Eddy - Love the way he goes about it!!!!!!!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

Eddy - Love the way he goes about it!!!!!!!!!!!

3 senior games for 3 wins & 4 NAB games for 4 wins - am I right about that?

7 from 7. Chance or coincidence?

Sure, he's never gonna be a superstar but he does a lot of the little things that often go unnoticed really well. Runs hard into space and does it intelligently. Applies pressure and chases opponents even when the chances of reaching them before they dispose is minimal.

When I look at our team I think of 3 players that really lead from the front - Roo in the forward line, Lenny in the middle and Max down back. But the Rob Eddys in a team are also invaluable - their efforts also rub off on others.

Have you noticed that when Eddy marks he really sprints back off the mark with intensity hoping to give that extra split second to those ahead of the ball to find space? Love it!

mick13
Club Player

The amount of leads he makes which get neglected is staggering. That kid just doesnt stop running. And he's always got like 5-10 metres on his opponent as well.

saints11
Club Player

Nobodys mentioned how good he is at tackling

JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

mick13 wrote:The amount of leads he makes which get neglected is staggering. That kid just doesnt stop running. And he's always got like 5-10 metres on his opponent as well.
Exactly. Is Schneider gonna give us that? Of course the answer is no as he doesn't have the tank. But what I would love to happen is for players like Schneider to realise that they need to do lift their intensity to regain a spot. Then it becomes a prerequisite to play intensely to make the 22.

Great move by Lyon to drop Dal Santo & Milney and good on them for bouncing back with some mongrel and spirit! Milney is kicking goals away from the Dome for christ's sake!!!!!!!!!!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Eddy - Love the way he goes about it!!!!!!!!!!!

JuanTheSydSainter wrote: Sure, he's never gonna be a superstar but he does a lot of the little things that often go unnoticed really well. Love it!

you never know your luck in a big city......the kid is an all australian under 18 player .....so only time will tell.....another lenny hayes is my bet......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

saints11 wrote:Nobodys mentioned how good he is at tackling
Did you see his chase against the Kangas 2 weeks ago? Can't remember who he was chasing but they got possession out of a pack at CHF for us and ran through the corridor bouncing up to the centre circle. Eddy had to clear the pack and then busted his arse when the player already had 10 yards on him. He was never gonna get there but looked like he was gonna burst a blood vessel trying. That sh*% rubs off on others!

JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

stinger wrote:
JuanTheSydSainter wrote: Sure, he's never gonna be a superstar but he does a lot of the little things that often go unnoticed really well. Love it!

you never know your luck in a big city......the kid is an all australian under 18 player .....so only time will tell.....another lenny hayes is my bet......
Nice call. He has got that hardness and love of getting amongst it about him. Similar body shapes too.

Red
Club Player

The best part of him is how well he uses the ball. He doesn't panic.

Guys like that don't need 25 possessions to have an impact on the game.

ThomasR
Club Player

More excited about him than any of our other young'uns, Armo included. Good composure to spot up Lenny last night, very quick hands, runs hard all day and tackles fiercely. Will be a gun.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

best endurance runner at the club too......

stinger
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:The amount of leads he makes which get neglected is staggering. That kid just doesnt stop running. And he's always got like 5-10 metres on his opponent as well.

eventually they will pass the ball to him.....annoying at the moment to see him ignored....

esaint66
SS Life Member

JuanTheSydSainter wrote:
stinger wrote:

Nice call. He has got that hardness and love of getting amongst it about him. Similar body shapes too.

Yep great call, can definately see that happening.

Hope it does too, would love to see 2 lennys running around out there :wink:

aussiejones
Club Player

"......eventually they will pass the ball to him.....annoying at the moment to see him ignored......"

They will be told and will do it once they have confidence in him.

avid
Club Player

stinger wrote:

eventually they will pass the ball to him.....annoying at the moment to see him ignored....
His full pelt leading into space back and across the entire length and breadth of the MCG in the last quarter was absolutely awe-inspiring. And someone eventually passed it to him too!

esaint66
SS Life Member

avid wrote:
stinger wrote:

His full pelt leading into space back and across the entire length and breadth of the MCG in the last quarter was absolutely awe-inspiring. And someone eventually passed it to him too!

I think it may have been Rooey, saw him pass one to him inside 50 at the City end in the 4th.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:
avid wrote:
stinger wrote:

I think it may have been Rooey, saw him pass one to him inside 50 at the City end in the 4th.
\

yep...and he was so stuffed at the time...the ball nearly trickled off his boot.....

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Sometimes leads are to creat space for others more gifted overhead.
Good tacklers have two things - fitness (able to get to contest, 2nd effort) and core strength. He has both.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
avid
Club Player

CeilidhSaint wrote:Sometimes leads are to creat space for others more gifted overhead.
Good tacklers have two things - fitness (able to get to contest, 2nd effort) and core strength. He has both.
And also they're just to tire opponents out and take them out of the game. Bentick was almost crying just trying to keep up with Eddy

saints11
Club Player

JuanTheSydSainter wrote:
saints11 wrote:Nobodys mentioned how good he is at tackling
Did you see his chase against the Kangas 2 weeks ago? Can't remember who he was chasing but they got possession out of a pack at CHF for us and ran through the corridor bouncing up to the centre circle. Eddy had to clear the pack and then busted his arse when the player already had 10 yards on him. He was never gonna get there but looked like he was gonna burst a blood vessel trying. That sh*% rubs off on others!
Yes I did

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Eddy reminds me a bit of Jason Cripps - strong in the body, quick, and takes no sh1t from anyone.

I think if we can give him as much game time as possible, he'll turn into a real asset for us - love the way he goes about it...it's been a few years since we had a hard headed young fella like this come through the ranks....

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Watched him closely at the NAB game in Canberra – thought he struggled a bit with his peripheral vision but still got a fair bit of it.

Have been absolutely rapt with his efforts though this year.

Fast becoming one my favorite player among the young group.

Last week at Willy I watched him closely again and noticed that every time he was rotated through the bench, he would constantly walk the boundary encouraging teammates and couldn’t sit still – just wanted to be back out there – it’s certainly not something you see from every player and it’s something a coach loves to see.

He looked disappointed when he’d be standing near the interchange gate and it wasn’t him who was coming back on.

Rob Eddy will be a gun.

JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

I'm feeling the love......

I remember there being a thread on here about nicknaming Eddy. Was there a winner?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

[quote="JuanTheSydSainter"]3 senior games for 3 wins & 4 NAB games for 4 wins - am I right about that?

7 from 7. Chance or coincidence?

quote]

Same as Jarryd Allen.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure if there was a winner but I heard the commentators call him Eddy Everywhere during the Kangaroos match, i believe that was one of the ones that someone on here came up with...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
esaint66
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
saint edward wrote:
avid wrote:
stinger wrote:

yep...and he was so stuffed at the time...the ball nearly trickled off his boot.....
Yeah wasn't the greatest kick, but who could blame him :wink: