We All Love Blondes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NoMore
Club Player

We All Love Blondes

I know we all love our blonde players at the saints but for god sake can we all stop getting ahead of ourselves with C Jones. I am the first to admit that he has played above my expectation but c'mon.

Does anyone seriously think that he is in our next premieship team. I know we don't have much else right at the moment to put in and he does tackle and harrass.

But i would love to see X Clarke back in this side playing half forward and going into the midfield instead of Jones.

I think RL is the only person in the world who actually thinks that he can play

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The following players currently not in the side, in their peak form (not potential) would be ahead of Jones on the selection table.

X. Clarke
Schneider
Baker
Birss
Fiora

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:The following players currently not in the side, in their peak form (not potential) would be ahead of Jones on the selection table.

X. Clarke
Schneider
Baker
Birss
Fiora
Firstly Birss isnt injured and is in peak form and obviously isnt ahead of Jones. Fiora isnt ahead of many and certainly not Jones. baker isnt in the same position but yes the other 2 may be going for CJ position.

mick13
Club Player

Fiora was better last year than CJ is this year.

Not sure why Birss isnt getting picked, and I dont think he should be battling with Jones for his position in the team.

NoMore
Club Player

Otiman wrote:The following players currently not in the side, in their peak form (not potential) would be ahead of Jones on the selection table.

X. Clarke
Schneider
Baker
Birss
Fiora
Oh how i wish Fiora was better than Jones. Stupid Soft clown. He annoys me so much. I think he is a massive asset to our team but won't pull his finger out. DELIST HIM!

Baker doesn't really play the smae position but the other 3 all are/should be walk up starts ahead of Jones.

I am sick of watching him kick the footy like a gimp. I know this topic is just a chance for me to vent but i was so frustrated at his disposal on friday night

esaint66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

X. Clarke
Schneider
Baker
Birss
Fiora
Firstly Birss isnt injured and is in peak form and obviously isnt ahead of Jones. Fiora isnt ahead of many and certainly not Jones. baker isnt in the same position but yes the other 2 may be going for CJ position.

Agreed 100%

They would be in the side if they were better than Jonesey.

NoMore
Club Player

saint edward wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

X. Clarke
Schneider
Baker
Birss
Fiora

Agreed 100%

They would be in the side if they were better than Jonesey.
But surely we have someone on our list available that is better. Do we honestly think he would get a game for anyother club. This might just be me making a stupid statement but is he the worst skilled player in the league. Don't include ruckmen only small guys

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

jesus he isnt that bad

he has developed greatly this yearly and for a mature-aged recruit that is something to be proud of

he is in the team to tackle and harrass ball carriers through chasing....he does it damn well

his kicking isnt too flash but hey...maxy's in the same category in terms of decision making and ball use...but he is in the team for a reason

as is jones...no rose coloured glasses...group the poorer ball users together or not at all

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
NoMore
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:jesus he isnt that bad

he has developed greatly this yearly and for a mature-aged recruit that is something to be proud of

he is in the team to tackle and harrass ball carriers through chasing....he does it damn well

his kicking isnt too flash but hey...maxy's in the same category in terms of decision making and ball use...but he is in the team for a reason

as is jones...no rose coloured glasses...group the poorer ball users together or not at all
They play totally different roles. Surely we can find a player with some skill level who can tackle. It can't be that hard

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:jesus he isnt that bad

They play totally different roles. Surely we can find a player with some skill level who can tackle. It can't be that hard
re-read what i typed

im making the point that cj gets whipped here for poor ball use...he isnt in the team for it...he creates pressure etc etc

same with max...isnt in the team as a ball user...yet its ok for max to be a pretty awful decision maker...

understood???

obviously we haven't been able to find a player who can match cj's pressure and is a better disposal of the pill otherwise he would be in the team right now

saintjake
Club Player

must be doing something right,
got over 100 on champion data points.
kicking has got better/

NoMore
Club Player

i can see the point u r making but pleasae don't compare a true champion of the St kilda football club with someone who is very lucky to even be on an afl list.

Is he better or worse than Jack Daniels. I think he is worse

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Jones must be working on his skills as they are steadily improving,he could turn out to be quite a handy player,he's definitely better value to the team than Allen is at the moment,even if they play different roles in the side................At least Jones can get near it.......

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:i can see the point u r making but pleasae don't compare a true champion of the St kilda football club with someone who is very lucky to even be on an afl list.

Is he better or worse than Jack Daniels. I think he is worse
missed the point again...

what im saying is is that if max was judged on disposal he wouldn't be getting a game...yet various posters whinge about cj's yet his main job in the 22 is not disposal...

way better than old jack...

NoMore
Club Player

No his main job is disposal. He plays on a half forward flank. His goal is to pressure to the point where he gets the ball, and then guess what he is expected to hit a target.

I love his pressure as well. But i am looking at a premiership team and he is not in it.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

X. Clarke
Schneider
Baker
Birss
Fiora
Where would Geary fit in this list? Has been in red hot form with Casey.

I would rate CJ as being close to our most improved player this year. He has learnt that he has limitations with his disposal skills and is now operating within those limitations. He has never had trouble finding the pill. Also, CJ is currently in the senior side. It is up to the others to displace him. A good problem for RL to have !!

mick13
Club Player

Lol yeah, we should be happy we got guys competing for spots!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Not sure where Geary fits in, he made his debut across Half Back, but spent the last few games before being dropped up forward.

I think Birss should be in the side ahead of CJ, for what it's worth.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Not sure where Geary fits in, he made his debut across Half Back, but spent the last few games before being dropped up forward.

I think Birss should be in the side ahead of CJ, for what it's worth.
I dont.

Different horses as others have said.

Birrs isnt gonna run/carry and break lines nor is he going to run down opponents with speed aka Jones. He is good in and under.

Birss is an in and under mid who kicks goals - I think he should be in the side and IMO at the expesne of Mqualter.

We just dont have to many players that can run through the middle and carry the footy - Ball/Hayes/harvey arent line breakers........Gram/Jones/X Clarke are.....

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

CJ has grown on me. Began like a headless chook, but I like the way he chases and harasses. Is also a ball magnet. Has not done anything to warrant dropping IMHO.

I'd like to see Birrs played a s foward pocket. Can mark, can kick, and can apply pressure. However, he does get exposed with fast opponents.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

He seems able to finish ok...

He is in for his forward line pressure.

Give him a go. He earns his own ball and his disposal HAS been better.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saints11
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:CJ has grown on me. Began like a headless chook, but I like the way he chases and harasses. Is also a ball magnet. Has not done anything to warrant dropping IMHO.

I'd like to see Birrs played a s foward pocket. Can mark, can kick, and can apply pressure. However, he does get exposed with fast opponents.
All That's true except for the kicking bit

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

CJ was rubbish last year, he was a waste and I thought he was lucky to remain in the side.

08, he is massively better contributor than he was.

IMO still player 18 to 26 on our list but Im surprised that he is even there.

a confident hard working fiora > CJ, and X's best >>>>>>>>>>>>CJ's best, but X can't string 3 games together without getting injured.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Fiora has proven over 2 AFL clubs he can not and does not perform at a consistent level. IMO he doesnt have the hunger of a Jones yet has more natural skill.

Jones reminds me of a faster Andrew Thompson.

I'll take endeavour and the right work ethic anyday thanks.

His kicking hasnt been that bad this year....

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Right now we haven't got any better options for a quick half forward, but surely people would rather have a fit and in form X.Clarke chasing down opponents THEN hitting Roo/Kosi on the chest.

I agree that he's been earning his spot lately, but he's not in our best team and certainly not premiership quality.
what im saying is is that if max was judged on disposal he wouldn't be getting a game...yet various posters whinge about cj's yet his main job in the 22 is not disposal...
You can't compare the importance of Max's defensive role and Jones'.

Max is the best in the compeition at stopping the opposition's best forward from kicking goals. He the best spoiler in the league and that is an incredibly valueable and difficult skill to master. No one else on the list can perform his role anywhere near as well as Max can. And when he does get the ball he knows to give it off to Chips, BJ or Gram.

Every team these days has at least one quick forward who pressures the opposition defenders. The best ones like Alwyn Davey, Paul Chapman, Daniel Motlop, Leon Davis etc not only chase down the opposition, but they have the skills to finish off their hard work and hurt the other team on the scoreboard. Jones is pretty good at the chasing part, but does nothing with the ball. We have several other players (when fit and firing) who can do a similar defensive job to Jones and have the footy skills as well.
Last edited by mad saint guy on Mon 14 Jul 2008 10:51pm, edited 1 time in total.