Thinking out of the box to fix our kicking inaccuracy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

marksnsparks
Club Player

Thinking out of the box to fix our kicking inaccuracy

Given most of the comp has a problem with kicking accuracy, maybe it's time we got ahead of the field and hired someone from another sport to come in and coach kicking for goal?

Suggestions:

Jonny Wilkinson
A punter from the NFL
Andrew Johns

Thoughts people? Personally I'm sick of damaging my voice most weeks screaming "He get's paid $<insert salary here> to kick like that!"

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

build a big portable wind proof dome, and take it with us to every ground we play at.

It's not just goal kicking. Field kicking is shocking too, one of the main contributors to our loss against the eagles was our inability to hit targets.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dare I say it...see my sig.. :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Life just seems to revolve around the box,something i spend way too much time out of......

:lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Place kicks?

esaint66
SS Life Member

Re: Thinking out of the box to fix our kicking inaccuracy

marksnsparks wrote:Given most of the comp has a problem with kicking accuracy, maybe it's time we got ahead of the field and hired someone from another sport to come in and coach kicking for goal?

Suggestions:

Jonny Wilkinson
A punter from the NFL
Andrew Johns

Thoughts people? Personally I'm sick of damaging my voice most weeks screaming "He get's paid $<insert salary here> to kick like that!"

Fair idea, but i wouldn't get Johnny Wilkinson over ...

1. We would have to pay
2. He would do an injury and we would again have to pay :lol:

I say we get Plugger back for some coaching :D :D

esaint66
SS Life Member

cowboy18 wrote:Place kicks?

How about Dave McNamara :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We need more players in the team that have the knack of scoring goals...

Unfortunately Armo has the knack but is not currently winning enough ball to really justify a midfield role.

Birrs has the knack...not for bags of goals ..but as a steady contributor...but seems to have fallen out of favour for reasons that are unclear (he also seemed to beat his man and so his dropping is a mystery to me).

Fiora once again missed a soda early in the game. Unfortunately he is just not going to cut it.

Lenny
gets opportunities to kick goals every week...but misses way too many gettable ones. Obviously he is valuable mid and so he stays in...but if he kicked goals he would be in the top 10 players in the competition.

Ball...great to see him at last kick a soda this week (missed a sitter last week). Please, please, let this be his corner turned. But one kick proves nothing.

Schneider. Lyon must be torn at present. Schneider has the knack of kicking goals...but so far this year his field play has been pretty ordinary with a lot of fumbling and poor use of the ball to team-mates. That said he often seems to get in the right spots.....but badly needs to find form and clean hands with good use of the ball.

Milne...looks to have improved as a player. One of our few shining lights this week.

Roo. Fantastic against the Hawks, but was below par against the Weagles. I think however that Roo has turned the corner.

Kosi Is now getting a reasonable number of opportrunities. But shanks too many. Maybe he needs to do a Lloyd or a Loewe and go through a set routine when shooting at goal to become more consistent.

Dal...like Lenny simply does not kick enough of the gettable goals that opportunity presents.

Joey..has the knack...and could make a good HF/FP..but our shortgae of runners in the midfield keeps him there.

Gram to has the knack...though yes can be errant. I would play Gram as HFF/mid rather than mid/HBF as I think that he could become a more regular goal scorer than he currently is...and one of the few that can be.

Charlie..is almost what we need, but is just that bit short of being an AFL player.

Allen. Has had an up and down year..looking ok at times. Poor at others. We really really need him to develop.

Geary Is improving and now at VFL level he is dominating games and scoring goals. With a bit more mass and experience I think he will bea good player for us in 2009 on. might even surprise this year on recal, butr next year will be better still.

Steven Is only a kid and was taken as a bottom age pick, but looks promising. He just looks likea player. Hopefully he can develop into a goal kicking mid that we sorely lack at present, which is alot of pressue on a young man.

BJ
I just do not think he has the pace to play up forward.

Gilbert Has the pace, but kicking skills have gone backwards this year. May well be wortha try though as last year in cameos he looked good forward.

Ferg showed some good signs at Casey...but then when promoted despite a truckload of marks did little with it. The next week went backwards and then had yet another injury.

Raph shows flashes, but goes missing too often.

So what does that mean....well if Max plays...

This week I would play

Gram/Joey Kosi Gilbert
Schneider Roo Milne
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 28 Jul 2008 3:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Get David Rath over from Hawthorn.

He's done wonders with Buddy!

The bloke I'd have is Stewart Loewe. Fought though his own early career kicking yips to become a very reliable shot at goal. He would be a terrific kicking coach.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Get David Rath over from Hawthorn.

He's done wonders with Buddy!

The bloke I'd have is Stewart Loewe. Fought though his own early career kicking yips to become a very reliable shot at goal. He would be a terrific kicking coach.
I think there is something to be said for having a set routine while kicking at goal.

I know weall snigger at Lloyd with his blade in the grass routine......but as with Lowe if you make ita set routine so that you are not really thinking about it I would tend to think that you will get over your yips.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 28 Jul 2008 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Goal kicking is mental.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:We need more players in the team that have the knack of scoring goals...
Add Gwilt to your list perhaps? Tall, Athletic, and a good kick.

Also, I believe Jack Steven will play forward pocket in his first season.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Goal kicking is mental.
Yes, there is something to be said for the old take away the goal posts and just kick the ball to someone in the crowd.

They'd hit a target 9 out of 10, you'd reckon.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising,

Good post, but what language do you type in?

Very hard to read a long post when no care is taken with spelling, punctuation and spacing.

Ever heard of proof reading? Would make it a lot easier for the rest of us.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gehrig is a good kick for goal

markp
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Goal kicking is mental.
Yes, there is something to be said for the old take away the goal posts and just kick the ball to someone in the crowd.

They'd hit a target 9 out of 10, you'd reckon.
Still very hard to turn off the pressure... Roo seems to kick better when he has no time to think, it's a lower percentage shot, or the game result is beyond doubt.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:saintsRrising,

Good post, but what language do you type in?

Very hard to read a long post when no care is taken with spelling, punctuation and spacing.

Ever heard of proof reading? Would make it a lot easier for the rest of us.
Yes you are right. My apologies and a shocking effort on my part :oops: :oops: That is what happens when you are doing two things at once as I had a call come in and just submitted it without checking.

My apologies and I have fixed it up. :wink:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Thanks mate.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

line em all up 1st one to miss a target cut their nuts out...continue that throughout the team

after what we saw at the weekend the majority wouldnt miss having their nuts cut out anyway

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Yes, there is something to be said for the old take away the goal posts and just kick the ball to someone in the crowd. They'd hit a target 9 out of 10, you'd reckon.
yep. that's the best drill there is for kicking goals.

believe it or not they already know how to kick, and that drill just gets them to trust their body to instincitvely do it.

nothing is better for encouraging you to kick through the ball to the target rather than jabbing at it and yipping it.

however, some players have clear technical problems (such as grip and how they drop it) that need to be worked on as well..

for set shots a routine and a mental checklist, in much the same way that the top golfers use one, is valuable.

once they have the technical side of it down pat, then it's a matter of trusting their body to put it into action.

it can and will break down under pressure, but having the mechanics licked gives you a clear advantage.

once you have done your routine and checklist, think target.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 29 Jul 2008 12:35am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think that if a player is actually thinking how he should be kicking it as he is kicking it that he will miskick it.

It needs to be practised enough that it is just instinctive.

Come game time if it is not habitual....you are toast.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Asked one of the forwards, who shall remain nameless, what he aimed at when kicking for goal.

He said he aimed between the goal posts.

When it was suggested that it would be better to pick a target behind the goals, he said he hadn't thought of that.

When asked if there was any specific skills training for kicking, other than just having shots at goal, the answer was, you guessed it, nope.

JeffDunne

The reason you have a set routine like Lloyd is so you have something to think about other than doubts. It's why golfers go through such what appear on the surface silly routines.

You need a mental checklist that takes 20 seconds.

Then kick it.

You can see with some of our players, they are back to take the shot as quickly as possible (probably under instruction), then the pregnant pause . . . we all can't bare to look . . . you see the brain ticking, the beads of sweat forming . . . then D'oh!!!

Give them something to think through other than missing the shot.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:When asked if there was any specific skills training for kicking, other than just having shots at goal, the answer was, you guessed it, nope.
a worry if that is the case. what could be more important than putting a score on the board?
Asked one of the forwards, who shall remain nameless, what he aimed at when kicking for goal. He said he aimed between the goal posts.
plugger used to try to kick it straight over the goal umpire's head, though i do remember on one occasion him lining up someone in the crowd.

it was the day he decked caven in sydney.

let go a rocket launcher torpedo from about 10 metres at a fellow wearing a swans scarf. an old guy with white hair who used to sit behind the goals.

i think he got him, too.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Asked one of the forwards, who shall remain nameless, what he aimed at when kicking for goal. He said he aimed between the goal posts.
name names :D