A fitting punishment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

A fitting punishment

No doubt Collingwood will suspend the two players, probably to the end of the year. However, I think there is a better punishment. Get them pissed before the game and make them play the whole match!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: A fitting punishment

perfectionist wrote:No doubt Collingwood will suspend the two players, probably to the end of the year. However, I think there is a better punishment. Get them pissed before the game and make them play the whole match!
How about playing them with a stinking hangover?

Rowdy
Club Player

Re: A fitting punishment

degruch wrote:
perfectionist wrote:No doubt Collingwood will suspend the two players, probably to the end of the year. However, I think there is a better punishment. Get them pissed before the game and make them play the whole match!
How about playing them with a stinking hangover?

Replace any on field re-hydration with a stubbie.

"Our season is still alive," Lyon said. "It's not the end for Robert."

Harvey's mates stood listening to those words, perhaps planning to keep the AFL's longest career lingering a while yet. Then turned into softcocks and blew it YET again.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Seriously - what punishment do posters think is appropriate? (Mods, if you think this should be a new thread, please move it.)

I can't see what suspending them is going to achieve: what sort of "rehabilitation" can they be put through to transform them into reliable truth-tellers.

It isn't a question of the fact that they were drinking, or out late at night, or driving, or whatever. The point is that they lied. If I were in charge of Collingwood, I would sacke them both.

If Eddie McGuire was involved in the cover up, he should be forced to resign.

If the gutless, sycophantic AFL journos let Collingwood and McGuire get away with this one, they should resign en masse.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Beej
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Seriously - what punishment do posters think is appropriate?
Lethal injection.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think a suspention is fair
let the police deal with the real punnishment for providing a false statement

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SaintWodonga
Club Player

I think a 3 week suspension, plus put them on notice.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:Seriously - what punishment do posters think is appropriate? (Mods, if you think this should be a new thread, please move it.)

I can't see what suspending them is going to achieve: what sort of "rehabilitation" can they be put through to transform them into reliable truth-tellers.

It isn't a question of the fact that they were drinking, or out late at night, or driving, or whatever. The point is that they lied. If I were in charge of Collingwood, I would sacke them both.

If Eddie McGuire was involved in the cover up, he should be forced to resign.

If the gutless, sycophantic AFL journos let Collingwood and McGuire get away with this one, they should resign en masse.
My $.02

Frankly, the only thing I would take out of this is that if you want to make the players responsible, you have to give them responsibility. I understand exactly where Malthouse is coming from when he says "you can't punish the team to punish one player", I'm sure we've all played for, and perhaps been the player who could get away with less discipline, because at amateur level is't very hard to enforce that kind of standard - it's a game, and it can be difficult to get some people to view it as anything else.

BUT

Collingwood has been unable in spite of effort to correct this admitted issue at their club. At pro level, there is a greater responsibility, and it's incumbent on teams to behave as teams, 24/7. Malthouse can retain final say if he likes, but he has to empower the group to punish players, perhaps not permanently, but at least over a short term, otherwise something like this has such a strong potential to undermine the integrity of the group.

If the group can stand shoulder to shoulder with Didak and Shaw under teh circumstances, then these are 2 high quality players on a team battling for finals. Keep in mind the problems I'd see in playing with them are that they're out and about when it's inappropriate (and it may be the group knew they would be, in which case, no issue), and that they lied to the team captain (really surprised they lied to Malhouse and McGuire? Keep in mind that when the spin control for this started, their judgement wasn't 100%).

The issue for Collingwood selection is how the group feels about their 2 teammates right now. Malthouse can't decide and Eddy certainly can't. If they'll be a problem, sit them down. If they're not, sitting your stars before such an important game would be foolhardy.

As for the longer term, they need to look to the long term. The law will deal with Shaw, the humiliation thing is just stupid, he palys for Collingwood, the media will take care of that themselves, but what's the group left with? They should decide whether he plays. Didak should be offered up for trade, the group should decide if he plays again. If the club sees it as a deeper cultural issue, so should Shaw.

The coach recently made comments doubting he had the cattle. Perhaps what he actually lacks is the collective will. Making an autonomous decision not empowering their players here will not help, and may hinder fixing the issues that this event exposes.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

alright,
they have had the press conferance i believe so whats the news

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:alright,
they have had the press conferance i believe so whats the news
The press conference will be in about an hour (3pm)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
Lethal injection.
Bit old to make a comeback isn't he?