Dempster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Dempster

Where's everyone at with him?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
esaint66
SS Life Member

I enjoyed watching him at the swans and i would love him to re create that form with us, but like all things it will take time.

rexy
SS Life Member

Growing on me, looks a bit more comfortable with the ball than earlier in the year and is a good size with reasonable pace. In front of Schneider and C Gardiner for mine. Could be in trouble V a fit Goose though. Mind you so could Gwilt or Blake, or Max may retire at seasons end? Who knows.

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Looks very comfortable down back to me.

“Yeah….nah””
doggerel
Club Player

I've given him a vote or two in the Saintsational medal a couple of times this year. 3 or 4 one percenters against Freo that saved goals. Does some great work in packs and the commentaors don't mention him cos they are so much more familiar with others. Was good again last night. I laugh when people on here throw his name up every week as an 'out' cos they want such and such back in and don;t know anything about Dempster cos they're just listening to the commentators or have eyes only for Ball, Harvey and Hayes. I reckon he will be an automatic selection down back for 5 years.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

doggerel wrote:I've given him a vote or two in the Saintsational medal a couple of times this year. 3 or 4 one percenters against Freo that saved goals. Does some great work in packs and the commentaors don't mention him cos they are so much more familiar with others. Was good again last night. I laugh when people on here throw his name up every week as an 'out' cos they want such and such back in and don;t know anything about Dempster cos they're just listening to the commentators or have eyes only for Ball, Harvey and Hayes. I reckon he will be an automatic selection down back for 5 years.
Hes been solid without being brilliant. As long he stays reliable he keeps a spot for mine.

“Yeah….nah””
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

He has looked really good for the last few games, as has our backline in general

He has earned his ongoing spot on the basis of his strong performances

Unlike his former Swan teammate, who I was dismayed to hear Lyon talking about bringing back into the side

I hope that won't be at the expense of mini!!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I wasn't sold on his value when we picked him up, but he's been much better than I can recall him ever being with the Swans. He's solid as a defender, but he gets lost when he's used as a midfield tagger. He focuses on his opponent and forgets to look for the ball. When he plays in the backline, he seems to have the confidence to find the ball and run off his man. He's been doing the job on the sort of player that Baker used to take. I think he's in the best 22 now.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's going ok at the moment, but he still gets outpositioned very easily in one-on-one contests. If he could improve his positioning/strength in the contest then he would comfortably be the prefered option for the medium defender spot.

He's not someone we'd miss if he was out though. Is just fair at stopping an opponent and gets most of his possessions loose in the backline when we decide to stop attacking.

As long as we don't have a heap of his type in the side then I've got no problem, but when there's 4 or 5 of Dempster, Blake, Raph, Gilbert, Ferguson, L.Fisher and Gwilt then we are in real trouble.

Next year I wouldn't be surprised to see Luke Miles claim Dempster's spot. Is more athletic and seems to attack the footy with more confidence. Miles could also prevent Attard from getting back on the list.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Very good game again, starting to really find his feet with the Saints.
Will only get better