For All The Lyon Haters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gooner
Club Player

For All The Lyon Haters

For all you Lyon haters out there I am truly sorry. These last two weeks must have been very difficult for you. Today especially must have been difficult. To have victory snatched from the jaws of "Lyon can't coach" must have been excruciating.

As we go into a two week break with an air of optimism permeating the club here are a few suggestions to stop any signs of positivity from entering the dank, fetid places you call your souls.

1 Wear very baggy boxers and tight jeans and then sit in a sauna. The resulting chaffing will keep that grimace on your face.

2 Exchange your mattress for a bed of nails.

3 Rent out "Shoah", the 8 hour documentary about the Holocaust and have it playing on a loop in your living rooms.

4 Buy some Crows jumpers and, with a few mates, recreate the last quarter of the 97 GF.

5 Smuggle some cannabis into Bali and spend time chez Chappelle.

Just a few suggestions.
Last edited by gooner on Sun 29 Jun 2008 12:05am, edited 1 time in total.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I hate his style of football...

I love the St.K football club.......

We could win the premiership under Osama bin Ladan for all I care....so a wins a win, but

Being successful is not about being happy mid-table

bethb7
Club Player

:lol: we wouldn't want to much positivity would we that would be horrible. People have jumped on the we hate Ross Lyon band-wagon way to quickly I still believe in him I think he has the right idea's.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I hate his style of football...

We could win the premiership under Osama bin Ladan for all I care....so a wins a win, but

Sorry sir, you've had too much to drink so we are going to have to ask you to leave. Can we order you a taxi.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart,
WIthout doubt, tonight you are the 'saddest sack' on here.

Maybe when you wake up tomorrow and the sun is still shining, you might have pause to reflect on the absolute tool you have made of yourself on here tonight?

Why not just admit that you went off 'half-cocked' and in hindsight maybe you should have waited?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i still believe we have under-performed given what lyon has at his disposal. perhaps tonight we turned the corner.

SainterX1
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:

Sorry sir, you've had too much to drink so we are going to have to ask you to leave. Can we order you a taxi.
Imagine any team above us playing against us tonight. Would you be so positive still?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

maybe.......

People have lost sight of the fact I am very happy with the win, and have said so in a number of threads, not so happy with the first quarter....

and not so happy with the season thus far......are you?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

We beat the worst travelling team in the league and we're "back on track"..come back and see us when we are 14 and 8 or 13 and 9 rather than 11 and 11 at seasons end........

Can't believe we are happy kicking 12 goals a game.......

A win like this would be great with an understrength team against a far better oponent, not what was on offer tonight....

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: For All The Lyon Haters

gooner wrote:For all you Lyon haters out there I am truly sorry. These last two weeks must have been very difficult for you. Today especially must have been difficult. To have victory snatched from the jaws of "Lyon can't coach" must have been excruciating.

As we go into a two week break with an air of optimism permeating the club here are a few suggestions to stop any signs of positivity from entering the dank, fetid places you call your souls.

1 Wear very baggy boxers and tight jeans and then sit in a sauna. The resulting chaffing will keep that grimace on your face.

3 Rent out "Shoah", the 8 hour documentary about the Holocaust and have it playing on a loop in your living rooms.

4 Buy some Crows jumpers and, with a few mates, recreate the last quarter of the 97 GF.

Just a few suggestions.
Wow. A win and that makes everything right???

Dunno if you noticed, but there are only two teams out there every week....That makes it a 50/50 chance of winning.

Dont use the final score of one game as the be all and end all for the quality of coaching out there....Obviously no one else noticed the Kangaroos running out of legs towards the end of the third term......

Shaggy
Club Player

Does anyone actually hate RL?

I doubt it. He strikes me as one of the true nice blokes you can be fortunate to meet (and impressive with the understanding he is giving to X and Raph's situation whilst being under the gun himself).

But the basketball game style is a different question.

Luckily we seemed to ditch it towards the end of the match :D .

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterX1 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Imagine any team above us playing against us tonight. Would you be so positive still?
why farking not! have a good sleep watch the replay then tell me what you think. I'll do the same. Put it in perpective too. We had two guys in the team only playing their second game of football and one of the best midfielder in the comp sitting in the stands. Add to that, a few of our best 22 are also in the stand. The future is looking pretty good including the next 8 games.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:But the basketball game style is a different question.

do you think that will persaude him to ditch it?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

quite enjoyed that win... only saw the first and last 1/4s on TV and got my updates from SS

though we're on par for the finals... i might just wiat until we beat some really credible opposition b4 i declare that RL is the master and that we've turned the corner

Shaggy
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Shaggy wrote:But the basketball game style is a different question.

do you think that will persaude him to ditch it?
RL appears to be too stubborn to change. He obviously watched too many games of Roos playing basketball.

We need to work on RL's wife and get her playing net ball where goal attack stays in the scoring zone and it works :shock: .
Last edited by Shaggy on Sun 29 Jun 2008 1:15am, edited 1 time in total.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We could win the premiership under Osama bin Ladan for all I care....so a wins a win, but
Hey, Osama would make a fine coach. Would make sure his players got things done hook or by crook. Seemed to have coached his terrorists well before the big kaboom.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
BigMart wrote:We could win the premiership under Osama bin Ladan for all I care....so a wins a win, but
Hey, Osama would make a fine coach. Would make sure his players got things done hook or by crook. Seemed to have coached his terrorists well before the big kaboom.
hmmm... swing and a miss

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Does anyone actually hate RL?

I doubt it. He strikes me as one of the true nice blokes you can be fortunate to meet
I don't hate him, or dislike him, I'm just confused when I see two polar opposites of St Kilda in one game! How can we possibly come out and play like lame ducks in the first quarter, then play this attacking, free-flowing style of game the next??? Surely it's not all Lyons fault...is it?? The players??? Beats me! I sincerely don't know! But...whatever it is I hope we continue that last run of play that got us over the line tonight from now on! It was absolutely refreshing to see!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Isn't life filled with wonderful paradoxes?

The first quarter was a case study of everything that's wrong with lyon's coaching style, but then the team turned it around and scored a heroic, confidence boosting win!! Where does that leave us in assessing lyon as coach, or the quality of the list?

Ultimately who cares? It was the most exciting win since we beat adelaide in 2005

Thatll do for now!!!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Isn't life filled with wonderful paradoxes?

The first quarter was a case study of everything that's wrong with lyon's coaching style, but then the team turned it around and scored a heroic, confidence boosting win!! Where does that leave us in assessing lyon as coach, or the quality of the list?

Ultimately who cares? It was the most exciting win since we beat adelaide in 2005

Thatll do for now!!!
Got it in one mb.

After qtr1 I thought FFS this gameplan is the worst most insipid load of crap I have ever seen. AND THE COACH IS TO BLAME.

However after qtr time it was obvious that the team was not playing to instructions and Lyon got them to play the way they did. No great coaching moves, nothing inspiring that was game changing, but the simple things, get Gram and Fisher to run and carry, dont go so wide, honour the captains lead, win the hard ball etc etc, the usual input from a coach.
It was a credit to the player that they awoke from their topor and played the way they did to overrun North.

As you say was it the coach? Was it the players? I think in this case the players must take the credit for being bold and taking risks. Nothing wrong with giving the players credit over the coach in this instance.

My biggest beef is that some on here will never ever give the coach credit and automatically want to critisise him for everything he does.

mb you have been one of Lyons biggest critics and thats fair enough.

Your post above however is a fair assessment and not just the usual anti Lyon hatefest that is often the hallmark of many other posters agenda and rants.
Good one. Kepp up your posting the way your heart points you. I must admit after qtr1 last night I was well and truly in your camp :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
gooner wrote:For all you Lyon haters out there I am truly sorry. These last two weeks must have been very difficult for you. Today especially must have been difficult. To have victory snatched from the jaws of "Lyon can't coach" must have been excruciating.

Just a few suggestions.
Wow. A win and that makes everything right???

Dunno if you noticed, but there are only two teams out there every week....That makes it a 50/50 chance of winning.

Dont use the final score of one game as the be all and end all for the quality of coaching out there....Obviously no one else noticed the Kangaroos running out of legs towards the end of the third term......
That only makes sense if both sides are evenly matched. So going by your theory If Melbourne play the Bulldogs Melbourne have a 50 percent chance of winning?

gooner
Club Player

Ok I was having a bit of fun with the OP. Something distinctly lacking from this forum for a while.
But, when people talk about the two different game styles in last night's match, do you really think that Ross wanted us to play that way in the first quarter?
Read his comments in the papers today. He thinks the team misconstrued some team instructions. That was fixed and suddenly we were playing atttacking (almost) footy.
And please remember, we still had 7 players out there with 20 games or less.
Lots of positives from the last two weeks. We still won't win the flag but IMO the Lyon must go mob will struggle to be coherent this week.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

The proof will be in the pudding next round.... will Lyon get us playing attacking footy from the get go against Carlton? Will he play blokes in positions that have helped get the team going?

It was a great win by the boys but don't get carried away. My opinion of Lyon's coaching ability will be decided over the next month. Can he get the team playing confident footy or will they lapse again into the rubbish they dealt up during the 1st quarter?

Still lots of questions to be answered.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Just a few suggestions.
We have beaten the Docker outside of WA and the equal worst traveling team in the AFL. I dare say last nights win says more about the fragility of the Roos and their lack of legs in the last half than it does about our mental strength. Ross's game style is the concern (and the reason for all the agnstin here) which was more than evident during our stellar 1st Quarter. Our stop and start chippy play is Lyons trademark thus far it was only when we went away from that style (more GT style) that we actually started to look like we had a clue. Is it part of Ross's game plan to have Milne as you only markingh target inside 50 in the 1st 1.5 Qtrs?

Yes we have won 2 games but that doesn't make a season and will never win us a premiership which is what Toss has been hired to do. The fact that we are no where near that goal puts doubt on his ability to coach at this level.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
But the basketball game style is a different question.

Interesting you say that.....according to todays papers the players where not doing what the coaches wanted in the first quarter...and this was addressed at quarter time.

So the "real" gameplan was what you saw after quarter time.

So what was ditched...was the "players" gameplan in favour of the "coaches" game plan.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....