The Blues game...our best team for the year????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Blues game...our best team for the year????

Well with a Bye the Blues match will see us have available a strong list to choose from...

M Gardiner and Hayes will be both fully fit and certain a selections IMO.

Schneider should be fit....so the queston then is his up and down form.

X is an unknown.....for various reasons..but may be on the table....as will be Raph.

Gilbert is back in the seniors after having been rushed back aftera long lay off with no games with Casey to find touch. Last night against the Kangas he showed that he is gettig his touch back.

Roos is now fully fit and flying.

Kosi looked to be moving free....

Gram too was another who IMO had some niggles earlier in the year which were affecting his game......but he is now playing good football again.

BJ is looking too like he is fully recovered and in form.....ready to start influencing games more.

Lenny...well that first quarter agaisnt Freo showed what he is capable of.

The only real negative for the Blues is that Goose is out for the year....and perhaps GTrain as well.

Counter- balancing Goose is that Blake seems to have improved..his spoiling is better and he is having less "brain fades"...and now seems capable of beinga steady key defender for us.

in the big man department..with King, Gardi, a fit Roo and Kosi all avalable the oss of GTrain is not that critical.

CONFIDENCE

This has been probably our biggest "out" for the year. Lack of confidence leads to lack of run, poor footskills, not enough 1%ers...and lack of effort in general. It hasa multiplier effect as a poor showing in any of these areas impacts on the others.

IMO (and this may just be wishful think...rose clored like :wink: ) I think that the Kangas match will have beena bit ofa turning point for us...and will have restored confidence to the players and the team..

ALL IN ALL

I think we will havea very good team selected.

I think the players will play with greater confidence which will result in better execution.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

the question is will we play to our strengths, and play attacking football, or will we spend our whole time focusing on Carlton's strengths?

last two times we played carlton it was a close thing, carlton played close to the best of their form and st kilda was a collection of stars bludgeoning them down.

IMO if we play our best attacking football, we will smash them.

if we focus on negating judd, f.ebola and co, it will be another game decided by 2 or 3 goals.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Max I am confident will limit Fev....

Our rucks and mids need to play well..

I for one would like Gram fulltime wing/mid/hf

..and Sam and BJ to have midfield rotations.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
JeffDunne

The last two weeks we have won games on effort alone.

If Ross wants effort then he's got 22 players currently giving him that.

I'd like to see us start bringing back more players through Casey and making them earn a spot in the 22 rather than being picked on reputation. Obviously A graders or players that have missed a week are the exception, but Ross has now found that team spirit we so sorely lacked earlier in the season and I'd prefer he work with it.

Lenny's a must start if he's ready but the rest I'd like to see earn their spot.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:The last two weeks we have won games on effort alone.

I'd like to see us start bringing back more players through Casey and making them earn a spot in the 22 rather than being picked on reputation. Obviously A graders or players that have missed a week are the exception, but Ross has now found that team spirit we so sorely lacked earlier in the season and I'd prefer he work with it.

Lenny's a must start if he's ready but the rest I'd like to see earn their spot.
Completely agree JD. The spirit was there last week and this. So were the skills for most of the night. Much better performance after qtr time.

I hope you managed to get to the game.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:

Completely agree JD. The spirit was there last week and this. So were the skills for most of the night. Much better performance after qtr time.
Agreed plus one, absolutely spot on!

Before Im 85
JeffDunne

joffaboy wrote:

I hope you managed to get to the game.
Yeah got to the game. Took the opportunity to bring the kids down to the coast for a couple of days. Cararra is like a suburban ground and kids love it. Plenty of grass to kick a football and entertainment provided by the AFL. Pity they can't do more of it Melbourne. :roll:

As for the team, I'm feeling much better & more confident of our immediate future after the last two weeks. Two wins and the points were nice but more importantly for me is Ross has finally got a spark from the players.

There's still some aspects of how we play that baffle me but I'm sure that's not by design. Get the effort weekly and those issues can be sorted in time while still getting results.

TBH, we were lucky last night. North could have nailed us if they'd kept up their effort and kicked some very gettable shots. However I'm not going to shed a tear for anyone when we've been in that exact some position so many times this year. It was nice for once to be the team that willed itself over the line from a long way back.

IMO it would be a huge mistake to make wholesale changes to the team that played last night.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
IMO it would be a huge mistake to make wholesale changes to the team that played last night.
Good to hear you got there.

I agree with this.

I know the preseason is just a hitout and used for the kids, but the one thing we had in spades was a real team spirit, brought about by kids like Geary, Allen, Eddy, Steven, and Armitage.

It was why I and many others were so optimist going forward into the season proper.

The inexplicible lack of spirit shown for much of this year has been very deflating and dissapointing. Ross Lyon in making a bold statement last week and keeping some of the youngsters like Allen and Eddy and Gwilt in the team this week has, as you said, got the type of spirit that can lead us to go much better than I expected even two weeks ago.

Dont think we can win it, we need to be top four and our indifferent start to the season and % will in likelyhood preclude us for reaching the top four. A top 8 may be a possibility but really the effort and endeavour is what i am looking for. We got that and more last night.

Hopefully others like Geary and Howard and Steven can also step up. I also hope Raph is back in soon and your young one can have someone to look up to. I am sure i dont need to tell you that a youngster with ongoing health issues can get alot from someone suffering the same difficulties as them.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
There's still some aspects of how we play that baffle me but I'm sure that's not by design. Get the effort weekly and those issues can be sorted in time while still getting results.
Do we still sack the coach? :wink:

Glad you've seen the train....I mean.....light.

Effort and intensity when PLAYERS take resposnibility crossing the white line can do wonders.....also the coach accepts the first qtr as "his responsibility".....that should keep some of those on here banging on about Lyon not taking responsibility happy...shame its taken so long for some.

“Yeah….nah””
rexy
SS Life Member

Just hope he does not rush back Schneider X MG Baker etc without a run in the 2s. Lenny the only automatic selection not in the side last week I think.

Maybe this year?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

the influx of youth has been good for us and i'd be concerned if we make wholesale changes for the blues games.

hayes is a walk up start if fit, of course, but after that it is hard to make too many changes coming on top of probably our best win since the start of 2007.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think this would be the best line up against Carlton

B: Gwilt, Hudghton, Dempster
HB: Goddard, Blake, S.Fisher
C: Gram, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Dal Santo, Riewoldt, Armitage
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Allen

Foll: King, Ball, Harvey
Int: Eddy, Jones, Birss, Gilbert

OUT: C.Gardiner, McQualter
IN: Hayes, Birss

Baker, Schneider required to find form/fitness at Casey.
M.Gardiner out for one more week to see if Kosi can continue his good form as a forward/ruck.
Birss in because of excellent Casey (and St Kilda) form.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I think this would be the best line up against Carlton.
like it MSG, especially the forward set up that hopefully will give roo and kosi a licence to roam a bit. allen in would allow riewoldt to play wing or kosi to play ruck, but probably not both at the same time.

JeffDunne

joffaboy wrote:The inexplicible lack of spirit shown for much of this year has been very deflating and dissapointing.
Indeed jb. I'd almost call that an understatement.

I probably shouldn't post this because it's third hand information but I believe a very senior Saint was recently in ear shot of a group of high profile Saints supporters who were passing negative comment on Ross and his coaching. I'm told it wasn't personal simply them passing comment on how the players don't seem to have bought what Ross is selling. However the player took exception and told the group as much and indicated the players were 100% behind Lyon.

"Then why don't you show it?" was the reply to the player.

I'm told if looks could kill we'd have a player on multi murder charges. He didn't say a word but left the group in no doubt he was ticked off. Big time. I'd love to post the names of the people involved but as I wasn't there I won't.

However I was very pleased to hear it and everything I saw Saturday night was in stark contrast to when I last saw the team close up. While I was frustrated early with how we were executing, I could see the effort was there. I was near the bench too and you can tell when a team are working as one. I don't blame Bally for getting back out there a second too quick nor am I surprised such was the attitude being shown by all the players - especially the senior players.

Roo, Lenny, Ball, Kosi, Max, etc . . . I reckon they've all been stung by the criticisms over our supposed lack of leadership. They were all fantastic Saturday night - and yes I'm including Lenny it that.

The result in the end was a fitting reward to the blokes that have had their leadership and abilities questioned.

And I'm including the coach in that too.

Great night. Great result. And best of all I reckon we have our 'team' back.

JeffDunne

Teflon wrote:Do we still sack the coach? :wink:
I've told you dozens of times Teffers that now isn't the time to making that decision.

Ross still has a lot to prove but if he can maintain what we've seen the last two weeks as the low water mark then why would we? The gameplan & skills still need a lot of work though so I'd be disappointed if we at least didn't make some major upgrades to his support team.
Glad you've seen the train....I mean.....light.
I don't follow individuals Teffers, I follow the StKFC.

I'll do as I always do and that's judge people on what they're bringing to the club.

You'll probably be surprised to hear this but those of us that have been critical of Lyon actually want to be proven wrong. We want him to succeed even if it means having to put up with your predictable and pathetic attempts at self justification.

We want the club to be successful regardless of who claims credit for it.
Effort and intensity when PLAYERS take resposnibility crossing the white line can do wonders.....also the coach accepts the first qtr as "his responsibility".....that should keep some of those on here banging on about Lyon not taking responsibility happy...shame its taken so long for some.
When I read posts like this I wonder why people like you place so much impotance on who is the coach.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I think this would be the best line up against Carlton

Baker, Schneider required to find form/fitness at Casey.
M.Gardiner out for one more week to see if Kosi can continue his good form as a forward/ruck.
Birss in because of excellent Casey (and St Kilda) form.
i like it, as i said, but just a thought.

i'm not that big a fan of charlie's because he doesn't kick enough goals, but if we were to keep c. gardiner in as well as allen it might allow roo to play wing and kosi to ruck at the same time for at least part of the match.

this could by handy if we are being trounced in general play and rather than having them getting stale down the other end we could involve two of our biggest stars in the play a bit more with their understudies holding the fort in the forward line.

and having two mobile big blokes like that loose would give us an aerial dominance that few teams can match around the ground.

then again the forward line is much more dangerous with either of them in it. but it would be good to have the flexibility.

m_m
Club Player

crap :oops:

bergsone
SS Life Member

m_m wrote:crap :oops:
C.R.A.P.-----Carlton Really Are Pricks

markp
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
joffaboy wrote:The inexplicible lack of spirit shown for much of this year has been very deflating and dissapointing.

I probably shouldn't post this because it's third hand information but I believe a very senior Saint was recently in ear shot of a group of high profile Saints supporters who were passing negative comment on Ross and his coaching. I'm told it wasn't personal simply them passing comment on how the players don't seem to have bought what Ross is selling. However the player took exception and told the group as much and indicated the players were 100% behind Lyon.

I'm told if looks could kill we'd have a player on multi murder charges. He didn't say a word but left the group in no doubt he was ticked off. Big time. I'd love to post the names of the people involved but as I wasn't there I won't.

However I was very pleased to hear it and everything I saw Saturday night was in stark contrast to when I last saw the team close up. While I was frustrated early with how we were executing, I could see the effort was there. I was near the bench too and you can tell when a team are working as one. I don't blame Bally for getting back out there a second too quick nor am I surprised such was the attitude being shown by all the players - especially the senior players.

Roo, Lenny, Ball, Kosi, Max, etc . . . I reckon they've all been stung by the criticisms over our supposed lack of leadership. They were all fantastic Saturday night - and yes I'm including Lenny it that.

The result in the end was a fitting reward to the blokes that have had their leadership and abilities questioned.

That's all really great to hear, especially considering you've been very critical and not prone to being overly optimistic in regards to our progress etc. (that's not a crack at all)... it certainly was a memorable win, let's hope history shows it to be especially so.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

am i the only one who hasnt warmed to schnider ??

in all honesty im not keen on him coming into the team .. i dunno just somthing about him makes me think he doesnt belong in the saints .... Dempster seems to have fit right in same with charlie (even though hes a crap player ) and even Kingy who i wouldnt of expected after winning the flag with the cats seems to have won a place in the saints heart but schnides ...... i dunno i still see him as a swan not a saint ... am i alone ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:

That's all really great to hear, especially considering you've been very critical and not prone to being overly optimistic in regards to our progress etc. (that's not a crack at all)... it certainly was a memorable win, let's hope history shows it to be especially so.
True Mark but lest cut Jeff some slack......he'sgetting it now and thats most important.

You see....Jeff believes being overly critical and negative is his way of "pepping up and supporting the boys" - and that isnt a crack at all........he actually believes that.

“Yeah….nah””
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

m_m wrote:crap :oops:
Hello you pathetic low life gutter-crawling piece of excrament, or however you spell it.

How is your little life going?

Farewell.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I think this would be the best line up against Carlton

geeeze that must of almost killed you to admit that :lol:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:[

You see....Jeff believes being overly critical and negative is his way of "pepping up and supporting the boys" - and that isnt a crack at all........he actually believes that.
ironic that you post that given the rubbish being spouted regarding dal santo and milne during their time in the VFL.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

if blake has a good game against the blues second tall it will go a long way to giving bj and sam fisher more space in the center

with all three of killa, sam fish and bj now heavily involved in the center...how good does our midfield look??

all this talk of rotations and us especially not having the required amount of capable players....also with armo and eddy coming through (not always getting consistant games however)...

its looking better for the long term week in week out

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.