Best win under Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Best win under Ross Lyon

Without a doubt, this was the best win under Ross Lyon.

This was the first time for a long time we showed spirit, enthusiasm, hunger and desire.

We didn't want to lose and we played from 1/2 through the second quarter like we wanted to win.
I've already praised Roo, but great game Milne, Joey and Dal in the last quarter.

Also Blake beat his man, Gwilt was good, McQualter fought back, Gilbert showed glimpses of his good form.

Especially great spirit after that ridiculous interchange rule was enforced.

Common sense AFL something you don't use.

I tell you something, if that rule is used in a Grand Final and it's the difference between winning and losing, especially if it happens in a tight last quarter, look out, there could be scenes that could make the soccer thugs in England proud.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Absolutely. Terrific win.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The best come-back under Ross.
For almost an entire half I thought we'd be on damage control for the rest of the night.

gooner
Club Player

[quote="Sainternist"]The best come-back under Ross..[/quote

As opposed to which big come back under GT?
Hasn't happened in 5-6 years!
Good on the boys for guttsing it out.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
bethb7
Club Player

Best win this season NO DOUBT.. was fantastic if the boys can play with that much heart and passion every week I don't even care if we lose. Well done Ross

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Absolutely no doubt the best win under RL!
Great to see a lot of players get some belief back!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Ross will get the job done. You watch

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

bethb7 wrote:Best win this season NO DOUBT.. was fantastic if the boys can play with that much heart and passion every week I don't even care if we lose. Well done Ross

Totally agree. Loved the effort by the boys. Also credit where credit is due - Rossy coached well post 1/4 time. GO SAINTS!

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Best Win this season not under rossy tho last years west coast was the best... very good comeback esspecially the way we were playing in that 1st q

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And it was an ugly as F*** game...

But it was a good solid win......but we are carrying on like it was defining, because we came from behind.....teams do this you know, besides we played terrible footy to allow them the lead....

So it was a good three quarter effort

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Get over it! We won, the players finally showed some spirit and run, and most importantly it came at the expense of a team we'll be fighting for ladder positioning at seasons end.

And I won two cartons! :D

gooner
Club Player

People are being positive about the club on this post!

MODS!!!!

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

first time in a long time that we've shown a bit of resolve

first time in a long time a little bit of sun has crept through the clouds

feels good

megs4#31
Club Player

i just love the fact that i was around at a friends for the night because my boyfriend is a mad roos supporter and i was like lets postpone how long i can stay away from him bragging about how he won our bet....

i made a bet with him earlier in the week saying that whoevers team loses has to do all the domestic stuff (cleaning, washing, rubbish out, dishes) for the whole week thinking i didn't really have much to lose if the boys lost

and i get back in my car, check my mobile and see that well we've won. the boyfriends pride is a bit beaten and im just proud of my boys bringing through the goods :) thats why i made the bet cos i knew they could do it GO SAINTS!!! haven't seen a comeback for ages from them

Go saints, 2009 is our year!
midas_touch
Club Player

Best win since the 05 QF vs Adelaide IMO. To come back from 5 goals down from such an insipid first term showed lots of character and heart from the team.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
mischa
Club Player

Yes it was. V good comeback against a quality opposition. We actually seemed to have a bit of flair and gradually began moving the ball better after the dismal first qtr. Long way to go, but pleasing!

"Thanks korters. If Richmond kick more goals they'll win"-R.Scumbag (nee Walls)

The All Spin Zone-Saintsational.com
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping it was a galvanizing win for the team... and that they're all staying up there together for at least part of their break (beats Bonnie Doon).

robbo_25
Club Player

outstanding last 2.5 quarters

robbo
esaint66
SS Life Member

We could have easily have packed it in like many times before, but we fought it out ruight till the end and im a bloody proud of the boys.

People call us soft and we may be physically, but mentally soft players dont win games like that. Well done boys :D

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

megs4#31 wrote:i just love the fact that i was around at a friends for the night because my boyfriend is a mad roos supporter and i was like lets postpone how long i can stay away from him bragging about how he won our bet....

i made a bet with him earlier in the week saying that whoevers team loses has to do all the domestic stuff (cleaning, washing, rubbish out, dishes) for the whole week thinking i didn't really have much to lose if the boys lost

and i get back in my car, check my mobile and see that well we've won. the boyfriends pride is a bit beaten and im just proud of my boys bringing through the goods :) thats why i made the bet cos i knew they could do it GO SAINTS!!! haven't seen a comeback for ages from them
Good for you megs...put your feet up and enjoy a week off like the boys :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:26am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

West Coast win at Subiaco last year was definitely better, but still very good.

I still think North should have won it though, but all credit to our guys for taking the game by the throttle in the lastterm after hanging in in the second and third.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

gooner wrote:
Sainternist wrote:The best come-back under Ross..[/quote

As opposed to which big come back under GT?
Hasn't happened in 5-6 years!
Good on the boys for guttsing it out.
sort of crept under the radar that...probably best leave it there... :wink:

Lyon is slowly instilling some steel into this side.......its not gonna be a one trick pony that only wins when the "stars" come out to play - he wants our side to be able to stay in touch when notplaying well and fight with some resolve and accountability. Something very synonymous with North Melbourne. NOT St Kilda.

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:.......its not gonna be a one trick pony that only wins when the "stars" come out to play - he wants our side to be able to stay in touch when notplaying well and fight with some resolve and accountability. Something very synonymous with North Melbourne. NOT St Kilda.
When have we even been close to anyone when our 'stars' haven't been dominant?

I think this is more of an issue than ever.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Teflon wrote:.......its not gonna be a one trick pony that only wins when the "stars" come out to play - he wants our side to be able to stay in touch when notplaying well and fight with some resolve and accountability. Something very synonymous with North Melbourne. NOT St Kilda.
When have we even been close to anyone when our 'stars' haven't been dominant?

I think this is more of an issue than ever.
When has any team?...truth is more often than not its the "stars"that bring others into the game....(ask Des Headland).

Questions are easy...its the answers...thats where the skill lies...

That aside...it isnt about stars "firing" its about effort from across the board from more (even though they contribute) of our players. What I have seen over the last couple of games (remember who we played and that it is only a few games we are talking bout) is guys like Blake, Gwilt, Dempster, Armitage, Jones etc stepping up and playing important roles. Actually, should Birrs continue to press and X and Baker and co come back via the 2's and do same...we just may be in a position to start to look at some midfield depth for the first time in a long time...

“Yeah….nah””