Collingwood without Shaw- Didak- different team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe

Collingwood without Shaw- Didak- different team

COLLINGWOOD
B: , Brown, Goldsack
HB: Clarke, Maxwell, O'Brien
C: Lockyer, Burns, Toovey
HF: Pendlebury, Cloke, Davis
F: , Medhurst, O'Bree
FOLL: Fraser, Swan, Thomas
I/C: Bryan, Anthony, Lonie, Wellingham
EMG: Stanley, McCarthy, Iles
IN: Fraser, Goldsack, Lonie, Toovey
OUT: Johnson, Wood, R.Shaw (back), Wakelin

apparently O'bree is out as well this week so lets hope so

That means 3 outs

Shaw, Didak O'bree

In Johnson, Wakelin and Stanley?

B: Johnson, Brown, Goldsack
HB: Wakelin, Maxwell, O'Brien
C: Lockyer, Burns, Toovey
HF: Pendlebury, Cloke, Davis
F: Clarke, Medhurst, Stanley
FOLL: Fraser, Swan, Thomas
I/C: Bryan, Anthony, Lonie, Wellingham

I like the look of this side for us to smash and lock ourselves in the 8 eddie

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Port Adelaide fielded the worst side this millenium and we had to pull out all stocks to get over the line.

Collingwoods side is much better than Ports and West Coast even with the outs. Play anything like we have the past fortnight and we won't win.

We're having a lotm of luck with opposition ommissions of late,if we don't capitalise on them we should be shot

Bring back the Lockett era
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I beg to differ...

Port and Pies are both playing at the same level ATM.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:I beg to differ...

Port and Pies are both playing at the same level ATM.
Plus we match up better against the Pies...our past results have been much closer. I think the 6 day break and our own outs are the biggest worry. Having Didak out would be great, but there's still Medhurst, Thomas, Cloke, Davis, et al, to worry about.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

True, but they have Gram, Dal, Joey, Harves, Roo, Kosi and Milne to worry about :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lets look at undermanned teams against us:

WC = we lost (and arguably that WC was the weakest AFL team we have played over a decade)
PA = we almost lost.

What matters most is the attititude of the players that take the field.

There may be no Didak or Shaw..but you can bet your bottom dollar that the 22 Pies that do take to field now most likely will be fired up and whipped to frenzy.

If we put up the effort and spirit that we have shown the last two weeks, I suspect that we will lose.

We need maximum effort from our players for this game. If we give it the Pies may even crumble....but haf arsed committment from our players will more likely see us rolled.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 05 Aug 2008 12:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Batnoe

I know we only won by a small amount against the Port, and we were expected to win, but we didnt play as badly as people make out

Port had 3 goals from 50 m penalties i think were quite flukey with their goals.

We also had 8 more scoring shots than them so we could have converted another 3 or 4 of them into goals and you take their 3 50m out for goals and we could have won by 30 or 40 points and made it look more comfortable

we had 350 possesions and 71 tackles.... that is pretty good, have has anyone got our efficiency in disposal?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:True, but they have Gram, Dal, Joey, Harves, Roo, Kosi and Milne to worry about :wink:
See...it's looking better already, isn't it?

Fatigue is our biggest problem...it'll potentially stop those guys above from performing at their peak.

I've got no problem with the Saints beating up undermanned teams...how many games in the last 5 years have we played with half our starting 22 on the bench, suspended or in hospital? Seize the day!!!

Rowdy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Lets look at undermanned teams against us:

WC = we lost (and arguably that WC was the eakest AFL team we have played over a decade)
PA = we almost lost.

What matters most is the attititude of the players that take the field.

There may be no Didak or Shaw..but you can bet your bottom dollar that the 22 Pies that do take to field now most likely will be fired up and whipped to frenzy.

If we put up the effort and spirit that we have shown the last two weeks, I suspect that we will lose.

We need maximum effort from our players for this game. If we give it the Pies may even crumble....but haf arsed committment from our players will more likely see us rolled.

Well said.

"Our season is still alive," Lyon said. "It's not the end for Robert."

Harvey's mates stood listening to those words, perhaps planning to keep the AFL's longest career lingering a while yet. Then turned into softcocks and blew it YET again.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think it is also worth noting what happened when the Saints dropped Dal and Milne.

In recent weeks the Pies have had many passengers and under-performing players.

Suddenly they may not have Didak or Shaw, but they will probaly also suddenly have 22 committed players rather than half a dozen.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think it is also worth noting what happened when the Saints dropped Dal and Milne.

In recent weeks the Pies have had many passengers and under-performing players.

Suddenly they may not have Didak or Shaw, but they will probaly also suddenly have 22 committed players rather than half a dozen.
Certainly Medhurst would be glad to see the back of Didak, since those two apparently hate eachother...I'm sure Medhurst is more than capable of filling his shoes too (if they're up - he's a fair-weather contributor). Shaw missing would always be a negative for them.

Lets face it, there's so many pro's and con's, the only thing the Saints can control is their own state of mind and their own efforts. If Collingwood run out a bunch of bickering basket cases, great, we sould dust 'em off no probs...if they galvanise, no worries, the Saints will be ready for 'em.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Is it a given they will be suspended?

I wouldn't bet the house on it that they will be.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Is it a given they will be suspended?
For the purposes of this conversation, yes. But you're right, I don't think anyone's betting anything on Collingwood handing out punsihment to it's top players for anything less than murder...even then you'd have to have witnesses, so it seems!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:Is it a given they will be suspended?
For the purposes of this conversation, yes. But you're right, I don't think anyone's betting anything on Collingwood handing out punsihment to it's top players for anything less than murder...even then you'd have to have witnesses, so it seems!
Well it's time the AFL step in FFS.

That lazy CEO just can't be bothered doing anything about it, can he?

I don't blame the Pies trying to let Shaw and Didak play, as it will help them win.

It's time the AFL act on these sort of matters and make the decision for the club.

When Fraser pissed on the side of bar did we want him suspended?

When M&M were up on serious charges did we wan them out of the team?

Of course we didn't!

kaos theory
Club Player

I want didak & shaw to play!

Why? because that will tear at the fabric of the on field team in a big way. You saw how p1ssed off their captain was, before he knew they were lying. Imagine if eddie & mick ignore the leadership group & general playing group AGAIN, and let them play.

There will not be much bonding on the field, and frustrations will simmer just under the surface, which will threaten to cause the team to implode on the night.

I worry more if they are suspended. The rest of the team will come out more united & firing.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:I want didak & shaw to play!

Why? because that will tear at the fabric of the on field team in a big way. You saw how p1ssed off their captain was, before he knew they were lying. Imagine if eddie & mick ignore the leadership group & general playing group AGAIN, and let them play.

There will not be much bonding on the field, and frustrations will simmer just under the surface, which will threaten to cause the team to implode on the night.

I worry more if they are suspended. The rest of the team will come out more united & firing.
I'm not sure that Burns isn't the exception rather than the rule at Collingwood? He seems like a genuine likeable guy with some sense about him. Wakelin also fits that description (interestingly both older players) but how anmy of the others would fit into the 'Burns category' rather than the 'Didak category'?

The players seem to be a mere reflection of their supporter base, the vast majority of whom are 'poster boys/girls' for the general stereotype of the average Filth fan.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:I want didak & shaw to play!
I'm with you on that.

I don't wana give those filthy supporters anything they can make an excuse from, after we thump them.

I hope they play.

ThePunter
Club Player

Port Adelaide played very well on Sunday - their kicking efficiency would have been off the charts.

We also have trouble playing at Subiaco, and combatting Port Adelaide's strategy of four blokes on Riewoldt, and hold everyone before the umpire sees (not that it would have made much difference if the umpires had seen they way they performed on Sunday).

We get Hudghton back, Armo comes in for Ball, and Collingwood lose Didak, H Shaw and O'Bree. Max onto Medhurst, S Fisher on Anthony, Blake on Cloke, S Gilbert on Davis, Dempster on Thomas. McQualter goes to Swan, whom no one seems to respect but regularly cuts us up. Kosi alternates with King in the ruck, which Gwilt moving into the forward line when King or Kosi are off the ground. Riewoldt to roam free on the MCG's wide open spaces. Jones & Armitage to provide the forward line pressure, Milne has a good record at the MCG (45 goals from 26 games), Schneider to appreciate the space as well. Hayes/Harvey/Montagna/Dal Santo to go head to head with Burns/Pendlebury/Lockyer.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Whatever happens, we should be switched on 150%. Our season and finals are on the line this week.

Collingwood is NOT a highly talented side IMO. However, they do work their butts off and play as a team.

Their key to success relies on each player doing their role collectively. I suspect the poutcpme will depend more on how we play, rather than who's out for them.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

whens this press confrence?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

We're a different team without Ball and Max :? Our crowd attendance will mean plenty on Saturday night!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Does anyone know when a descion will be made.

It will a farce if they are left in, even Heath's uncle Tony is calling for them to be dumped.

I hope this publicity doesn't fire them up this week...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Major difference as I see it:

Saints can have 4 or 5 players down on the day, and still have enough talent/ stars to win.

Pies: Can have 4 or 5 players down, but do not have the talent/ stars to win.

They need all 22 at their best to win.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:
I hope this publicity doesn't fire them up this week...
I fear that also.

The Saturday night Melee should be interesting considering not one Saints player will be involved :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!