Harvs discussed the big decision last week.

sure you have troll

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Why do such emotional occasions in our history have to be tainted with peoples conspiracy theories????

Cant we just enjoy the memories and say thanks ?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintjake
Club Player

the wife has wanted him to hang up the boots for the last few years.
lol

i blame danielle.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Ros Lyon wrote:

crap. he would not have been forced out.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Why do such emotional occasions in our history have to be tainted with peoples conspiracy theories????

Cant we just enjoy the memories and say thanks ?
here , here!!!