Playing Gram In the Middle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cam_buttles

Playing Gram In the Middle

I have always been a fan of gram, and I have always thought he would be a lot more valuable to the team if he was played in the centre. He has pace and is good a getting forward and kicking goals, not only from inside the 50. i think ross lyon has made a great decision by playing him nearly all game in the middle and i would like to see this continue.
thoughts?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I agree, hats off to RL for the move. Also like to see more BJ in the mid feild too...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

we looked a lot more dangerous when we cough cough kicked it long cough cough, than playing chippilotto with backwards kicks and tempo football.

bombing it long created opportunity after opportunity for us.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:we looked a lot more dangerous when we cough cough kicked it long cough cough, than playing chippilotto with backwards kicks and tempo football.

bombing it long created opportunity after opportunity for us.
Fully agree. Rather watch us playing attacking footy. We have the tall timber + Milne so get it down there. Also we are using the corridor more. Earlier in the year we were going too wide.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
esaint66
SS Life Member

all i can say is ... ABOUT BLOODY TIME :wink:

supersaints
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:I agree, hats off to RL for the move. Also like to see more BJ in the mid feild too...
Agree, but Ross should have been playing them both through the middle all season, I guess it was not done because of injuries in the backline?
Most forget BJ was a number 1 draft pick as a top line junior midfielder.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
midas_touch
Club Player

Good to see Gram play a great game in the midfield. Looks like he will be spending more time in the middle now.

Also it was refreshing to see us play predominantly attacking footy last night. I hope we keep it up for the rest of the season.
Last edited by midas_touch on Sat 12 Jul 2008 2:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
aussiejones
Club Player

Gram was good of HB but it exposed his weak defence ....In the centre rotation he can be more creative.

BJ also seems more 'comfortable'.

Could it be both the players and the coach have somehow come to a "comprimise of views' as players seemed not to respond too well to indirect play and now RL is seeing what more direct style achieves : more goals for US.

One concern Last Night was hesitance of players to have a shot for goal .

ie DalSanto

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i thought we saw a little bit more physicality out of grammy last night as well.
he looks comfortable and fit enough in the middle.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
rixxo
Club Player

I thought grams effort on judd was unreal he deserves to play in the middle more often .I'm not a big fan of ross lyon but his coaching effort and player placement is getting better .By the way i think Armitages return has been excellent ,hes getting back in the swing of things and is slowly becoming a benny cousins style player .

m_m
Club Player

rixxo wrote:I thought grams effort on judd was unreal
judd was probs (with gibbs) our best player. he had 30 touches. not unreal :roll:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

m_m wrote:
rixxo wrote:I thought grams effort on judd was unreal
judd was probs (with gibbs) our best player. he had 30 touches. not unreal :roll:
And Gram had 25 disposals, kicked a goal and had 2 goal assists, playing on Judd.

Would we have been better off putting a 'hard tag' on Judd and restricting him to 15-20 disposals and our 'tagger' getting 5-10 disposals?

Who do you reckon got the better result out of the contest last night?

milney044
Club Player

Hats off to Grammy for keeping up with Judd for 3 quarters, certainly no easy task and i was a little doubtful of the match up when i saw it. But Ross seemed to know what he was doing and to he and Grammy's credit, Jase held his own and played a major part in our win.

Judd did manage to break free in the last, but to be honest i had been expecting that for 3 quarters, the man is a freak, full credit to Grammy for finding plenty of his own footy.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

It seems as though in recent years coaches have had such an obsession with having run out of the back line that they keep playing midfielders on the half back line (Gram and Goddard are classic examples).
Hopefully Lyon is starting to realise that players cause more damage if they're kicking it into the forward 50 rather than to the wing.

mick13
Club Player

6 tackles as well. Great pressure.

Remember he used to get 0 tackles a few weeks back.